R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-29-2004, 10:37 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Waterproofing the motor

I have posted the "waterproofing the receiver" and thank's alot for all your answers.

Now another thing, that I feel is leading to several ESC failures, the wet motor.

How do you waterproof your motor?

Thank's again.
gearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 10:43 AM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Ummm you don't/can't. As long as your esc isn't getting wet your motor and esc should run fine.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 11:12 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Re: Waterproofing the motor

Quote:
Originally posted by gearless
I have posted the "waterproofing the receiver" and thank's alot for all your answers.

Now another thing, that I feel is leading to several ESC failures, the wet motor.

How do you waterproof your motor?

Thank's again.
ummm... how is that possible????/
Old 09-29-2004, 11:27 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A-Ko

I would only worry about water proofing your Esc/receiver/servo. Motors will still run underwater, which if you are doing that, your vehicle has bigger problems....
USVTA National Points Member #101
A-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 02:06 PM   #5
Tech Adept

I've seen several photos of ballons around the end bell of the motor, namely at the europeans, and if I'm not mistaken, at the german nationals.

What I've experienced is several stops due to completely wet motors, just starting after blowing the end bell and cleaning brushes.

Yes, motors can run submerged, and that's a trick to break-in quickly the brushes, but you know Murphy's law ....
gearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 02:08 PM   #6
X2
Tech Regular

The only problem to running in the wet is that when wet the com tends to arc, causing more wear and glitching.
X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 02:15 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I remember back in the day we used to run our motors in a cup of water to seat the brushes
Speedyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 02:27 PM   #8
Tech Regular

running your motor in water is more of a good thing than a bad thing as long as you dump alittle acohol on it to soak up the left over water
kh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 07:14 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

i think the only reason they have ballons over the end bell is to protect the shotky diode which I imagine would be open to shorting?

the motor will run fine under water
hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 08:26 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

The only reason to cover the motor is to keep extra debri off the comm, and out from under the brushes. The water WILL NOT hurt the motor in any way. As a mater of fact, it could help to keep it cool. The only other thing is that the motor need to have is vents in it to release the water from inside the can so the arm can spin easier! Easier to spin in air rather that the resistance of water!
dsrbltoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 08:34 PM   #11
Tech Initiate

Im gonna cut open the artificial vents on my bodies to help things keep cool
big_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 02:16 AM   #12
Tech Adept

nah, i don't think motor needs much water proofing, if you shield it, it's likely to overheat, not good at all
mashimaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 12:47 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

as long as u don't dive the motor inside the water it will be fine..
rcsabah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 01:35 PM   #14
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Guys when you break-in brushes you DO NOT submerge the whole motor, just the endbell. If you drop the whole motor in you will kill the comm and brushes in a matter of seconds, to the point where the motor will stop running.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 02:06 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Interesting. I wonder how many of you have actually run in wet conditions?

As some of you argued there is indeed no problem with shorting out the motor. That simply won't happen. However three things do happen when running a motor in wet conditions:

1. The brushes get wet and as a result become soft. While this effect can be used to quickly run-in new brushes (not recommended), when running in the wet the brushes don't just run in, they are used up completely in a manner of minutes. I learned this the hard way when I first ran in the rain and the car stopped after 3 minutes. New brushes that were about 1cm long came out with only 3mm left. The springs were against the brush hoods and were unable to keep pressure on the brush. Note that while this is happening the motor will start arcing very badly, something modern speedo's definitely don't like.

2. Even if the brushes don't get too wet, the water often combined with dirt will get in between the brush and the brush hood. As a result the brush often gets stuck in the brush hood after a couple of minutes which results in loss off power, arcing and ultimately a stopped car. Once again this will also be bad for the speedo.

3. Water and dirt get into the motor and will ultimately get to the bearings. This takes a lot longer (multiple runs), but to reduce this effect it is again best to protect the motor. (no effect on the speedo this one)

So how to protect the motor? I use a balloon over the endbell. I use electric-tape (not sure what the correct term is, but its the rubbery kind) to tape the balloon to the endbell just over the edge. The side that the motor wires run through I close around the wires using a tie wrap and if particularly wet I use some blue tack or cleaning gum o completely close the opening. Finally I use some more electric-tape to close the openings in the sides of the endbell, leaving only the openings at the front open for cooling (as far as possible away from brushes and collector).

When using the above method try and keep as much of the can free of tape and such as possible while still closing the holes. This will help keep the motor cool. Also don't run the car full throttle all the time. Be smooth like you allways should and try not to spin the wheels (overref the motor) too much. Both is bad for the motor (temperature) and the speedo (also temperature).

At the Euros this year I saw numerous examples of how not to do it, even in the A-Final.....