R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-28-2006, 04:42 AM   #10741
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Yeti= Yes. I like the mod, not just because I invented it... but i truely feel the car is easier to drive, yet faster.

POOKYT= Yes, larger tires (to me) make the car inconsistant and a handfull. I start my tires around 57-57.5 and run them till their junk. Car gets better till around 55mm....thank you BTW, for using the superior metric system Randy LOL, i didnt think most people in here would understand that.. LOL.. No one around here does.. (ohio)

It is of my opinion that you have to keep a close eye on your tire size once your happy with the car. With arms as short as these, tire diameter has a HUGE effect on roll center. Once you start wearing them down, your RC changes and becomes higher. Relatively speaking about your arm angle, at ride height.

KB
Old 02-28-2006, 08:31 AM   #10742
Tech Apprentice

Default Servo Saver Assistance

Andrew,

Regarding your servo saver question, Kimbrough makes a few different sizes of servo savers that will fit the JRX-S. I started with the small "1/12th" servo saver on carpet, but felt it might be a little too soft for some of the high bite of modified racing. I switched to the "black 1/10th universal" servo saver, and it's worked great (Check clearances to bottom of chassis for your particular servo). I use a Futaba 9550 digital servo with custom linkage from the saver to the steering assembly (it's 2 associated ball cups with generic threaded rod and the losi short ball studs on the saver and linkage). This setup gives you a solid servo saver, and you are able to align the linkage so it is straight and parallel for consistent steering.

Never had a problem with servos or linkage...

Hope this helps.
rcoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:44 AM   #10743
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRX-S Bill
Malc,

Is that the Queen's english or just typos?

Definitely do the origiinal mod Malc.

Hey, I almost have enough frequent flyer miles on Virgin Atlantic to make a return trip to London. Watch for me by year's end.

Bill

The only queens we have over here, is in the London Mardegra

Bill, that would be if you come over this side of the pond, but be sure to ware a rain coat.....not for the wet stuff, but for flashing at the old ladies Now that's the Queens English
Cheers Malc THE CAN MAN
2nd in 2008/9/10 Win Ansman GP 2010 Schumacher GP. 17.5 blinky Winner of STCC 2009/10 13.5 WLRC 2010 Summer series. Winner of EWS Winter. 17.5 Blinky Winner of 2012/13/14 Rug Racers. 17.5 Blinky 2013 WLRC summer series. Newbury RCC GP 2014 17.5 Blinky 2015 3rd in 17.5 Rug Racers
TheCoolCanFanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:18 PM   #10744
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-Bad
What two versions? I only know of one....

The one that works and the one that didnt go together properly
Cheers Malc THE CAN MAN
2nd in 2008/9/10 Win Ansman GP 2010 Schumacher GP. 17.5 blinky Winner of STCC 2009/10 13.5 WLRC 2010 Summer series. Winner of EWS Winter. 17.5 Blinky Winner of 2012/13/14 Rug Racers. 17.5 Blinky 2013 WLRC summer series. Newbury RCC GP 2014 17.5 Blinky 2015 3rd in 17.5 Rug Racers
Old 02-28-2006, 12:29 PM   #10745
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Billanti
Yeti= Yes. I like the mod, not just because I invented it... but i truely feel the car is easier to drive, yet faster.

POOKYT= Yes, larger tires (to me) make the car inconsistant and a handfull. I start my tires around 57-57.5 and run them till their junk. Car gets better till around 55mm....thank you BTW, for using the superior metric system Randy LOL, i didnt think most people in here would understand that.. LOL.. No one around here does.. (ohio)

It is of my opinion that you have to keep a close eye on your tire size once your happy with the car. With arms as short as these, tire diameter has a HUGE effect on roll center. Once you start wearing them down, your RC changes and becomes higher. Relatively speaking about your arm angle, at ride height.

KB
For this reason, I wish stock sedan would require rubber tires only. Would make set-up much more enjoyable and easier.

19t & modified can run foams.

I'm interested in gettting back into a Losi chassis...just checking out the forums.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:37 PM   #10746
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraden
Does anyone have pics of the rear end mod that has the shocks in front of the shock tower?
its page 350 or 351
Malc
Old 02-28-2006, 02:47 PM   #10747
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
For this reason, I wish stock sedan would require rubber tires only. Would make set-up much more enjoyable and easier.

