R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Default When corner balancing or setting tweak what is an acceptable shock collar variance?

I'm at .018" (.4mm) rear and .021 (.5mm) front variance in shock collars. It is visible to the eye to be certain but is this acceptable variance to obtain a proper corner weight?

Thanks
Dave
TT_Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Some springs have variances. Not too many are perfectly match to exact height measurements.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:08 PM   #3
Tech Elite

i understand that but what variance in colar hight is acceptable? THere is more to it than just spring height. I will check the uncompressed heights w/ my caliper tomorrow just to see but I don't think this is the issue.

Dave
Old 05-29-2011, 04:40 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

There is no acceptable or unacceptable difference, it's your car so only you can decide what you're happy with.

Personally I don't use the spring collars in this way. I balance the car using lead, and use the collars to remove any tweak. Since I also build the car without any tweak in the first place, the difference in collars will always be small, as it will only be accounting for manufacturing tolerance, difference in springs, and any small amount of tweak left from the build. I would say if my collars were more than 0.5mm apart I would start looking into why.
daleburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:02 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'd take the above poster's advice, I do things very similar, and find the collars are out maybe up to a quarter of a millimeter.
Main thing is if the car pulls dead straight on hard acceleration its all good, really helps the confidence and laptime.
hana166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:14 AM   #6
Tech Elite

My cross weights are fine, I am attempting to shift the cross weight. Not add or remove weight. I am compensating for minor twear doing this. If I were to add weight to the lightest corner it also will add weight to the front, the side the weight is on and additionally it'll effect my cross weight and front/rear weight distribution. From what I've read up to 1mm is acceptable but I'm listening to everyones opinions and practices.
Thanks
Dave