R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-07-2006, 04:20 PM   #11341
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bummy
hey there, iam currently running the tc4 and was thinking about the jrx-s
would this be a wise choice? just try sumthing differnt, what are there strenght, and parts back up like in aussie if anyone know's i run brushless mod class. cheers
With Touring cars today, nearly all are competitive at competition level. Last years Nat's Chris Primmer got his JRX-S across the line in 3rd in Modified, so the car works. Personally one of the main strength of the car is it can run a spool without breaking things.... A lot of tourers that run spools I see break dogbones, outdrive, and the spool itself. O'reilly's has the Losi agency now, and it seems to be pretty good. But parts availability will depend greatly on your LHS.

The kit setup is "Super Safe" and I personally use the Numan Setup from the Losi website as a base and make small changes from that.
http://www.teamlosi.com/pdfs/setups/JRXS/A3.pdf

I would also recommend a high density bumper (like a Rubberneck bumper or similar) to replace the standard one and this should made the car virtually indestructible.

Spare parts that I carry are arms, & belts,. Also, the outdrive will wear eventually so you may like to have a set of them, but this may change with the new spool just released from Losi a couple of days ago...

Regards,
Peter
Old 04-07-2006, 04:55 PM   #11342
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to RcCzarOfOld Send a message via MSN to RcCzarOfOld Send a message via Yahoo to RcCzarOfOld

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCknight
does having all the weight down the center really make up for a more complictated design? With the new lipos, Losi will have to release a rear motor chassis. That means a three deck chassis. Why make something with 10 screws when you can do it with 2 concept. Sure the drivetrains free, but is the design complexity worth it? The car weight won't roll as much with everything down the center, but then it's very sensitive. The XXX-S suffered from a lack of feel in adjustments, but I'm told the the JRX-S is to the other extreme. It's too sensitive to wheel size and etc. Much harder to get it dialed. Just talkin here not bashing.
I really don't see how it's a more complicated design. Look at the other top belt drive sedans... You have the spur gear attatched to an idler shaft with two pulleys on it. One drives the belt going to the front diff/pulley assembly and the other drives the belt going to the rear diff/pulley assembly. On the JRX-S, it's the same thing. Just the two smaller pulleys are farther apart and the weight is centralized on the chassis. Also, if you look at some of the other cars, you have the main chassis plate and a two piece upper deck... On the Losi, they're just on different planes. So I would say it's a MUCH improved design over the other cars. with the weight of today's rx's and speedos, the only thing that could cause the SLIGHTEST imbalance from left to right would be the weight of the wires. Right out of the box, the car turns evenly left and right, it's nearly impossible to go out of tweak and responds faster than anything else I've driven. Personally, I think it's the best car on the market. But that's just my opinion.

Tony
RcCzarOfOld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:25 PM   #11343
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCknight
does having all the weight down the center really make up for a more complictated design? With the new lipos, Losi will have to release a rear motor chassis. That means a three deck chassis. Why make something with 10 screws when you can do it with 2 concept. Sure the drivetrains free, but is the design complexity worth it? The car weight won't roll as much with everything down the center, but then it's very sensitive. The XXX-S suffered from a lack of feel in adjustments, but I'm told the the JRX-S is to the other extreme. It's too sensitive to wheel size and etc. Much harder to get it dialed. Just talkin here not bashing.

No bashing taken.. Lipos in sanctioned racing is probably a few years off, or at least I would immagine they are- if they ever make it into racing. SO that is moot at this time.

Three deck chassis- im not sure with todays technology that it really matters. The original 415 had 3 decks.. which were not pinned and were on a more flexible chassis. Cosmettically, i agree One deck would be ideal.

Complex design- I dont know that this is all that complex..

Not rolling much= i agree. The biggest mountain I have climbed with this car is to get roll out of it, without making it lift, or lazy.

JRXS's sensetivity in adjustments is its strong point. It helped me to learn things about the car that might have otherwise been overlooked. Tire size does seem to affect this car more than others but that is good.. smaller tires are faster in high traction anyway In low traction, you can get away with larger 57+mm tires.. and in high traction, you need to be running smaller tires.. this car just makes it very clear

Try the car! Honestly, my car is just as fast, if not faster than my RDX was and after nearly 5 months on it.. i can say I still have the original diffs and bearings in it.. and there is little slop in the suspension. My car is as free as any car i have ever had. AND I have broken very few parts. Heck, i havnt ordered anything since January and my parts supply box is not impressive by any means.

