Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

3 racing new F1

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 01:47 AM
Tech Adept

would this http://www.rcmart.com/rc-servo-horn-...pe-p-3597.html be any better or worse that the kit servo parts?

and will ball diff help with dusty with low traction surface more than the gear diff? or lighter oil in the gear diff?

thanks

Last edited by freakyfreakyflo; 01-13-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by freakyfreakyflo
would this http://www.rcmart.com/rc-servo-horn-...pe-p-3597.html be any better or worse that the kit servo parts?

and will ball diff help with dusty with low traction surface more than the gear diff? or lighter oil in the gear diff?

thanks
I don't think the ball diff would add any traction over the gear diff. A lighter oil may help some. What camber and toe are you running? Keeping a maximum tire patch in the turns will help a lot.

What tires are you using?
What shock oil?
What springs?
Ride height?

All of these are very important to getting traction. How is your steering? Are you running a sway bar? If you have good steering try a harder spring up front.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 6376vette
Its funny you said that. I looked the car tonight with the f104 wing and the fgx body and I was thinking how much better the nose looked. The fgx body definitely looks good mounted on the rabbit. I was thinking of doing the lotus Renault on the fgx body later. I needed the front wing today and the lhs had the Ferrari body set on the shelf. It was cheaper to buy a body and decal set in one bag instead of ordering everything separately. Already spent too much on the conversion. Needed to save on the body set.
like this:
Old 01-13-2012, 07:51 AM
Tech Master

Absolutely beautiful. That's exactly what I wanted to do. I am definitely going to use the fgx body.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Tech Adept

I don't think the ball diff would add any traction over the gear diff. A lighter oil may help some. What camber and toe are you running? Keeping a maximum tire patch in the turns will help a lot.

What tires are you using?
What shock oil?
What springs?
Ride height?

All of these are very important to getting traction. How is your steering? Are you running a sway bar? If you have good steering try a harder spring up front.
I have not driven the car yet,I still wait for a new motor. I have set ride height 5mm front and back.I only have the kit shock oil and springs so I use them.1degree rear toe and camber. I set front end the same as my 104,gold spring,shimzu medium tire and soft rear.1 degree camber at front.
I hope my new motor arrives soon so I can finally drive this car
Old 01-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Tech Master

I have not driven the car yet,I still wait for a new motor. I have set ride height 5mm front and back.I only have the kit shock oil and springs so I use them.1degree rear toe and camber. I set front end the same as my 104,gold spring,shimzu medium tire and soft rear.1 degree camber at front.
I hope my new motor arrives soon so I can finally drive this car
Sounds like a good starting point. I would get some thicker shock oil and try to find some stiffer rear springs. I found the kit springs were too soft. F201 springs work but you need to cut down the shaft covers and lower the spring retainers since the 201 springs are longer.I used 80wt oil on the fgx. Haven't tried the rabbit yet so all of my suggestions are from the fgx and will probably translate well to the rabbit Hoping to run the rabbit tomorrow.

Since you are worried about traction I would run it with the softer setup that you had and then slowly stiffen the rear to get the front end bite you want.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Tech Adept

Sounds like a good starting point. I would get some thicker shock oil and try to find some stiffer rear springs. I found the kit springs were too soft. F201 springs work but you need to cut down the shaft covers and lower the spring retainers since the 201 springs are longer.I used 80wt oil on the fgx. Haven't tried the rabbit yet so all of my suggestions are from the fgx and will probably translate well to the rabbit Hoping to run the rabbit tomorrow.

Since you are worried about traction I would run it with the softer setup that you had and then slowly stiffen the rear to get the front end bite you want.
Many thanks for your reply. All information is very helpful indeed. I have a friendwith alot of 1/8 offroad oils so will hope he has some thick shock oil and lighter diff oil
I was not sure about the kit body but now I almost finish it I think it looks pretty good. I wanted to use f60 body but I think the backend of it will not fit over the suspension pivot without cutting alot of the rear of the body away. Will have to work on some air vent for motor
Old 01-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Many thanks for your reply. All information is very helpful indeed. I have a friendwith alot of 1/8 offroad oils so will hope he has some thick shock oil and lighter diff oil
I was not sure about the kit body but now I almost finish it I think it looks pretty good. I wanted to use f60 body but I think the backend of it will not fit over the suspension pivot without cutting alot of the rear of the body away. Will have to work on some air vent for motor
Here is a pic of 2 FGXs one on left is an FGX body, on right (and terrible paint) is an F60 body.

Got a new servo and esc, so I was able to get the FGX back on the track last night. Same result as last time, half a lap, half throttle, car in half. Another upper deck down the crapper. I gave it some throttle out of a turn, spun one wheel, slapped the board. Already installed new upper deck, but for now, my FGX is my back up car/basher to my Exotek F1R. Going to try and make an upper deck if I can get my hands on some CF. Or just get the rabbit conversion. Waiting to hear more news, (hopefully positive) on the Rabbit before I get it. I like the high nose of the FGX, kinda like to keep it. But if I dont have a choice, Id rather keep the nose on at least, if not high.
Attached Thumbnails 3 racing new F1-fgx-013.jpg  
Old 01-13-2012, 02:37 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Can you post a picture of the broken upperdeck? I'm curious to see where it breaks at.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Tech Master

I can when I get home. But it breaks right behind the caster block. If you look the spot is obvious. Tried to reinforce but plan A didnt work. I have a plan B which I will try tonight. Just have to sacrifice an old duratrax Delphi Indycar chassis.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by texastc
I can when I get home. But it breaks right behind the caster block. If you look the spot is obvious. Tried to reinforce but plan A didnt work. I have a plan B which I will try tonight. Just have to sacrifice an old duratrax Delphi Indycar chassis.
I used ca and carbon flat stock on the sides and ran a piano wire from the back of the deck all the way to the front on the underside of the deck. Drilled and grinded as necessary. Coated the whole thing in a nice layer of shoe goo....... flat stock, rod, and as much of the chassis as I could. took the car out and really pushed the car. hit hard enough to break a set of reinforced lower arms and a steering knuckle but he deck held up. By the way I did this with a deck that was already broke and not a new one. Had to cut the piano wire on the servo side and use a small shim on the top deck to get clearance but it worked great. First time I was comfortable pushing the car
Old 01-13-2012, 03:41 PM
Tech Master

I used ca and carbon flat stock on the sides and ran a piano wire from the back of the deck all the way to the front on the underside of the deck. Drilled and grinded as necessary. Coated the whole thing in a nice layer of shoe goo....... flat stock, rod, and as much of the chassis as I could. took the car out and really pushed the car. hit hard enough to break a set of reinforced lower arms and a steering knuckle but he deck held up. By the way I did this with a deck that was already broke and not a new one. Had to cut the piano wire on the servo side and use a small shim on the top deck to get clearance but it worked great. First time I was comfortable pushing the car
Will implement that into plan B. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

We at RCshox just acquired a laser machine so soon i will have lots of carbon parts and conversion kits! Just hang tight for about a month!
Old 01-13-2012, 04:32 PM
Tech Master

Sweet!
Old 01-13-2012, 05:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mac The Knife
Can you post a picture of the broken upperdeck? I'm curious to see where it breaks at.
Heres the break. You can see some CF rod I used as a reinforcement but it didn't do. I didn't think it would, just not an easy spot to reinforce.
Attached Thumbnails 3 racing new F1-upperdeckbreak1.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.