R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-28-2011, 11:37 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Trying to start a local onroad track...advices plz!

Here's the deal. On road scene all but died here locally due to lack of support and unable to attract new racer. Everyone is into dirt (which I am too!) However a few of us miss the good ole days when we set up our own onroad course in front of the LHS. But it died off cuz most ppl didnt want to do the work of setting up a large track(almost 200 feet straight)/driver stand(which was huge) and setting up with 3 or 4 ppl was for the birds and eventually we all just quit...Got a bunch of onroad gear and no where to run.

So I had a serendipitous moment while talking to another former onroader the other day. Lots of local parks here with huge parkinglots. I thought maybe we can start a petition and get the parks system to partition us a small piece of their parking lot(which they have a huge aboundence of) maybe 50 x 50. Fence it off. Build a small technical track and a driver stand and run there in the name of a local rc club...and slowly get our onroad back.

Anyone had similiar ideas..? Success stories? Or am I just dreaming? Gosh I miss onroad bad. LOL
nitronutzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:42 PM   #2
Tech Regular

and with these sh!tty weather we've had here in the ohio valley..the dirt track's been out of commission seems like for weeks due to the rain. So much better advantageous to run onroad..drys in 2 hours! Lol...I miss my TC5 and my RRR EVO2 which is just collecting dust. It's a damn shame.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:35 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I was trying to get use of a municipal parking lot for a track as well. I couldn't even get a response to my inquiries so I ended up buying some Ozite and renting out a banquet room at the community centre (arena) for 100$ a night. Our third meet is on Tuesday and so far it's been going well, enough people to cover rental costs and new interest all the time.

Hopefully you have better luck with your local Gov't than I did.
Schumacher Mi4cx CRC Gen-X 10 LE
BrodieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
Tech Regular

any other thought? Anyone actually have luck in getting the local governement to cough up a small piece of parkinglot?
Old 05-29-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just talk to them. We have a city owned outdoor offroad track near me, with two more towns interested. One town is also interested in an indoor carpet track for the winter. I have also talked to a local park about using an unused cement pad for an on road track. They just have to talk it over with the county commissioners.

The best part about the current track is the people behind it have done all the work. The city just provided the space, dirt and equipment. It now has a full 7' tall covered drivers stand, and AMB timing. It costs nothing to go practice or race there.
For those with facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rifle-...39911309386602

Visit my Youtube channel for HD R/C videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/DHCross1
CR0SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR0SS View Post
Just talk to them. We have a city owned outdoor offroad track near me, with two more towns interested. One town is also interested in an indoor carpet track for the winter. I have also talked to a local park about using an unused cement pad for an on road track. They just have to talk it over with the county commissioners.

The best part about the current track is the people behind it have done all the work. The city just provided the space, dirt and equipment. It now has a full 7' tall covered drivers stand, and AMB timing. It costs nothing to go practice or race there.
For those with facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rifle-...39911309386602
damn that's awesome. I'll have to get the guys together and keep hopes alive.lol
Old 05-29-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
Tech Elite

It's always good to have a few cheap classes for people starting into the hobbly. Mini, F1 and stock SCT have been favorites in our club. They're easy to get into, and because of our stock motor rules, the race is kept fair. Then there are the more high performance classes, like touring car, WGT and 12th scale.

They also give out trophys and plaques for 1st 2nd 3rd in each class. These are given out after the track has been put away. They also run a raffle to keep people to stay for the clean up.

Not sure if any of this will help, but it's an idea.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:37 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxxrocket View Post
It's always good to have a few cheap classes for people starting into the hobbly. Mini, F1 and stock SCT have been favorites in our club. They're easy to get into, and because of our stock motor rules, the race is kept fair. Then there are the more high performance classes, like touring car, WGT and 12th scale.

They also give out trophys and plaques for 1st 2nd 3rd in each class. These are given out after the track has been put away. They also run a raffle to keep people to stay for the clean up.

Not sure if any of this will help, but it's an idea.
Definitely good ideas. We will try to make onroad rc accesible to everyone. The problem is..No Track. And we've tried setting up temp tracks in the past and it eventually died off due to the work involved and no one wants to do the work. If we had a permanent track alot of the ppl will come back for sure. Just got to figure out a way to sway the park authoirties to give us a small piece of their lot so we can fence it off and build a track on.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #9
Tech Adept

you could always drive up here to cinci and run on the track at joyce park
Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:38 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missle View Post
you could always drive up here to cinci and run on the track at joyce park
Would love to..but with gas the way it is and it's hard enuf to get my married friends to even come out locally..lol. Someday I would love to run at joyce park and have u guys laugh at my antiquated equipment
Old 05-31-2011, 08:22 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Has anyone had luck on getting the local parks or government to cough up a piece of land for rc use?
Old 05-31-2011, 08:43 PM   #12
Regional Moderator

The city approached us about using the site of a former skatepark for an asphalt track. We have enough work keeping our indoor club track going, otherwise we would have jumped on it. Decent location, right in front of the city Rec Center, right across from the public library.

The next town south has been using public park land for an off-road track for over twenty years.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:18 PM   #13
Tech Regular

wow that's awesome. Here in louisville they build a skate park, a bmx track..an airfield for rc planes but nothing...nothing for onroad rc..We have one privately owned off road track and that's it..for a large city (13th in US by population I belive) is just horrible..
Old 05-31-2011, 09:38 PM   #14
Tech Rookie

Default airfield

This isn't exactly similar but maybe will serve as inspiration. I live near a model airfield that is part of one of the local forest preserves. The airfield is "run" by a local RC club. I don't know a lot other than when the airfield was moved to its current location, the club provided money to make an asphalt strip and the PD maintains the grounds. It's quite nice. I think the club donates money on a somewhat yearly basis for maintenance and the PD requires pilots to buy a license to fly there. The license is like 35$/year (or maybe it covers multiple years) but it also requires one to show they are a member of the AMA (i think) which includes insurance.

If I was to offer advice, I'd would say the money for building the track is insignificant. (either your club is bringing the coin or the local govt has funds allocated for new projects) The "hard" part is probably demonstrating a long-term plan of how the facility will be maintained and where the money comes from to cover those costs and what's going to cover/prevent lawsuits (like insurance). You should probably try to contact a park district or some part of the govt that handles parks/land management because most likely the rest of the local government is just concerned with local businesses. If you show up with a plan where the RC club has only 5 members and 100$ in dues collected, that probably won't inspire confidence. I'm guessing based on what you said, this is probably a 5 year plan. You probably need to build your club and rent a church parking lot or something, collect money and go back to the heavy lifting of build up/tear down of a track until your club has enough members and cash to show the park system that you're serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitronutzzz View Post
Anyone had similiar ideas..? Success stories? Or am I just dreaming? Gosh I miss onroad bad. LOL
hams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:21 AM   #15
Tech Champion

We race on a small 10x15 metre carpet track.

We allow 13.5 or 27t (any) sedan, 1/10th off road and 1/18th.

The racing is very close due to the small size of the track, brushless probably has the edge because it has more low down power.

I would say go with something of a similar size so it allows people to get in the hobby cheaply, or someone you know who races off road and still has some brushed motor/esc participate and still be quite competitive with 27t.

Anything to get a regular community of people racing is good IMO....

Another thing, try to make the track markers as friendly as possible, no one likes a broken car and being out of the race.

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote