Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

3 racing new F1

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 12:36 PM
Tech Champion

A lot of that varies from track to track because conditions are so much different. For example the above poster suggested the HPI or Ride tires. At our track so far the best tires we've tested were the HPI medium rear and soft front...BUT they push so bad you need to have 80-90% drag brake just to get the car to turn. This was true for both the FGX and F104 chassis. We tried the Pit Shimizu 571/572 combination in the past on the F104 chassis and found them to be loose at the start of the race and pushing bad by the end of the race due to heat in the track. I just tested the Pit Shimizu 574/572 combo on my SP-1 over the weekend and so far that has been the best combination for our track and I would expect the corresponding versions for the FGX rim to work as good on the FGX as it did on my SP-1. In places that have a big F1 club/class typically the best tires get sorted out pretty quickly and the rest of the setup after that...but in places with a small club/class it takes time because usually there is only 1 or 2 people testing and can't afford to buy all the different tires right off the bat to test with.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

We just started racing F1 at our track, so there's no solid input on setup or tires. When the heat comes up and some rubber is laid down, traction is pretty good in the line. I was running grooved Shimizu's two weeks ago, they weren't enjoying life when things heated up - and that probably contributed the most to the ill handling.
I'm accustomed to setting my cars up to be somewhat comfortable, while getting as close to "loose" as I can, as I feel it suits my driving style better. With the F1, I think I'm going to have to rethink that, since they don't seem to like a loose setup. If the rear starts swinging out, there's just too much momentum in that pendulum to have much luck saving it.
I've got springs, tires, and fluids on the way, I'm hoping to spend most of an entire day practicing at the track before the next race, hope to find something that'll get me in the ballpark.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Smile

FGX IFS Replacement parts just came out.

FYI, Thanks.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)
Default FGX vs others

Is this car competitive with the other car's in the class or does the non direct drive etc. hobble it compared to the others?
Old 06-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

IMO, fgx is a unique car. There is no other f1 like it. But honestly, I am favoring my f104v2 over my fgx more and more. The biggest reason is most people I race with have Tamiya f104 and it is easier to copy the winning setup and tire choice than figuring out my own with my fgx. And the resale price on for sale section reflects the popularity of these cars as well. I have been noticing FGX's are harder to sell at $200 than f104v2. Just my 2¢.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tcdrvr2
Is this car competitive with the other car's in the class or does the non direct drive etc. hobble it compared to the others?
The basic breakdown.....

Fgx corners better (especially corner entry) better in low grip situations, some say better on asphalt.

F104 better acceleration out of corners, higher top speed. Can throw more gear at it and keep motor temps down. Better In higher grip situations.

This is just my opinion but honestly it all comes down to the driver.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by 6376vette
The basic breakdown.....

Fgx corners better (especially corner entry) better in low grip situations, some say better on asphalt.

F104 better acceleration out of corners, higher top speed. Can throw more gear at it and keep motor temps down. Better In higher grip situations.

This is just my opinion but honestly it all comes down to the driver.
Well I'm looking at trying out the F-1 class, and I can get a loaded FGX for around $200 or I can get the F101 for $320-$375, I really like the cantilevered suspension of the FGX, it looks really cool to me. I just want to make sure that the $200 isn't just being thrown away or if I should just go for the F-101
Old 06-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

F101 is the first generation. F104 is the late model and trf101 is the latest.
I wouldn't buy a f101 even if it was $50.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

I meant the TRF101, sorry.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Sunday F1 & Le Mans at Northridge, CA

This Sunday Jul/7 we will race our LA F1 Champ. round 2 at Northridge SFV

Metro Link Parking Lot
8775 Wilbur Ave. SF Valley CA 91324

We will be as part of the regular club race so only $10.00 for the day Track opens at 10:00

Hope to see you...

Cheers! Marcos

Last edited by HeliYogi; 07-05-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:36 PM
Tech Initiate

After doing some research I bought one of these used on ebay. I have purchased all the standard upgrade parts, including the exotek adjustable upper front suspension arms. Is anybody else using these? If you are did you have any issue with the pivot ball being super stiff? I have tried oiling/greasing with no success at all. I have popped the ball in and out a couple of times with no change at all.

Also, what kind of lubrication are you using on the the gearbox? I have seen a lubricant for bicycle chains that is a wax lube that is dry and wont attract dirt. Since it is an open gear box I would think that the dryer you keep the gears the longer they will last.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I have had the same issue with the pivot balls. I ordered the 3racing aluminum ones and they seem to not break as easy as the stock ones. Now my issue is the plastic is weak, the pivot ball gets pulled out of the plastic very easy. I think I read on here there are new plastics which are stronger, but I'm not sure.

As lining the gears, that's not necessary at all. They last a long time as is, as long as mesh is good and free of rocks.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Ok guys im putting together a list as i would like to order everything at once ..here is my list and if you guys have any opinions on what i should and shouldnt get that would be helpful

..............so far im gonna purchase:

1.3racing fgx kit
2.exotek efx v2
3.aluminum steering rack
4.exotek IFS adapter
5.3racing IFS set
6.probably gonna buy all aluminum hop ups...bulkheads ..etc...

i have also read that i would need stronger kingpins and stronger front arms...

im not sure on tires and rims

i know hpi f10 or wheels for the tamiya 201 will work....and heard the grooved shimizus arent that good ...so what tire wheel combo do i need to run shimizu slicks?

if theres anything you guys think i should add or subtract from this list please let me know....thanks!
Old 07-31-2013, 07:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by theatriks
Ok guys im putting together a list as i would like to order everything at once ..here is my list and if you guys have any opinions on what i should and shouldnt get that would be helpful

1.3racing fgx kit
2.exotek efx v2
3.aluminum steering rack
4.exotek IFS adapter
5.3racing IFS set

i know hpi f10 or wheels for the tamiya 201 will work....and heard the grooved shimizus arent that good ...so what tire wheel combo do i need to run shimizu slicks?

if theres anything you guys think i should add or subtract from this list please let me know....thanks!
Just my opinion. The shimizu grooved tires are great in cooler temps. especially on carpet but they overheat easily in warm temps. I have had good luck with the hpi Bridgestone tires in warmer temps.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by theatriks

1.3racing fgx kit
2.exotek efx v2
3.aluminum steering rack
4.exotek IFS adapter
5.3racing IFS set

I have a couple of questions for you.

#1 Are you going to be racing on carpet or asphalt? I assume you are running on asphalt since you want rubber tires and not foam. If carpet then the graphite chassis is a good choice, but if you are going to be running on asphalt I would stick to the stock chassis. The graphite chassis is far to rigid for asphalt.

#2 Are there other guys where you are racing at that are running FGX's with IFS? If there are and they are running better than the other F1's then I would also get the IFS, but if not you might want to hold out on the IFS. Although it is super scale to have it, one of the nice things about not having it is ease of setup. I like to keep things a simple as possible till someone else does all the hard work of figuring out the setup.

As far as "all the aluminum hop ups" remember that aluminum is heavier than plastic and also doesn't flex. Trying to keep the weight down will have you running faster laps in the end.

I would stick with the stock rims that are made by 3racing for rubber tires and then ask around to see what other guys are running.

The one upgrade I would highly suggest is the adjustable front arms by exotek along with the lower arm stiffeners. These will greatly enhance the durability of your FGX. I would also get the fast gear set and the ball diff.

Happy racing and good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.