Search
Like Tree26Likes

3 racing new F1

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 06:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
Agreed, the ball dif is AWE FULL! I will tell you that it is the thrust bearing which can be solved by replacing with separate items, just have to source it out.
Easy test to see what is not working in a ball diff.

Take the ball diff and turn the diff halves in your hands. It feels gritty? OK, then grab each diff half and push hard inwards so that you are pushing the two diff halves together. While doing this rotate the diff halves ... still feel gritty? If it feels heaps smoother than it is your thrust bearing playing up. If it still feels gritty then it is the diff balls .. replace them.

Pushing inwards take the pressure off the thrust bearing so you can determine where the problem is

HTH
Old 04-28-2012, 07:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cannon
As for the gear diff, did you raed the article on the 3 Racing website on how to build the gear diff. Did you grease the O rings before putting them in? All gear diffs drag on the Orings ... they have to otherwise the oil will leak out
where's this article at? i'd be curious to see if before I build my FGX

speaking of building...anything really important that needs to be replaced/updated compared to the car in kit form? figured i might as well get everything together BEFORE i start the build
Old 04-28-2012, 08:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The build diff article is located here on the 3 racing web site.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Last night I built the gear diff my way like we did for dirt ovals back in the late 80's/early 90's. It is as smooth as butter now. I need to do drive it now to see how it works out. I'll rebuild the ball diff sometime soon. It's sad that it comes that way at all.

Last edited by fredswain; 04-28-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Tech Adept

Any suggestions on where to buy a M2.6x0.45 screw tap for building the gear diff?
Old 04-29-2012, 01:55 PM

Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)

Originally Posted by BlueEagle
Any suggestions on where to buy a M2.6x0.45 screw tap for building the gear diff?
Hey blue checkout your local hardware store.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:03 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by shano83
Hey blue checkout your local hardware store.
I tried a few (Home Depot, Lowes, and Harbor Freight), but they don't seem to have anything that small. I bought a Great Planes tap set a while back for my other RCs, but that comes with 5,4,3,2.5,2 mm taps. No 2.6mm tap is in the set. Only taps I've found online that are 0.26mmx0.45 were around $20 + S/H, which seems pretty expensive for a tiny tool that I'm going to use 3 times.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:16 PM

Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)

I tried a few (Home Depot, Lowes, and Harbor Freight), but they don't seem to have anything that small. I bought a Great Planes tap set a while back for my other RCs, but that comes with 5,4,3,2.5,2 mm taps. No 2.6mm tap is in the set. Only taps I've found online that are 0.26mmx0.45 were around $20 + S/H, which seems pretty expensive for a tiny tool that I'm going to use 3 times.
Sorry blue I can't really help u any further as I'm in another country!
The only solution I say would be bite the bullet and spend the 20 online.
At least u will have for the future and you never know when u will need it.

Actually u could use a normal drill bit and the screw should create its own thread marks. It might be a little bit tighter to use while doing it but try using a little bit of bearing oil to try and ease it
Old 04-29-2012, 07:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

two words: Mcmaster Carr
Old 04-29-2012, 07:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I couldnt find a m2.6 x .45 either. I ended up getting a m2.5 x .45 from McMaster and it worked pretty well.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

I use microfasteners.com for all of my small nut/bolt needs.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

I rebuilt the ball diff last night. What a horribly designed pos. The diff rings need to be larger in diameter so they can go closer to the edge of the gear. It you run the diff balls on the outers holes, the edge of the diff rings is right at the centerline of the diff balls which is horrible. Since the diff isn't sealed off from the outside any little bit of dust, dirt, and grit can get into there and into the diff. I cleaned mine thoroughly and then carefully sanded the diff rings flat on 600 and then 1000 grit sandpaper, cleaned the diff balls clean, and then installed only 6 of them using only the inside holes. A small dab of black Associated black grease was used in each hole before the balls were installed. It is much smoother now. It will still probably get gritty but right now it's quite nice. I want to find a way to completely seal off the gears into their own box. Not having one in my opinion is a huge design flaw.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by fredswain
I rebuilt the ball diff last night. What a horribly designed pos. The diff rings need to be larger in diameter so they can go closer to the edge of the gear. It you run the diff balls on the outers holes, the edge of the diff rings is right at the centerline of the diff balls which is horrible. Since the diff isn't sealed off from the outside any little bit of dust, dirt, and grit can get into there and into the diff. I cleaned mine thoroughly and then carefully sanded the diff rings flat on 600 and then 1000 grit sandpaper, cleaned the diff balls clean, and then installed only 6 of them using only the inside holes. A small dab of black Associated black grease was used in each hole before the balls were installed. It is much smoother now. It will still probably get gritty but right now it's quite nice. I want to find a way to completely seal off the gears into their own box. Not having one in my opinion is a huge design flaw.

Black grease is not for Ball difs Fred take that stuff out it will slip and melt the spur gear. You want the white "ball dif grease" which is a stickier type of grease.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

I used to always use it with no issues. Just very sparingly.

EDIT: I remember now that I used it on the thrust balls in my RC10 diff but not on the diff balls themselves. Damn it!

Last edited by fredswain; 04-29-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:22 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by fredswain
The more diff balls you use the smoother the diff will be. This is why pan car diff gears are ending up with more and more holes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.