R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-15-2004, 07:52 PM   #886
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
stupid question...
how do you keep your soldered joints 'clean'?

- jaYBee

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 11:53 PM   #887
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Stealth_RT
I asked Andrew about the different colored belts. Evidently, they are different compounds, hence the different colors. Kinda like the green and blue center/front belts on the Street Weapon. I would guess that the rear belt is made to be stronger, while the front belt bends more easily to reduce drag.
The belts are also different lengths. Hence, the different compounds and colors.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 01:13 AM   #888
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by JayBee
stupid question...

- jaYBee
you need a good iron...
utieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 08:17 AM   #889
Tech Elite

Quote:
well, might as well add my comment, in the UK, most of the tracks (read 99.9%) of the tracks, you have to provide your own power source, so having a soldering iron on quite a bit of the race day would me one hell of a big 12V battery, so hard wiring in the UK is almost non-existant. I mean, most race meetings are held in the middle of nowhere.
Hmmmm maybe some one might need a Super Scope soldering iron, run it off 4v (old cells) charge if needed durring the day pending on batteries
Old 10-16-2004, 08:20 AM   #890
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I Actually have a 12v 50w soldering iron which runs of my 12v battery, so I am ok, but it is inconvenient to leave it on all the time (apart from it roasts its tip too).
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 08:28 AM   #891
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Is it safe to post today???

Butane powered......

you can buy a refill bottle for like .99 at home depot and it lasts weeks... iron get super HOT....

I wouldnt mess with any 12v soldiering iron... just doenst seem like it would have the power...

Keith
Old 10-16-2004, 08:35 AM   #892
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by JayBee
stupid question...

- jaYBee
What I do is either use solder braid to get as much of the old solder off the wire and tabs as possable. Or I use a piece of some old fine stranded wire to suck it up into. Then I resolder the ends and re-tin the tabs with fresh solder. A little flux on the joing every few times you use it helps alot to keep it clean.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:36 AM   #893
Tech Master

tried butane power, and they just don't hold the heat in the tip good enough for me, means you end up holding the iron on the item to be soldered for far too long, and in the UK, with the blustery weather, they are a right nightmare to light too, lol.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:40 AM   #894
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Cobra81li200

can't you guys create a new post about soldering or not ? this is getting way too far off topic
Cobra81li200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 09:53 AM   #895
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by DA_cookie_monst
tried butane power, and they just don't hold the heat in the tip good enough for me, means you end up holding the iron on the item to be soldered for far too long, and in the UK, with the blustery weather, they are a right nightmare to light too, lol.
try using a more blunt tip.. if you have a tiney little tip with no mass, it will cool way too fast, even just from the cold soldier hitting it..

stay out of the wind as well if your outside... it is definately not as good as indoor with my digital soldiering station.. but it works..

Keef
Old 10-16-2004, 10:09 AM   #896
Tech Master

I agree with Cobra here, lets get back on topic.

Just as a point to note here, I have been racing since 1989, and have tried ALL forms of iron, and butane was one of the worst, big tip or little, it just can't store the heat good enough, thats the last I will comment on it, keef, if you want to discuss the pro's and cons of a soldering iron, start a new thread.

I take it with the JRXS, it will come with industry standard size hexes rather than the LOSI ones on the XXXS?
Old 10-16-2004, 12:38 PM   #897
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeediePHATT
What I do is either use solder braid to get as much of the old solder off the wire and tabs as possable. Or I use a piece of some old fine stranded wire to suck it up into. Then I resolder the ends and re-tin the tabs with fresh solder. A little flux on the joing every few times you use it helps alot to keep it clean.
Thanx SpeediePHATT for an answer that goes into alot more than just having a good soldering iron.

- jaYBee

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 03:48 PM   #898
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by DA_cookie_monst

, thats the last I will comment on it, keef, if you want to discuss the pro's and cons of a soldering iron, start a new thread.

Is this attitude necessary?

I dont WANT to discuss the pros and cons of soldiering... but I also dont need to be told to stay on topic... This is a public forum and this is the route the discussion went. Is it my fault? partially... maybe... but still in the scope of the car.. yes... you replied to my post, and I am replying to yours...

but to tell someone that your not going to comment on somthing, as if this was a chore and reccommend they start a new thread??... lacks class and tact IMHO-

and thats all I WILL comment on it.

Keith
Old 10-16-2004, 04:14 PM   #899
Tech Master

Um. The last time I looked Losi was in the buisness of making RC cars. So I assumed that the new car was going to be the same. It needs to be built and maintained like any other. I believe the topic was the JRXS. Since it takes soldering skills and knowledge to build and maintain. I think we are right on track. Especially since the guy who didnt want to comment on the discussion , DID...
Old 10-16-2004, 04:18 PM   #900
Tech Regular

Rule #1. As far as staying on topic that is a moot point especially when you consider all of the different ways people can voice their concerns about the car. Soldering wires or not? That is a valid topic when it is a concern about a TC's design and they potential buyers who may not have the money, or skill to solder. People will talk about what they consider "possible problems" that may be issues when people run the car, fix, modify what have you...So jumping on someone because they are trying to figure out how they can use connectors, or route wires differently to enable that, and then responding by trying to tell them "you need to solder your batteries or else you can't use this car" is even more useless info than we all need.
Soldering is my concern too. I'm a racer. I hate to solder batteries. I use connectors. I also noticed that the wire routing they show is going though the belts. To my knowlege not usually a good idea because any excess slack on the wire will = belt rubbing, but makes for a great way to see all of the car in pics.
I'm willing to bet most people that use connectors will be routing their wires through the upper deck on the non belt side of the battery. May make for more difficult repairing, but I see it as an only option. Hopefully this ends the bickering..
wcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote