R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-08-2011, 12:39 AM   #136
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasmopar View Post
Thats what I thought also when I read that. I was thinking pick your own dial in but then the fastest car still gets the most laps in a given time assuming he hits his dial in every lap.
Having a fixed index that everyone dives to would certainly be much easier to work with, but a dial your own can work you would just have to convert laps completed within the dial in to a percentage against total completed laps. IE total laps 20, total at index 15, 75% consistency.

Quote:
Then I also thought the best thing to do would build a car that only goes like 7mph and you can just hold it wide open the whole time and run a good line since its so slow and win since most other cars would have a hard time lapping that slowly
I guess under any system there are those who might go to some extreme to play in an obvious unfair manner, or against the spirit of the rules and fair play. SO i guess in a rung what you bring system you would still require 1 rule, that the car be going fast enough to require the use of breaks in more than 1 location on the track. This way, you could not drive your 7km/h model T in such a class.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:46 AM   #137
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Dasmopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber View Post
Having a fixed index that everyone dives to would certainly be much easier to work with, but a dial your own can work you would just have to convert laps completed within the dial in to a percentage against total completed laps. IE total laps 20, total at index 15, 75% consistency.

I guess under any system there are those who might go to some extreme to play in an obvious unfair manner, or against the spirit of the rules and fair play. SO i guess in a rung what you bring system you would still require 1 rule, that the car be going fast enough to require the use of breaks in more than 1 location on the track. This way, you could not drive your 7km/h model T in such a class.
LMAO I was just thinking out loud and not really thinking I would want to do that.
Chicky fan club member #11
Dasmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:12 AM   #138
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
LMAO I was just thinking out loud and not really thinking I would want to do that.
LOL yeah i gathered that, but, the mice will always find a way to the cheese and eventually someone would pull a stunt like this. So really, what you highlighted, is the need to think creatively when designing your rule sets, because someone will find a loophole in there eventually.

Atleast tho, in this case, the obvious cheater is obvious, unlike the guy who has his 21 turn motor rewound as a 10.

Oh and KUDOS for being uber nerdy and knowing where my name comes from.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:00 AM   #139
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
The plan is to get this class we are discussing in this thread going in the fall for indoor carpet but by all means we can get something going this summer on the outdoor track also. Russ Lazerguy said he has guys who raced at his track that have F1 cars also. I'm sure he could put in a few calls and get them guys fired back up.
I'm one of those guys, and so is DISH.
Can you post a link to the schedule of when you run electric at the Toledo track?
If there are enough cars for a non 104 class, I would say that the only rule should be no Corally or HPI super F1's allowed as those are class killers.
As far as the 4wd chassis, unless you motor the hell out of a 201, I don't think it stands a chance against a strong running 103 or 104
BP SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:15 AM   #140
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
Unless something has changed the next Electric/Saturday race is not until June 18. There has not been one scheduled for the 11th ("prior commitments" I heard) and now with the problems with the track sealer, Saturday the 11th is to be a test the track out day if it looks ok by then. Gas racing Sunbday.(Info from VP WCK).

I believe the TC's are all running rubber.

I was going to bring my F109 but it's not allowed and probably not realistic enough for these "purists" lol

Good Luck Racing, Hope to meet up with you June 18, I have VTA, 17.5 TC (could go mild mod). I you can, let me know what the largest class will/might be.

Ned (Southern Most Member, One-Eight Racers.............
This is for inside......

So...

You can run whatever you like outside as of now

But If your thinking about F1 Inside and outside you may want to wait to see when the rules get posted(for indoors). wont be long maybe by monday 6-13 Just keep following the thread
2011 Roar Nats 1/8th Open, 5th
2012 GLC 1/8th Open Q7 Finish 5th, 2013 GLC 1/8th Open Q4 Finish 7th
Vector03cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:20 AM   #141
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP SHADOW View Post
I'm one of those guys, and so is DISH.
Can you post a link to the schedule of when you run electric at the Toledo track?
If there are enough cars for a non 104 class, I would say that the only rule should be no Corally or HPI super F1's allowed as those are class killers.
As far as the 4wd chassis, unless you motor the hell out of a 201, I don't think it stands a chance against a strong running 103 or 104
BP why not just race wit hthe rest of the group in the 104 class? or 180mm class whatever it might become.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:34 AM   #142
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector03cobra View Post
BP why not just race wit hthe rest of the group in the 104 class? or 180mm class whatever it might become.
I will run the 104 class
But I also know there are guys out there who own chassis other than 104's that want to race but dont want to pony up for a new chassis.
IMO F1 should be one class with a common powertrain formula ( 2s Lipo silvercan /21.5 brushless etc) , and a common tire ( Ride or Pit Shimizu that fits your chassis of choice, but a common compound ie; hard fronts/soft rears)
My issue with foam is that there will be people that have no problem whittling down a brand new tire to less than half of its original sidewall to go fast. This increases the cost to be truly competitive. With rubber you have the initial investment , but your rollout and rideheight is locked, so you dont have to retune the car as the tires get smaller. Also with a fixed diameter the ratios will be much closer which means the racing will be closer.
I will plan to come down on the 18th, and I will bring my 104, and a 103, I want to see how much difference there is between the two on this particular track.
BP SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:58 AM   #143
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP SHADOW View Post
I will run the 104 class
But I also know there are guys out there who own chassis other than 104's that want to race but dont want to pony up for a new chassis.
IMO F1 should be one class with a common powertrain formula ( 2s Lipo silvercan /21.5 brushless etc) , and a common tire ( Ride or Pit Shimizu that fits your chassis of choice, but a common compound ie; hard fronts/soft rears)

My issue with foam is that there will be people that have no problem whittling down a brand new tire to less than half of its original sidewall to go fast.
This increases the cost to be truly competitive. With rubber you have the initial investment , but your rollout and rideheight is locked, so you dont have to retune the car as the tires get smaller. Also with a fixed diameter the ratios will be much closer which means the racing will be closer.[/B]

I will plan to come down on the 18th, and I will bring my 104, and a 103, I want to see how much difference there is between the two on this particular track.
< This guy.

also a reason I am in favor of rubber.

The 18th is a outdoar track electric run, not what were currently are talking about for rules.

But feel free to run your car on the outdoor track.

Everything talked about currently is for indoors.

If it comes down to it the biggest rule is 180mm, 21.5/silver, 2s, rubber, stock body and wing.

that covers a bunch pretty much UF1 rules , anyways look forward to meeting you and checking out your cars.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:00 AM   #144
Tech Elite

Quote:
I have no clue but someone posted some batteries that would fit back 4 or 5 pages in this thread.
Ok. Thanks for replying ...... I'll look back and see if I can find them.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #145
Tech Apprentice

The Pit's on the F104 and F103 worked very nicely on carpet at MSI, however, the Tamiya 104 rubber was tough to get hooked-up on carpet. At the TCS regional events everyone ran Tamiya foam. Brad, Mark Rodney, and I have been running F1's consistently for the past 15 years or so.
DISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:22 PM   #146
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stregone View Post
I would allow any F1 car (except the F1 shaped pan cars). Unless all of the drivers at your club are world class, it won't make a difference.
This is very true. At the club level the driver will be the biggest difference. I raced this past weekend with my 1/10th 4wd buggy in the 1/8th scale class, no other 1/10th scales showed up. I could have easily been top three except I kept taking myself out traction rolling in corners so I ended up 4th. Going by what is being in said in this thread I should have been several laps behind and just getting run over. Just regulate the motors and tires. Anymore than that you are getting to complicated for no real gain. If you start to see that something other than a skilled driver is allowing someone to run away in the class look at changing things for the next season. You cannot cheat if the rule is not there in the first place.

Visit my Youtube channel for HD R/C videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/DHCross1
CR0SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #147
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR0SS View Post
This is very true. At the club level the driver will be the biggest difference. I raced this past weekend with my 1/10th 4wd buggy in the 1/8th scale class, no other 1/10th scales showed up. I could have easily been top three except I kept taking myself out traction rolling in corners so I ended up 4th. Going by what is being in said in this thread I should have been several laps behind and just getting run over. Just regulate the motors and tires. Anymore than that you are getting to complicated for no real gain. If you start to see that something other than a skilled driver is allowing someone to run away in the class look at changing things for the next season. You cannot cheat if the rule is not there in the first place.
This is very true.... especially the last sentence.
I want to try and get down to Joliet on the 18th but may not have the car built by then??!!
Although, I am looking for somewhere to race on the 26th June
Any ideas anyone?

BM
Old 06-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #148
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector03cobra View Post
This is for inside......

So...

