JB-Orion tires!

Old 04-06-2002, 08:51 PM
Tech Adept

Default JB-Orion tires!

hi guys, i would like to know how this tire performs on the track and its tire wear if possible. if this one is great, i'd want to switch for it from sorex. sorex rubber tires are great but it i can only use if for 2 race day!

comment on this JB-ORION tire pls. and compare to other brands like the sorex and take-off! thanks
Old 04-07-2002, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

whoops, i didn't realize you said you've used the take offs. the take offs are very consistent and outlast the sorex's from what i understand. not the same grip, but enough so that a softer setup will produce the same or better results. and the wear is better than a sorex. sorry, i was just gonna recommend the take offs. never tried the orions. what's the hype on 'em, or have you not heard?
Old 04-08-2002, 03:35 AM
Tech Adept

seaball>
nope, i havent tried the take-offs. i'll give them a try this time since you said it wear better than sorex so that means i can use it longer!

i haven't heard anything about that jb-orion tires, if you do have pls share it with me!
Old 04-08-2002, 06:54 AM
Tech Regular

Default Team Orion Tires

I just got my first shipment from Orion that included a few sets of "A" and "B" tires. I ran the "B's" for the first time Friday night with great success. Normally our track favors Sorex 32's with HPI Green inserts (36's in the summer). I ran Orion "B" tires with HPI Greens and felt that the car was all around faster; cornered faster, acclerated faster, just overall better. The 32's that I had been running had about 5 runs on them compared to the brand new Orion "B's".

As far as wear, I think they were better than the Sorex's. At our track it seem to take about 3 runs to get the Sorex tires to "wear a layer off", then after that they are good for about 20 more runs. The Orion tires were awesome from the sound of the tone and show minimal wear after 4 runs.

Another nice thing about them is the wide temp ranges. I don't have the exact ranges, but "A" and "B" types will proably be used 90% of the time at most tracks (appx. 32 - 110 degrees track temp). The "C" and "D" compounds are for track temps between appx. 90 and 170 degrees.

-Brent Thielke AE/Orion/Proline
Old 04-08-2002, 08:59 AM
Tech Adept

nice comparison between the sorex and orion tires. i'll probably try "C" since its pretty hot here. sorex are great tires and has lot of grip though i noticed its pretty thin.

i hope orion tires has a thicker rubber compared to the sorex, or maybe the same as yokomo 138s though 139s are thinner.

sorex, orion, take-off and yokomo tires are the only available at our LHS.

thanks for giving me your observation about the tire
Old 04-09-2002, 11:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

ya'know, i don't have any more input, but that's a great selection to have at your lhs. ours has yoks and sorex. i think the takeoffs are thicker. i really like them. the sorex's grip like hell, but temp sensitive, and so thin. i think it's that flex that gives them the mad grip. i recently went with some sorex 28's with hpi reds. they built up nicely with a fairly large gap. the tires are so thin. and are wearing poorly. i dunno. the takeoffs are nice, because they come with a decent molded insert that most people use. ok then, see ya.
Old 04-10-2002, 05:55 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Team Orion Tires

Originally posted by 51
I just got my first shipment from Orion that included a few sets of "A" and "B" tires. ---------------------------------------
Another nice thing about them is the wide temp ranges. I don't have the exact ranges, but "A" and "B" types will proably be used 90% of the time at most tracks (appx. 32 - 110 degrees track temp). The "C" and "D" compounds are for track temps between appx. 90 and 170 degrees.

-Brent Thielke AE/Orion/Proline
What is the difference between A,B,C,Ds?
Is A the softest?

Thanks.
Old 04-10-2002, 06:23 PM
Tech Regular

Never mind, I just got it!

#75001 27 B 0-45° C
#75002 32 C 10-55° C
#75000 35 A 20-65° C
#75003 40 D 40-75° C
Old 04-10-2002, 07:03 PM
Regional Moderator

Many top driver complains about this tires at Worlds Warm-up. It appeared that everyone was having problem with tires overheating and struggling to find a constant grip for the whole 5 minutes race duration, as the temperature of the track changed so much between morning, noon and afternoon, causing setup difficulties.
Old 04-10-2002, 07:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by daniz24
Many top driver complains about this tires at Worlds Warm-up. It appeared that everyone was having problem with tires overheating and struggling to find a constant grip for the whole 5 minutes race duration, as the temperature of the track changed so much between morning, noon and afternoon, causing setup difficulties.
Do you know what inserts, wheels they used?

Thank you.
Old 04-11-2002, 05:33 AM
Tech Regular

Default Inserts/Wheels At The Worlds

rcruv: According to the small race report on Team Orion's website the spec insert is the JB Blue (Medium-71002) or Black (Firm-71003). They reported that Hara was using JB Extra Hard wheels.

daniz24: Who did you hear this from?

...As you can see by rcruv's post I was incorrect about the temp ranges. Sorry, I didn't have the exact data with me when I posted.
Old 04-11-2002, 08:50 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by rcruv

Do you know what inserts, wheels they used?

Thank you.
Surikarn : RJ Ride inserts (maybe ) and Tamiya aerodish wheels
Masami : yokomo inserts and aerodish wheels
Hara : Orion / HB inserts and wheels (don't know for sure)
Old 04-11-2002, 08:52 AM
Regional Moderator

Default Re: Inserts/Wheels At The Worlds

Originally posted by 51
daniz24: Who did you hear this from?
from Surikarn and many top drivers such as Masami, Adachi..... but not Hara (he's sponsored by Orion) LOL
Old 04-11-2002, 12:12 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Inserts/Wheels At The Worlds

Originally posted by daniz24

from Surikarn and many top drivers such as Masami, Adachi..... but not Hara (he's sponsored by Orion) LOL

In an ad for JB Foam they state that it was named the spec insert for the Worlds. I wonder why the other guys weren't using them to better prepare for the actual conditions. Maybe they (JB Foam) wasn't available to everyone?

...but yea it's nice to see that a tire Hara was key in developing was named the spec tire and that he did well with them.
Old 04-13-2002, 02:47 AM
Tech Adept

rcruv> are your temp range for orion tires accurate? i thought its like 24-40 of sorex and a-d for orion!

seaball> i agree that sorex tires are alot thinner compared to other brands though i haven't tried take-off yet. my friend said they have lesser grip compared to the sorex.

at the pre world's race, they were using orion B tires so definitely they will have problem with overheating since its hot their.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.