R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-02-2004, 05:01 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Unhappy broke my first set of arms

well i ran my rtr tc3 into my moms front wheel of her car and snapped the left front arm in half, so i order some more of tower, i got factory team front suspenshion arms, on the description it says that thier "carbon fiber construction" are the stock rtr arms carbon fiber i was wondering so when i get the one arms is plastic and the other is carbon fiber?
kh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 05:04 PM   #2
Tech Addict

The factory team arms are different from the rtr arms. The factory team carbon arms are stiffer and will break even more easily if you hit something. If you're going to be bashing in parking lots and driveways I would recommend sticking with the regular plastic suspension parts.
j240z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 08:00 PM   #3
Tech Regular

oh that sucks i just have to make sure i dont hit anything to hard,
thats all tower hobbies had

and the pin that holds the block on the end of the arm, when i slide it in its pretty snug, so what is that little grub screw for should i tighten it so the pin doesent pull out
Old 10-02-2004, 08:07 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to tc3stocker Send a message via Yahoo to tc3stocker

don't worry about them being more fragile, every arm I have bought from AE that was graphite has been twice as strong as the composite ones (the stock ones) and believe me, I have hit stuff and jumped off into stuff at pretty high speeds and with a bunch of strength
tc3stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 08:12 PM   #5
Tech Regular

yea i'm about to buy some aluminum ones to they even make them for a tc3?

and anyone know about the pin that holds the block on
Old 10-02-2004, 08:15 PM   #6
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via AIM to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via Yahoo to DOMOisCOOL

Quote:
Originally posted by kh15
and the pin that holds the block on the end of the arm, when i slide it in its pretty snug, so what is that little grub screw for should i tighten it so the pin doesent pull out
The grub screw is for holding down the pin so it doesn't slide out. Make sure the pin has a little indent or groove (or flat side) so that the screw actually has something to grip onto, instead of a round surface.
DOMOisCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 08:16 PM   #7
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via AIM to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via Yahoo to DOMOisCOOL

Quote:
Originally posted by kh15
yea i'm about to buy some aluminum ones to they even make them for a tc3?

and anyone know about the pin that holds the block on
Do not buy aluminum arms.

When you break the plastic or carbon graphite arms, they break, and are cheap to replace compared to the aluminum ones. And plus, aluminum ones bend which are much worse.
DOMOisCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 08:38 PM   #8
Tech Regular

okay thanks but i dont think they will slide out anytime soon i took the grub screw out and still had to put the arm in my vice while i tapped the pin out
Old 10-02-2004, 10:21 PM   #9
Tech Regular

is the hole for the droop screw on my new arms gonna be pre-treaded? if not its gonna be a pain to tread those grub screws into untapped holes
Old 10-02-2004, 10:25 PM   #10
Tech Master

The arms do not come pre threaded but it isnt too hard to get them in just do it before you install it so you can do it on a flat surface.
Old 10-02-2004, 10:34 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Smile

i broke my first a arm today on my tc3 but i also bent the hinge pin how hard are the titanium ones to bend would it be worth spending the extra 10$ and just get titaniums instead of the stock ones?
Aadolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 10:41 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If I understand correctly... you said you had to put your arm in a vice and tap your hinge pin to get it out of the arm.....then you have a slightly bent hinge pin.....or a tweaked arm......they should "almost" fall out of the arm on their own weight if you hold the arm on it's side.....consider getting the factory team hinge pin set...there way stronger as well as having a polished surface....I think they're around 9 bucks.......and like the others said....the aluminum arms are not a good idea

1/10 Scale: Associated B-5(rear motor)...Tekin RSX Gen-2 W/8.5t... Savox SC-1258-TG Servo
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 10:47 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The titanium hinge pins, like the lundsfords ones, are litteraly like butter.....They will bend even just from slight taps...In my experience about the only places they somewhat last ,is in the outer hubs in the front and rear because of being so short.....when I first ran them years ago ....and they bent so quickly and easily.....I contacted lundsford and "they" even said not to use them on the inner arms for the tc3.....now thats pretty bad

1/10 Scale: Associated B-5(rear motor)...Tekin RSX Gen-2 W/8.5t... Savox SC-1258-TG Servo
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 12:49 AM   #14
Tech Regular

it must have been the arm because i rolled the pin across my table and it was smooth, does it matter wether or not the pin is tight or not just as long as it holds the arm on?
Old 10-03-2004, 01:40 AM   #15
Tech Master

I would just buy the standard cheap pins and polish them yourself. I chuck them up in my cordless drill and use 200 grit sandpaper to polish them.