R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-28-2004, 01:06 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Novak GP3300 Batteries

Just wondering if anyone has used the Novak GP3300 batteries and their thoughts and opinions on these cells compared to some of the other matchers out there. I've seen some good #'s on the Peak and Orion SP2 cells.

What's the difference between the SP2 cells and the normal green/yellow labeled GP's? How come nobody else is matching the SP2 version but Orion/Peak?

Thanks,

MM
dubble-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 04:35 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Because none of the other matchers have any sp2 stickers to put on their normal gp3300's like orion do!
Robfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 07:18 AM   #3
Tech Master

For the record Fusion is matching sp2 cells as we speak.
John Malin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 07:57 AM   #4
Tech Regular

So Gold Peak are making special cells for Orion and Fusion........
But non of the other matchers are getting these special cells dont make me laugh!

Go and look on the GP website and see the bit that says they don't make special cells for anyone! The RC industry does'nt use enough of these cells to have a say in how they are designed and certainly not enough to have special cells made for us.

Don't get me wrong i realise that GP will continually develop the 3300 etc (so we are using the 'shortie' now instead of the original gp3300) but don't make people think that different matchers are using different special versions of the 3300 because they're not.
Robfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 09:26 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to DavidAlford

Its just shrink wrap. Nobody gets different cells, some companies just get better grade.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:52 AM   #6
PW
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to PW

Everyone will have the updated cell from GP as it will be the standard cell. It's the same cell structure, but GP increased the performance slightly. Orion was just the first to put a label (decal) on this cell and so it is now known as the SP2 cell (unoffically).

JConcepts - Team Associated - Reedy - XP - TSR Products - MIP - Stickit1
P1 Brand - "If it's only for fun; then take out the transponder?!"

Last edited by PW; 09-29-2004 at 10:02 AM.
PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 10:08 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Re: Novak GP3300 Batteries

Quote:
Originally posted by dubble-m
Just wondering if anyone has used the Novak GP3300 batteries and their thoughts and opinions on these cells compared to some of the other matchers out there. I've seen some good #'s on the Peak and Orion SP2 cells.
I run some Novak batteries and I am happy with them. The numbers are good and the performance has been good as well. I don't the the general racing public is too aware that Novak is in the battery business, going so far as to develop their own matching equipment, etc.

RC America / XRayUSA / Hudy / Motiv / Avid / Vannen Watches
J.Filipow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 10:41 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TeamButter

robfo-No one ever said that Orion and Fusion were getting special cells made. As PW posted they simply are a better grade of the the GP3300. Orion was the first company to shell out more cash for a better grade of cells. Fusion, I believe will be the second. Eventually, it will become the standard for all matchers and I am sure we will see another revision to the cell in 6-8 months.....
Old 09-29-2004, 11:06 AM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks for the responses guys. The only reason I was inquiring about the SP2 cells were because some of the local Peak/Orion drivers have some batts with some pretty sick #'s on them. Like 1.19+!

I've only ever seen the green/yellow labeled GP's up to 1.176+ so I thought that the SP2 version was a new and improved, better performing cell.

J.Filipow, Yeah I've never seen anyone use the Novak batteries around here but if they are anything like Novak electronics then I'm sure they'll be A+++ I haven't seen any #'s from these cells and Novak doesn't have any of that info on the website.

Thanks for your input though.

MM
dubble-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 11:13 AM   #10
Tech Master

You guys ever hear of Marketing. Well that is a fine example of it.

Novak's battery matching system uses different information to match cells. The resting voltage is not used, and 3 different voltages are compared. The Total discharge voltage, the 4 minute, and 5 minute voltage are listed. The runtime and voltage numbers on Novak Cells should not really be "Compared" to other matchers. Engineering tells me our machines are much more accurate and should provide a better "match" on the pack. Customers/racers that have used our packs and reported back had very good things to say about their "Cycle" numbers and the on track use.

In fact, even different matchers that use the same machine should not be compared. It's a tough game to play, and really customers are usually not aware of any of this. Each machine is different and even the temperature of the room, and how the cells are zapped by that matcher effect the numbers.

I've run the packs alot, as well as a handfull of our team drivers. We took Novak packs to the Carpet Nats, and won, took them to the Reedy Race and won. I'm not saying the cells made anyone win, we know that's usually never the case right , but they didn't cost them anything either.

Feel free to email us anytime if you have questions or comments.

GP still states there is no better grade of cell or better cell available.

Thanks for your time,
Charlie
Old 09-29-2004, 11:13 AM   #11
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Orion use a different matcher, the lavco (spelling) i believe so all their numbers are higher, my worlds SP 1 cells have 1.189 on my best pack. Just pick worlds cells from any big matcher and enjoy though really.
berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 11:23 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TeamButter

Charlie-Thanks for coming on here and clearing that up.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:04 PM   #13
Tech Master

MY sources at Gp have sent over new cells and if I mixed them up with any of my existing stock I would never be able to find them with out running cells on the machines again. They look identical to the cells we already have. I will credit Orion for being the first to do a marketing job about them though. btw Gp has not changed any of their literature to indicate that there is a new formulation in these cells. They asre just going to get better and still be the standard cell. So if you are looking for Gp to say they have a new cell they wont as far as i can tell.
John Malin is offline   Reply With Quote