First Post

Old 10-01-2004, 09:23 AM
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1
Default First Post

Sup everyone? Im new to the boards and semi-new to the hobby. I love it and im glad i found it, otherwise id just be spending my money on something else thats not as much fun...or id be in some kind of trouble.
My first question pertains to a newly aquired Duratrax piranha digital peak charger. Does this charger automatically detect if a battery has some charge in it or not? IE: if i put a charged 3000mah Ni-Mh Battery to charge again after say 5 minutes of use, will it over-charge, or will it stop charging when the battery is full? Will this ruin the battery?
Thanks, im looking forward to meeting everyone while learning more about the hobby and doing my best to help anyone else trying to learn.
X to the Z is offline  
Old 10-01-2004, 09:39 AM
Tech Regular
mwcet8k's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Arizona
Posts: 266

Hey, glad to have you here. The charger will charge the battery until it is full regardless of how much of a charge it had in it to begin with. You could have a pack that is 95% charged, stick it on the charger, and it will be charged only the remaining 5% and then automatically shut off.

Any time a charger is called a "Peak" charger, it will do this. That means that it has voltage monitoring technology that can detect when a battery has reached it's maximum charge (a.k.a. peak voltage). The vast majority of hobby grade chargers today are peak chargers, including your Duratrax model.
mwcet8k is offline  
Old 10-01-2004, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite
iTrader: (8)
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,636
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

A peak charger does not detect whether a battery has some charge in it. Rather, it is detecting a drop in battery voltage during the charge to determine when a battery is completely charged. Occasionally, a "false peak" occurs when the battery has a bad cell or a fluctuation in the power supply occurs. In any case, in addition to using a peak detection charger you should always do a "reality check" and see that the battery is not overcharged. They should be warm to the touch, but not hot enough that they are uncomfortable to hold.

You should not recharge a battery immediately after use. In the case of ni-cd batteries you should discharge them and let them cool afterwards. ni-mh batteries do not necessarily need to be discharged, but still need to cool to room temperature. Recharging a battery immediately after use will severely shorten their life. Hope this helps, and welcome to the board!
071crazy is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.