R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-26-2006, 07:01 PM   #12016
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Caster
...I'm having trouble with my car in the first few laps though, seems like the tires just dont want to come in, and I am at least a second a lap off of what I can do when they start to work, even ended up spinning out on the 3'rd lap of the main. I've been playing with sauce time, tire warmer time, cleaning the tires, and nothing seems to be working for me, cant figure it out.. So if anyone has suggestions on what else I can try out, I'd be glad to head to the track on a practice day and test away
Suspension setup stuff aside, try using less drag brake and a softer drive frequency. I think the issue you're having stems from the tires being utilized less with the one-way in place. I love running one-ways, but they require very fine changes in throttle/braking. Whereas if you were running a spool there would be more inherent scrub and thus more heat soon on during the race length. One-ways remove braking from the front tire's "traction circle" and thus remove some of the heat generated. Sorry if this is wasn't helpful.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:19 PM   #12017
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
Suspension setup stuff aside, try using less drag brake and a softer drive frequency. I think the issue you're having stems from the tires being utilized less with the one-way in place. I love running one-ways, but they require very fine changes in throttle/braking. Whereas if you were running a spool there would be more inherent scrub and thus more heat soon on during the race length. One-ways remove braking from the front tire's "traction circle" and thus remove some of the heat generated. Sorry if this is wasn't helpful.
Wow Greg!!! That was very insightfull and well put!!! You need to post more often man!

Brant

My Carbon Footprint is Larger than Yours! :p
POOKYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:27 PM   #12018
Tech Elite

OK......Here are some questions for you guys and give me some feedback as to your thoughts.

We all agree that the Team would not have spent the better part of a year working with the rear motor car if they didn't see potential in it over the original. I know-I know.......the front will be better on some tracks blah,blah,blah. I LOVE my JRXS and it has made me a much better driver and tuner. With that said, I believe the benefits from the rear motor car is to increase corner speed. I also believe the new style longer CVD/LCD's with shorter diffs help to do the same. So my question is, with the new car, are we moving the motor to the rear to increase the rear weight, or are we moving the battery closer to the front to increase front weight?? The reason I ask is that with the current car, if it is advantageous to decrease the front weight, will I help in any way by using a low profile servo and thereby remove some front weight? I dunno but was curious. What do you guys think? Later

Brant

Old 06-27-2006, 12:59 AM   #12019
Tech Regular

How much of an effect on the car does the motor torque in front of the chassis vs. the motor torque in the rear of the chassis?
SoCalMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:12 AM   #12020
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
I'm running the Novak GTX now, using profile 3. The problem is just on the first few laps though, not through the whole run. After 1 minute in, I can begin using full brakes with the double 1 way setup without spinning out. SoCal is a pretty tough track that usually has some really hard turns to get around, it's the only place I have to use double 1 ways and still use brakes in a lot of places on the track. I'm just going to test with temperatures when I'm heating the tires and how long I let the sauce sit for.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:18 AM   #12021
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOKYT
OK......Here are some questions for you guys and give me some feedback as to your thoughts.

We all agree that the Team would not have spent the better part of a year working with the rear motor car if they didn't see potential in it over the original. I know-I know.......the front will be better on some tracks blah,blah,blah. I LOVE my JRXS and it has made me a much better driver and tuner. With that said, I believe the benefits from the rear motor car is to increase corner speed. I also believe the new style longer CVD/LCD's with shorter diffs help to do the same. So my question is, with the new car, are we moving the motor to the rear to increase the rear weight, or are we moving the battery closer to the front to increase front weight?? The reason I ask is that with the current car, if it is advantageous to decrease the front weight, will I help in any way by using a low profile servo and thereby remove some front weight? I dunno but was curious. What do you guys think? Later

Brant

Generally speaking you will usually want the weight of the car to be 50/50 front/back and side/side. I've never really sat down and talked to Todd about it, but I believe the reason for the motor being used in the rear of the car is to effect the handling using the armatures torque.

There are a lot of ongoing changes made to the car since it has been out, even the narrow diffs have I believe 3 or 4 different versions, always trying to perfect them. The car has been in prototype form for a while now, and it performs awesome. Although the production stuff is still being drawn up, from what I do know about it, it will be well worth the wait.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 12:31 PM   #12022
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I didn't see anything with a quick search.

Within 10 packs with the center one-way (had front one-way also), there are notches in the layshaft. Not the normal groove that wears perpendicular to the layshaft, but actual impressions of the needle bearings that are parallel (within the normal wear groove) to the layshaft. Because of this, the layshaft isn't really round anymore and the one-way doesn't free spin well at that spot. Move the one-way to another part of the layshaft and it spins free again. The one-way itself looks to be ok.

Anyone else have this problem? know the fix? is there a hardened layshaft?

Also, is there anything that prevents the center one-way from rubbing against the c-clip or spur's pin?

Thanks.
rainblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 04:47 PM   #12023
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracingkid
I have run more, but its very rare that you will need to....you are correct tho, more rear toe made my car plant better out of the corners.
Thanks for the input, Mike and Randy. I may have to try 2.5 deg of toe this weekend and see how it feels. That said, most of my rear traction issues are probably due to an over zealous throttle finger. Can't drive a 9x2 on asphalt the same as a stock on carpet.

And for you Losi fanatics looking for that dream job:
http://www.teamlosi.com/job-opps.htm
Might have to apply for that engineer position myself.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:05 PM   #12024
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead
Talking wOOt! It's done!

Finished the paint and final setup last night. Looking for a return to asphalt racing this Sunday—whoo hoo! You going to make it this weekend, Chuck?

Last edited by squarehead; 11-29-2010 at 03:53 PM.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:47 PM   #12025
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Finished the paint and final setup last night. Looking for a return to asphalt racing this Sunday—whoo hoo! You going to make it this weekend, Chuck?
Yeah, I should be out there, barring anything unforseen. Been a while since any of us electric guys raced out there actually, with the RC Pro Series race taking up a weekend, and the...um...R-word the last 2 weekends. (Hope I didn't just jinx it!)
Old 06-30-2006, 11:42 PM   #12026
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed

Good Luck Sunday on the asphalt!!!

LOL Lately I seem to want to type words like tarmac and tyre!!!! You over seas guys are warping my mind!!! LMAO

Brant

Old 06-30-2006, 11:50 PM   #12027
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Good Luck Sunday on the asphalt!!!

LOL Lately I seem to want to type words like tarmac and tyre!!!! You over seas guys are warping my mind!!! LMAO

Brant
We non overseas guys already know it's warped!

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:54 PM   #12028
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRX-S Bill
We non overseas guys already know it's warped!

It ain't warped!!!!!!!!!
Itz only been Dremeled on a lil bit!!!! LMAO

No kidding though.......The other night I was typing and realized I had spelled tire as tyre several times!!! Oh well.......next thing ya know I will be shopping for metric tools or something!!! hehehe

Brant

Old 07-01-2006, 12:01 AM   #12029
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
It ain't warped!!!!!!!!!
Itz only been Dremeled on a lil bit!!!! LMAO

No kidding though.......The other night I was typing and realized I had spelled tire as tyre several times!!! Oh well.......next thing ya know I will be shopping for metric tools or something!!! hehehe

Brant
Hmmmmm...That would mean a metric car!

Are you trying to tell us sumthin' amigo???

FYI...Did I say that I am half English?

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 12:42 AM   #12030
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRX-S Bill
Hmmmmm...That would mean a metric car!

Are you trying to tell us sumthin' amigo???

FYI...Did I say that I am half English?

Nope-Nope!!! Don't read anything into the tool statement.

Brant