R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #151
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Dasmopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP SHADOW View Post
I'm one of those guys, and so is DISH.
Can you post a link to the schedule of when you run electric at the Toledo track?
If there are enough cars for a non 104 class, I would say that the only rule should be no Corally or HPI super F1's allowed as those are class killers.
As far as the 4wd chassis, unless you motor the hell out of a 201, I don't think it stands a chance against a strong running 103 or 104
http://www.racersoftoledo.com/calendar.html

Pat from Hobby Stop runs the races on Saturdays and I know he has been following this thread. Maybe we can get him to post on the subject of F1 this summer?
Chicky fan club member #11
Dasmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:45 AM   #152
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
I have no interest in F1 under the rules you are proposing. But it's not like I was going to drive up to Toledo this winter to race indoors anyways. There are established F1 racing groups much closer that don't require $400 cars to play.
If I am not mistaken even if we limit it to the F104 they make multipld versions ranging from 150 to 300 let alone if you get used. So I don't believe you would need a $400 dollar car to participate. I alos believe due to the range in price this was the reason for choosing the F104, for realism and the cheap price (if thats the version you choose).
www.ToledoOneEighthRacers.com
Serpent Natrix 748, Revenge .12, Desoto Racing, Futaba
JJBinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #153
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Sorry 'bout the exageration ;-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBinks View Post
If I am not mistaken even if we limit it to the F104 they make multipld versions ranging from 150 to 300 let alone if you get used. So I don't believe you would need a $400 dollar car to participate. I alos believe due to the range in price this was the reason for choosing the F104, for realism and the cheap price (if thats the version you choose).
Yeah, you're probably right, I been listening to others exagerate and fell into the trap. But be careful. I could find about 7 F104 type versions for sale, and they sell for from $179 to $279 (at Tower) (I know the F104x is just a "first price"). Only the F104 Pro and the new F104X1 are listed as being at 180mm. The Ferrari F60 is 187mm and the Vodaphone McLaren is 183mm. There are four "F104W" versions, they are 205mm wide. The pro doesn't come with rubber tires and the X1 doesn't come with a body. Oh, and the gears are all oddball too. If you buy used, you better know what you are getting... Tamiya bodies are very expensive (double to triple) and they like the "Hop-Ups" too. A lot of the neat stuff comes from Asia and some may not be imported.

So I don't tlhink there is a "range in price" at all. You might look into converting the "wide" F104's to 180mm. Wonder if that is just a misprint?
As far a realistic goes, F1 limits each Team to two cars. What if six MoPars, er I mean Fiats, shkow up?? lol

Hey, on a more interesting suject, how's the Shepard going? I hope to come up and play next week!

Later,
Ned
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #154
Tech Master

Default OOPs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasmopar View Post
From my very first post in this thread.

Ned you know just as well as I do you will have a 104 in a few weeks and you will get it for 15 bucks with six 5 gallon buckets of spares. It's your way. You even said you bought the 4wd car to race a series before. How would this be any different? You have more R/C cars than most Hobby shops so stop pretending you don't want another one.

As for us not listening, you are wrong. We are all paying close attention to this thread and reading every word posted. Some guys don't even post they just lurk then mention their ideas in person. So when you find a awesome deal on a used 104 let me know, if you don't want it that is.
Sorry Lon II. I didn't see the thread here until long after I say the link to a 3Racing car on FB. Plus I missed the line about INDOOR. My bad...

Nope won't have a Tammy, you can have all the deals you find! ;-) I never have liked the t-plate or disk damper type suspension.

IF I ever get to Toledo in the winter, and you are actually running F1, I will beg to be allowed to run my 3Racing F109 narrowed to 180mm and on rubber tires. I'll pay double the entry fee and marshall twice per round, and promise I won't win!!! Like I have to promise not to win!! lol

Later,
Ned
Old 06-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #155
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Yeah, you're probably right, I been listening to others exagerate and fell into the trap. But be careful. I could find about 7 F104 type versions for sale, and they sell for from $179 to $279 (at Tower) (I know the F104x is just a "first price"). Only the F104 Pro and the new F104X1 are listed as being at 180mm. The Ferrari F60 is 187mm and the Vodaphone McLaren is 183mm. There are four "F104W" versions, they are 205mm wide. The pro doesn't come with rubber tires and the X1 doesn't come with a body. Oh, and the gears are all oddball too. If you buy used, you better know what you are getting... Tamiya bodies are very expensive (double to triple) and they like the "Hop-Ups" too. A lot of the neat stuff comes from Asia and some may not be imported.

