Search
Like Tree26Likes

3 racing new F1

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RicerX1
I don't know about it as a first on road vehicle. Its a damn cool car. But I ended up getting a touring car so I can get more practice in, as I was spending more time fixing at the track then driving.

As for what I used I had a hobbywing xtreme with no timing software. Savox SC-1251MG as a servo and a thunder power 21.5t motor.

make sure the servo you get is a low profile listed in the fgx manual. You can dl the manual from the 3 racing website. I got some cheap china low profile servo and it wasn't low enough.

For the motor make sure you get a reedy or thunder power. Or similar one with a short / beveled end as to allow proper clearance with the chassis. If you already have the justock system with the hobbywing motor you will have to grind/move the post and grind the upper deck to fit the motor. If you go back you'll see some posts of examples of the grinding.
Thanks for the tips bud.

Now that you mention it I recall readi g issues with clearance issues with the hobbywing motors.

As far as a first car, I just think it looks fun. If I end up having to spend more time on the pit board than on the track maybe I will pick up an old tt01 or something.

Thanks!

Justin
Old 03-29-2012, 10:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

as a first car, I don't think it would be a problem as long as you start out bashing first to get used to it. Driving on a track vs driving in an open parking lot is tons different. Whatever car you get, get out and play with it allot before putting on a track. Less aggravation and breakage. The FGX is not hard to drive, and it is fun.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Even without a carbon chassi conversion if you move the left side top deck post forward and mount it at the location of the left body post, a slight trim of the plastic top deck will allow you to run any motor and also allow the installation of a bigger pinion also. If you install a Mckune Chassi then the clearance for both motor and pinion is not an issue and it will also allow the use of the optional rear alum motor mount/ bulkhead.

With the current solution from Exotek the lower front arms (the weak link in the car) should no longer be an issue and make the front of the car pretty tough.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yeah seeing the exotek braces really made my mind up as far as going forward with it.

It looks like this will be one of my first on road cars.

Now I just need to convince the wife that she needs to let me get it!!!!

Justin
Old 03-29-2012, 12:02 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by spring71
Exotek FGX Conversion kits are available at TQ.

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=3226

FIY, Thanks.
What's the difference between this and the rabbit or mckune conversion?
Old 03-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Oortael
Exotek and mckune use stock front end, rabbit uses F104 front.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Tech Adept

Ah, ok. But why is the Exotek more expensive? Better Carbon fibre?
Old 03-29-2012, 01:31 PM

Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)

Hey just wondering where people getting their helmet decals from?
Had a look around to try find some to replicate vodka phone f1 but can't find any???
Old 03-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

Ah, ok. But why is the Exotek more expensive? Better Carbon fibre?
I think there's more to the exotek conversion than the rabbit. Plus the rabbit is $80 before you add the f 104 parts. That adds another $30 to $50 complete with the f104 wheels and bearings. The fgx fronts won't work.

The biggest difference is the exotek allows you to keep the high nose with the drop down wing mount. The rabbit is a low nose with the illusion of the drop down wing just like the f104. Some people really like the drop down nose. For me it didn't matter. I got the rabbit and absolutely love it. I was after the durability and race ability over everything else. I got tired of replacing arms and top decks so I quickly converted to the f104 front end. I like the exotek chassis but I'm still suspicious of using the stock arms. Even with the braces. I guess time will tell if they really work. I'm probably just pessimistic because I shattered a few sets of arms before I converted. Never had a problem with the 104 arms. Either way both chassis are a huge improvement over stock.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Rabbit - F104 Front end, FGX rear end.
Exotek - Stock front end, optional center laydown servo mount available allowing for an optional rear transverse rear battery mount. The parts do not interchange with the stock lower and upper deck.
McKune - Stock front end. Replaceable nose plate. Optional chassis stiffening plate included. The parts do interchange with the stock upper and lower deck.

All 3 offer durability upgrades to the weak stock upper deck.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HawaiiBob
I know this has been asked before, but I never saw an answer.
Does anyone have setup advice for asphalt? We had an FGX at the track this weekend and he was running the pit tires. Um, not a good result, I think they are too soft and springy for a slightly bumpy track. Was thinkin ride mediums might be a good place to start but wanted to see if anyone had some first hand knowledge.
Look back a few pages for a great starting point. Marcus "MantisWorks" drives on paved surfaces. His setup should work for you. Its a lot softer than most carpet setups because the need for mechanical grip is higher.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:01 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 6376vette
I think there's more to the exotek conversion than the rabbit. Plus the rabbit is $80 before you add the f 104 parts. That adds another $30 to $50 complete with the f104 wheels and bearings. The fgx fronts won't work.

The biggest difference is the exotek allows you to keep the high nose with the drop down wing mount. The rabbit is a low nose with the illusion of the drop down wing just like the f104. Some people really like the drop down nose. For me it didn't matter. I got the rabbit and absolutely love it. I was after the durability and race ability over everything else. I got tired of replacing arms and top decks so I quickly converted to the f104 front end. I like the exotek chassis but I'm still suspicious of using the stock arms. Even with the braces. I guess time will tell if they really work. I'm probably just pessimistic because I shattered a few sets of arms before I converted. Never had a problem with the 104 arms. Either way both chassis are a huge improvement over stock.

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
Rabbit - F104 Front end, FGX rear end.
Exotek - Stock front end, optional center laydown servo mount available allowing for an optional rear transverse rear battery mount. The parts do not interchange with the stock lower and upper deck.
McKune - Stock front end. Replaceable nose plate. Optional chassis stiffening plate included. The parts do interchange with the stock upper and lower deck.

All 3 offer durability upgrades to the weak stock upper deck.
Which of the 3 is the best to have?
Old 03-29-2012, 06:54 PM
Tech Master

Which of the 3 is the best to have?
From what I have read it seems that it comes down to personal preference. I haven't driven the others but the rabbit is an excellent chassis with a ton of potential. I absolutely love mine. I don't have a single complaint. My only worry with the others is the fgx front arms. The braces are still too new to see if they are effective enough to call the front arms durable. The f104 arms have been tested and proven.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

with all of the talk on this thread of the front end being a somewhat "brittle" & that there are 3 different non oem chassis makes now available,is 3 racing looking to rectify the "brittle" front end or now that there are other options will they not worry about it.as iv'e just purchaced a new fgx i'm just wondering if anyone has heard of anything from 3 racing,so i may get some indication of which way i will go, like many others seem to have gone with the aftermarket reliablity solution
Old 03-29-2012, 08:53 PM
Tech Champion

The new cars come with the version 2 front arms which are better than the originals...but still on the brittle side from what I have read.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.