19t & modified can run foams.

I'm interested in gettting back into a Losi chassis...just checking out the forums.
Go for it, there are a few guys you know running the car you can bum setups off.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:28 PM   #10748
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Randy,

For sure at Stockton on Saturday (race) and Sunday (practice).

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 09:00 PM   #10749
Tech Elite

With regards to tire size on our cars, especially with the camber mod in place, here's what I found recently......
At the 'birds I felt most comfortable on rather large 2-stage tires. However, running those big meats required some extra dremeling of the "camber mod" that wasn't immediately apparent. It was not until I went about setting the uptravel that I noticed the camber mod limits upward articulation of the front suspension when running 58.3mm tires and a low roll center. I was keeping uptravel at 3mm, but the large tires and camber mod limited uptravel to just about nothing (maybe 1mm). I had to break out the dremel to clearance the camber mod a bit more.
I let the tires wear down from 58.3mm to low 57's and high 56's. As mentioned above I also noticed a rather big difference in overall traction as the instantaneous roll centers changed with tire size. My car felt most grippy when the 2-stages were fresh (1-2 runs) and above 58mm. The car wasn't as controlable, which was the trade off for that setup. I ran the big'ins in 19T where overall traction was more important, and used the slightly smaller and already ran tires for stock where precision placement lap after lap was more important than overall grip.
I also tried something similar to what the team guys had done with the rear motor cars. I made a FRONT shock tower with the original front shock mounting locations, but with the rear camber link locations (I left out the inner column of holes). I had the camber link in what would be the middle column of holes, which hole depended on which roll center I used. The only rhyme or reason to which hole was based on tire wear, but the selection always had the upper link slightly inclined to the arm (with the inside of the link slightly lower than the outside). This was the best the car had ever worked on carpet. I loved the car on asphalt, but just prior to trying this setup I was on the verge of running 1/12 until the outdoor season started up again.
Attached Thumbnails
Team Losi JRXS-nbp1.jpg  
Old 02-28-2006, 09:21 PM   #10750
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Great thought Greg.

Thanks for sharing.

Bill

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 09:45 PM   #10751

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

my losi is ready to go again
roadrashracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:07 PM   #10752
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to slowsi18 Send a message via Yahoo to slowsi18
Default TO ALL JRX-S OWNERS

I was wondering if anyone that owns a jrxs would be interested in buying new and improved parts for the car? I will be selling alluminum a-arms from and rear, pivot mounts. also will be selling rear hubs, also front spindles and carriers. interest pm me and i will let you know on details
slowsi18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:13 PM   #10753
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoldman
Andrew,

Regarding your servo saver question, Kimbrough makes a few different sizes of servo savers that will fit the JRX-S. I started with the small "1/12th" servo saver on carpet, but felt it might be a little too soft for some of the high bite of modified racing. I switched to the "black 1/10th universal" servo saver, and it's worked great (Check clearances to bottom of chassis for your particular servo). I use a Futaba 9550 digital servo with custom linkage from the saver to the steering assembly (it's 2 associated ball cups with generic threaded rod and the losi short ball studs on the saver and linkage). This setup gives you a solid servo saver, and you are able to align the linkage so it is straight and parallel for consistent steering.

Never had a problem with servos or linkage...

Hope this helps.
Sweet. I will look through what I have available at my LHS and what my buddy has in the pit box he handed over to me with the car and see what I can get together. I appreciate the help more than you know!!

Andrew
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 11:38 PM   #10754
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
Sweet. I will look through what I have available at my LHS and what my buddy has in the pit box he handed over to me with the car and see what I can get together. I appreciate the help more than you know!!Andrew
FYI, I ran the entire outdoor season with a Futaba S9550 using the stock servo arm (no servo saver). No failures, but it should be mentioned that the track had beveled curbs that rarely ever broke anyones cars, not even the RDX's (which stands for Really Delicate Xray) I started using the small Kimborough servo saver at the beginning of the indoor season, and now I want to try the slightly larger one. Thanks to whomever mentioned that, I never thought to test the difference in spring tensions.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:29 AM   #10755
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRX-S Bill
Randy,

For sure at Stockton on Saturday (race) and Sunday (practice).
Right on, see you then Bill.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote