Like Tree26Likes

3 racing new F1

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 07:47 PM
Rkk
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default FGX Chassis

Just got my FGX last week (from a member here) and I am like it a lot, although I did break an a-arm right out of the gate. This has been a progression for me. One of the guys I race with had the HPI F10 (now mine too) last fall and I was hooked, a hand full to drive to be sure. From there I bought 2 Tamiya's F104 and F103. As I am a formula 1 fan and a scale guy I sold the HPI guy the F103. The F104 was more manageable but still took quite a while to dialed in, the local tracks consist of hobby shop parking lots, not ideal. Anyway, my point is the FGX is just easier to drive than either of the other two for me (lack of skill is my biggest handicap lol).

On to my question. Can anyone compare the Exotek, McKune, and Rabbit chassis upgrades (Or should I just wait and look for the release of the IFSupdate)? I am not a fan of the current top deck.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MDRTales
Are the HPI/Softs slicks working better than the grooved shimizu for the fgx and if-so what inserts?
Depends on the racing surface. a lot of guys are liking the hpi tires on hot asphalt. The shimizu grooved are still best on carpet.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rkk
Just got my FGX last week (from a member here) and I am like it a lot, although I did break an a-arm right out of the gate. This has been a progression for me. One of the guys I race with had the HPI F10 (now mine too) last fall and I was hooked, a hand full to drive to be sure. From there I bought 2 Tamiya's F104 and F103. As I am a formula 1 fan and a scale guy I sold the HPI guy the F103. The F104 was more manageable but still took quite a while to dialed in, the local tracks consist of hobby shop parking lots, not ideal. Anyway, my point is the FGX is just easier to drive than either of the other two for me (lack of skill is my biggest handicap lol).

On to my question. Can anyone compare the Exotek, McKune, and Rabbit chassis upgrades (Or should I just wait and look for the release of the IFSupdate)? I am not a fan of the current top deck.
I can only speak for the rabbit. Extremely durable and just as fast as any other f1 on the track. Running on high traction carpet. For me the stock fgx was a nightmare because our track is very unforgiving when you find the wall. the rabbit made it much more enjoyable and I hardly ever break anything no matter how hard the impact.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 6376vette
Depends on the racing surface. a lot of guys are liking the hpi tires on hot asphalt. The shimizu grooved are still best on carpet.
I'm running on high bite asphalt probally high temp too what inserts are the guys using in the hpi softs?
Old 05-27-2012, 07:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

I'm running on high bite asphalt probally high temp too what inserts are the guys using in the hpi softs?

stock inserts have been good on high temps. Our local track temps are in the 140's!
Old 05-27-2012, 09:54 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
stock inserts have been good on high temps. Our local track temps are in the 140's!
For low temps/medium traction the grooved pits are still better?
Old 05-27-2012, 10:03 PM
Tech Champion

For low temps/medium traction the grooved pits are still better?
If there is any heat build up the grooves on the pits get hot and start squealing for their life! if the track temps are below 80 they are good.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:08 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Rkk

I make an upperdeck kit specifically designed for asphalt and either the stock lower chassis or upgrade 3 racing chassis. The plastic upper deck stinks!! The EXotec and MD are both optimized for carpet. Even the new IFS will still use a plastic upper deck, my kit will be adaptable to the new IFS when it comes out.
http://rcshox.com/shoxshop/catalog/p...products_id=77
Here is my progress on the IFS!
Old 05-28-2012, 06:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
If there is any heat build up the grooves on the pits get hot and start squealing for their life! if the track temps are below 80 they are good.
Thanks alot so it's hpi softs all around even in high traction hot weather?
Old 05-28-2012, 06:13 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks alot so it's hpi softs all around even in high traction hot weather?

Med compound on the hot tracks you can get away with a soft front but i like to use the med all the way around and set the car up to use brakes. The tires start to come in really strong about midway through the race.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:54 AM
Tech Rookie

hi,for someone who can't buy special part to repair or replace( like i am ),
i have easy way to fix it.
you only need
1) 2.5 mm allen wrench or anything that hard for handle impact force.
2) Hot glue.
3) Thread.
4) Shrink tube.
About this.

And for upper desk,it made from epoxy a+b with 2.5 mm allen wrench inside it for reinforce.(if you don't worry about some little heaviness)

with all this reinforcement, i ran into the wall for many time but it still survive until now.
Hopeful this can help,and sorry for bad spelling.(From Asiatic)
Attached Thumbnails 3 racing new F1-2012-05-22-14.50.29.jpg   3 racing new F1-2012-05-22-14.51.10.jpg   3 racing new F1-2012-05-22-14.54.21.jpg  
Old 05-29-2012, 08:22 AM
Tech Addict

I think that the rules should demand.

1. the chassie/suspension arm hinges must be inboard. Expections for scale purposes is accepted.

2. If replica of a F1 car that has inboard dampers the joints for the damper links must be inboard. Expections for scale purposes is accepted.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rkk

I have 2 McKune chassis and they work very well. After adding the Exotek lower arm brace, I have not broken a stock front arm.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hi Gang,

The new FGX adjustable arms are in stock!

http://www.exotekracing.com/fgx-adju...front-arm-set/
Attached Thumbnails 3 racing new F1-dsc_0891.jpg  
Old 05-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Tech Champion

Sweet! I'll pick me up a set of them once my new steering knuckles come in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.