So I don't tlhink there is a "range in price" at all. You might look into converting the "wide" F104's to 180mm. Wonder if that is just a misprint?
As far a realistic goes, F1 limits each Team to two cars. What if six MoPars, er I mean Fiats, shkow up?? lol

Hey, on a more interesting suject, how's the Shepard going? I hope to come up and play next week!

Later,
Ned
Those specs may be mis-leading
All of the modern F1 bodies on the F-104 should be within the "realistic" class
The retro body 104 kits, have wide rear tires, and 103 front suspension, they are wide like the 103 kits.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #156
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

In reality, you could buy a 104 Ferrari F60 kit, correct tires, and a possibly tamiya shock and you would be ready to roll. That's bare bones, but a lot of the stuff is just bling or less than useful. The only things that make a big difference are the aluminum diff (easier to deal with tire changes) and aluminum motor mounts (cooling).

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #157
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
In reality, you could buy a 104 Ferrari F60 kit, correct tires, and a possibly tamiya shock and you would be ready to roll. That's bare bones, but a lot of the stuff is just bling or less than useful. The only things that make a big difference are the aluminum diff (easier to deal with tire changes) and aluminum motor mounts (cooling).
Hey Rob ......
You would say they are the only parts that really make any performance difference then? ......

BM
Old 06-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #158
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace View Post
Hey Rob ......
You would say they are the only parts that really make any performance difference then? ......

BM
I think those are the biggest bang for the buck, and the most needed. Things like the heavy pivot are nice, but you can do the same thing with $5 of stick on lead. If you are not racing TCS races, you can just cut the upper deck like the split upper deck they sell and save the money. They make a lot of money on TCS since you can't cut stuff up or drill on the car.

The only other thing I would get is 3mm shims in .5 and 1mm. You can change a lot of stuff geometry wise that way.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #159
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
I think those are the biggest bang for the buck, and the most needed. Things like the heavy pivot are nice, but you can do the same thing with $5 of stick on lead. If you are not racing TCS races, you can just cut the upper deck like the split upper deck they sell and save the money. They make a lot of money on TCS since you can't cut stuff up or drill on the car.

The only other thing I would get is 3mm shims in .5 and 1mm. You can change a lot of stuff geometry wise that way.
Ok. Thank you for the heads-up. Good stuff to know.
I watched a couple of your vids the other day. Very informative. Hard to see on screen what your on about and it doesn't help me not having the car yet but either way ..... good info'. Thanks.

BM
Old 06-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #160
Tech Elite

oh ... and where you getting your shims from Rob?
Old 06-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #161
Tech Champion

TOP, 3racing, a bunch of companies sell them.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #162
Tech Elite

ok. Thanks
Old 06-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #163
Tech Master

Default Comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
Those specs may be mis-leading
All of the modern F1 bodies on the F-104 should be within the "realistic" class
The retro body 104 kits, have wide rear tires, and 103 front suspension, they are wide like the 103 kits.
If you allow the F104W (wide) bodies to run with the 180mm set-up it won't be very realistic... IMHO If not you are back to very few body choices.

Ned

How's this:
Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.
Henry Ford

Interesting how great minds.....

Last edited by aarcobra; 06-09-2011 at 09:52 PM. Reason: correct error
Old 06-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #164
Tech Champion

Quote:
If you allow the F104W (wide) bodies to run with the 180mm set-up it won't be very realistic... IMHO If not you are back to very few body choices.

Ned

How's this:
Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.
Henry Ford

True, that's why I said "Modern" not Retro bodies.
F104 Pro, Ferrari F60, McLaren MP4-24 = Modern
Lotus 79, McLaren MP4-5,6, Ferrari 643 = retro

There are more modern era bodies available that are not Tamiya brand as well.

http://d-drivesportsenglish.com/inde...ort=20a&page=3

Quote:

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

Last edited by RedBullFiXX; 06-09-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:09 PM   #165
Tech Champion