If you try it, you gotta give it a few weeks.. or even months to get used to it though. Once you know its ins and outs.. you look back at the XXXS and wonder why you didnt change sooner if you need any setup, there are a TON of guys on here who are very helpfull (im sure youv been reading and know)

KB
Old 04-07-2006, 06:26 PM   #11344
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JROCK4224
Has anyone tried the 48 pitch gearz they offer for the jrx-s. I onlyask because i mainly race off road and was hoping to only carry one style of pinions. if so any recommended sizes for stock , 19t and a 10x2 mod. I assume its similar iin gearing to my xxx-4 but a little different due to tire size. i race on asphalt with stock tires right now. Yokomo yellow precision discs on the way. I read a lot of postings and have seen nothing on switching to the 48 pitch gears. Is it a bad idea? I will run the 64 if that is what is most effeicient and easiest to tune. any help would be greatly appreciated for a dirt convert. thanks in advance

It wasn't a retorical question. has anybody aver used he 48 pitch gears on jrx-s. I know its hard to stop and answer a stupid question when you too busy bashing a car you never have even tried. (xray owners). But seriously has anyone seen or done this, if so please advise on above pinion sizes. thank you
JROCK4224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:36 PM   #11345
Tech Master

Quote:
It wasn't a retorical question. has anybody aver used he 48 pitch gears on jrx-s. I know its hard to stop and answer a stupid question when you too busy bashing a car you never have even tried. (xray owners). But seriously has anyone seen or done this, if so please advise on above pinion sizes. thank you

sorry I usually dont respond to questions i dont have an answer on.... as others usually have more info.. since noone else chimed in...

thats not a stupid question at all. Personally, i only have 64P stuff so no I have not. Perhaps someone else has?

Why do you want to run them anyway? just what you have? EDIT.. just read your org. question.. I see.

KB
Old 04-07-2006, 06:54 PM   #11346
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default 48P Gears

I use the 48P gears on my JRXS and have had no problems. I started using them for much the same reason as you, already had them so why start over. Never have used 64 in touring so I don't know if they would be smoother, but my thinking is that with the torque required to get these TC moving the bigger the face of the gear the better off you might be, maybe the pros can run them, but most of our races are a little rougher. Mind you I haven't seen any one strip a 64 gear in a while or by their own fault. As far as the gearing goes, that kind of hard to answer, but here goes. For our track in stock, either a 24 or 25 (CO27), 19T uses a 21 or 22 and in mod 18 to 20, all in 48P and a 94t spur. We run a very small tight track, ozite and foam tires. Usually 55-57mm tire dia. Hope this helps.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:00 PM   #11347
Tech Elite

Thanks keith for taking the time to at least acknowledge my post. Im new here i have posted a lot on reef aquarium forums but not rc. Its funny been racing since i was 14, now 29, and never thought to find a forum to help dialin my cars.

Back to your question, even though you answered it your self. I race off road primarily and everything i have is 48 pitch. Locally im getting into on road to see if i like it. So far Seems cool. lot different from off, but some carry over. Funny story, bought the car from another local racer who never could afford to put electronics in car. he built it, i bought gtx and servo receiver to run the car. Well i thought i'd run it to see where i was at set up wise and see if i could tweak it into being fast. I have run some on road just never a dedicated effort. So i know how to drive and determine what to change. So i got it all ready one night at an off road event to try on our local outdoor asphalt track. Charged and gripped I headed out back. thankgod my racing buds didn't follow me. On the track it went up t othe stand i went. Well i got cocky and tried to turn my best lap ever out the box. Got to the end of the straight got out of the throttle for the big sweeper. instantly swapped out and backed into the outside wall full speed. Reality check, Few more corners I got brave again and tried to pick up the pace. turned early into cycane stripping out the servo horn and gears. embarrasing to say the least. Yes my buds were perplexed at my early return. thank god my heat was up so i didn't have to share the story.

Later I got home and located all the handling issues. Apparently previous owner didn't think right and left parts matter or that the springs were different tensions. the rear springs on the front was eye opening. never the less thank god this was a good price because i ended up tearing it down and reassembling it.

Any how i think i'll just have to go and try them. losi's website said they were a more durable version ( good for me) . I have been known to pull all the teeth of my off road spurs with my mod motors. all in all i like the car has a good feel and haven't yet scratched the surface on tuning all the different aspects. Any outdoor asphalt tricks/set ups would be appreciated. im gonna research the "mods" everyone keeps refering too. Like i said besides screw conversionvand a couple of personal set up things changed its box stock. Thanks again Keith for at least letting me know you are in my boat.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:12 PM   #11348
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
I use the 48P gears on my JRXS and have had no problems. I started using them for much the same reason as you, already had them so why start over. Never have used 64 in touring so I don't know if they would be smoother, but my thinking is that with the torque required to get these TC moving the bigger the face of the gear the better off you might be, maybe the pros can run them, but most of our races are a little rougher. Mind you I haven't seen any one strip a 64 gear in a while or by their own fault. As far as the gearing goes, that kind of hard to answer, but here goes. For our track in stock, either a 24 or 25 (CO27), 19T uses a 21 or 22 and in mod 18 to 20, all in 48P and a 94t spur. We run a very small tight track, ozite and foam tires. Usually 55-57mm tire dia. Hope this helps.