You can run whatever you like outside as of now

But If your thinking about F1 Inside and outside you may want to wait to see when the rules get posted(for indoors). wont be long maybe by monday 6-13 Just keep following the thread
Thanks for the clarification Jeff. I have no interest in F1 under the rules you are proposing. But it's not like I was going to drive up to Toledo this winter to race indoors anyways. There are established F1 racing groups much closer that don't require $400 cars to play.

As far as the outdoor Saturday electric stuff, I thought Pat and Bill were incharge of that, not the gas club. Heard you sold your 1/8 GTE, what electric are you racing?

Good luck and congrats on your MW Series win! I bet it was the W! lol

Ned
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #149
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default ????

Quote:
Knock it off Ned. I know your feelings are hurt about your Ned (4wd F1) car not being legal to run this winter on carpet but these guys are talking about running on sat at the outdoor track which I have zero say over since I don't race direct or even race on saturday. However if there are guys coming to race a F1 car on saturdays I will be making a order now for a car instead of waiting for the X1 to come out.

I'm pretty excited about these F1 cars and if guys wanna run this summer count me in! Should we start a new thread for the outdoor rules? lol

As far as the track goes it will be fine. I was out there today checking it out.
No sure what you are talking about? You guys have your minds made up about your rules and even though many folks' suggestions are similar to mine, you pay no attention.
My feelings are not hurt in anyway! (although I am getting tired of this "ned" car stuff.)

I have no interest or intention of running a 4wd F1 car anywhere or any time. The only reason I have one at all is that was what the majority ran when I tried to race in a certain series. I would be far out classed, especially outdoors. Excuse me to hell and back, but your initial post on FB made no mention of indoor or outdoor. Since you mentioned seeing them run outdoors, any logical person would deduce that you intended to run them outdoors also. Jeff so tactfully cleared up that matter and my interest to actually race one with ya'll went to "0" real fast. I did continue to try to contribute to the conversation but when I saw my comments were not helping, more like beating a dead horse ;-), i opted out.

The comment that my car was not legal or realistic enough was based on what I have read about the guys thinking about racing. Mine is an F109 with foam tires. It is 200mm wide and the body is painted in a "throwback" Dan Gurney Eagle job , as I think it would look, not a current F1 type look. (actually I don't think much of the current F1 designs or paint jobs, but I'm old school to a fault. lol)

So you do you thing and have fun, good luck!
Planning on coming up middle of next week! Hope the track is good and the weather too!

Later,
Ned
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:54 PM   #150
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Dasmopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
No sure what you are talking about? You guys have your minds made up about your rules and even though many folks' suggestions are similar to mine, you pay no attention.
My feelings are not hurt in anyway! (although I am getting tired of this "ned" car stuff.)

I have no interest or intention of running a 4wd F1 car anywhere or any time. The only reason I have one at all is that was what the majority ran when I tried to race in a certain series. I would be far out classed, especially outdoors. Excuse me to hell and back, but your initial post on FB made no mention of indoor or outdoor. Since you mentioned seeing them run outdoors, any logical person would deduce that you intended to run them outdoors also. Jeff so tactfully cleared up that matter and my interest to actually race one with ya'll went to "0" real fast. I did continue to try to contribute to the conversation but when I saw my comments were not helping, more like beating a dead horse ;-), i opted out.

The comment that my car was not legal or realistic enough was based on what I have read about the guys thinking about racing. Mine is an F109 with foam tires. It is 200mm wide and the body is painted in a "throwback" Dan Gurney Eagle job , as I think it would look, not a current F1 type look. (actually I don't think much of the current F1 designs or paint jobs, but I'm old school to a fault. lol)

So you do you thing and have fun, good luck!
Planning on coming up middle of next week! Hope the track is good and the weather too!

Later,
Ned
Quote:
None of us have run F1 indoor or outdoor so we are looking for advise on the rules. We'd like to run them on a carpet board track in the winter mostly so 17.5 might be to fast? No idea how fast these cars are we just know they look cool and fun!
From my very first post in this thread.

Ned you know just as well as I do you will have a 104 in a few weeks and you will get it for 15 bucks with six 5 gallon buckets of spares. It's your way. You even said you bought the 4wd car to race a series before. How would this be any different? You have more R/C cars than most Hobby shops so stop pretending you don't want another one.

As for us not listening, you are wrong. We are all paying close attention to this thread and reading every word posted. Some guys don't even post they just lurk then mention their ideas in person. So when you find a awesome deal on a used 104 let me know, if you don't want it that is.
Chicky fan club member #11
Dasmopar is offline   Reply With Quote