Thanks Johnny it does help. Our track is fairly small 100x60 at least small to me. We have one locally track that one straight is like 200 long or at least it seems that long. We call it the li-po track, cause it seems like you need one. Seriously though, thanks that gives me a starting point. I bought all three spurs knowing i'd only use the 94 locally and maybe the two others at surrounding carpet tracks. I'm gonna try it, then concentrate on my set up getting it through the corners mre consistently. I'm an avid off orader , hence the 48 pitch, so getting used to set up changes in onroad will just take track time and this forum. Dirt set up's don't translate the same to onroad, in relation to changes. Not even my blue groove stuff.

Worse comes to worse i just throw some knobbies on it and run it when i brake the darn shock tower in my xxx-4 right!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2006, 07:23 PM   #11349
Tech Master

Jrock= any time at all.

Onroad is dialed. I ran offroad for many years.. its fun too.

As far as setup stuff goes.. depending on what type of track your running, you should be able to find some sort of setup here.

In onroad, your settings have to be MUCH more precise than in Offroad. Keep close attention to camber, droop and tweak and you should be able to keep a consistant car.

if all else fails.. PM away.

48P will be more forgiving than 64. I think Cyrul was regularly running 48P on his Xray cars.. not for durability but for the ratio's... so its not all that unkosher.

Keith
Old 04-07-2006, 08:23 PM   #11350
Tech Elite

Thanks dude much appreciated. Like i said its asphalt,little elevation change. track slopes away from you, front to back. kinda hard to read the back strectch that way. IMO they should have put the stand on the other side so you were looking up hill at the track.. the way it is, you get a weird feeling in the deep corners. like you wanna keep you car from falling off th track. its not a steep gradient but noticable. I call it home track advantage. you should see out towners ruin bodies, overshooting and pinging the pvc. So it takes some getting used. My main thing is getting the feel of the corner. Im getting a lot of tail sliding, even off power. Ball studs in the middle and inside on hubs. I'm waiting for my spring kit to mess tensions and oils so the shocks are stock , well now they are. rear shocks are number 3 and on the outside on the a arm. As for droop and what not witing for the droop guage to come with my springs so no idea there. I've had the car operational for a week with about ten batteries through it and making minor adjustments to get the feel of what they accomplish. thanks agai keith.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:34 PM   #11351
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks dude much appreciated. Like i said its asphalt,little elevation change. track slopes away from you, front to back. kinda hard to read the back strectch that way. IMO they should have put the stand on the other side so you were looking up hill at the track.. the way it is, you get a weird feeling in the deep corners. like you wanna keep you car from falling off th track. its not a steep gradient but noticable. I call it home track advantage. you should see out towners ruin bodies, overshooting and pinging the pvc. So it takes some getting used. My main thing is getting the feel of the corner. Im getting a lot of tail sliding, even off power. Ball studs in the middle and inside on hubs. I'm waiting for my spring kit to mess tensions and oils so the shocks are stock , well now they are. rear shocks are number 3 and on the outside on the a arm. As for droop and what not witing for the droop guage to come with my springs so no idea there. I've had the car operational for a week with about ten batteries through it and making minor adjustments to get the feel of what they accomplish. thanks agai keith.
Myself and many others have had a great success running the Numan set-up on asphalt. Check the Losi site for it. It really makes the car consistant and easier to drive fast. Good Luck

Brant

My Carbon Footprint is Larger than Yours! :p
POOKYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:36 PM   #11352
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Ahh...always wanted to get into reef aquariums.

Quote:
Thanks keith for taking the time to at least acknowledge my post. Im new here i have posted a lot on reef aquarium forums but not rc. Its funny been racing since i was 14, now 29, and never thought to find a forum to help dialin my cars.

I enjoyed my 30 gallon long fresh water aquarium. I got some killer moss and then I had to move. Gave it up there after. I had some nice exotic fish. I'm still in to CP plant growing. Flytraps and etc.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:49 PM   #11353
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Good, I just like to discuse TC designs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Billanti
No bashing taken..
I never had a JRX-S but many very good driver's at my track had one. Our track director still runs one, but he's still tring to find that magic setup. He's just not a follower and he wants to beat people with a car no one likes. Biggest problem I see were guys tring to find a setup and being able to keep it together. The arms and outdrives seem very fragile. A much different story at my track than what you have expirenced Keith. To his, his own. Drive what you like I always say. I just don't see benifits vs. the design. It's not making any speed records. Thanks for the good conversation. Later.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:28 PM   #11354
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOKYT
Myself and many others have had a great success running the Numan set-up on asphalt. Check the Losi site for it. It really makes the car consistant and easier to drive fast. Good Luck

Brant
I will say the Numan setup gets me in the ball park and works pretty good. I like many just tweak that setup for my driving style and go from their.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 12:33 PM   #11355
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to Bigger Brother

Keith - thanks very much, I will give that a try.

One quick question for people - I've broken a BK wishbone (don't ask!) and so need to throw some BK brackets on old wishbones instead as I can't get hold of new ones in time. Can someone remind me the distance between the 2 holes on a set of brackets.

Thanks again
Oli