R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-22-2005, 01:23 PM   #8476
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to BuddyB
Default Paul is my father

http://www.parmapse.com/jrx.jpg...that is a decent starting point, me and paul have made some changes to that setup lately and the car is better than ever. Im gonna see if paul will make a new page with the current setup on it, this thing is awesome!
-Buddy
BuddyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 03:03 PM   #8477
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdoc
but 10 mile per hr wind wont move it like it would an rc body because of the weight to mass difference....like I said...time some laps with a body on an average track....then pull the body off and time some more, you can deny it all you want, but you know what the results would be......
Don't try and bring logic, or even a provable experiment into a discussion like this. From what I've heard here bodies don't make any difference, you just have to
Quote:
drive it like u stole it...no need to worry about the small things
Sorry, sarcasm got the better of me

To all the doubters--
Stick your hand out the window of a car at even 10mph and tell me if you feel any resistance, now look at your hand in comparison to the frontal area of a 1/10 sedan.... kinda similar. Now try turning your hand sideways out the car window and vary the angle... try it at 20mph, what happens...
It doesn't matter how big or small things are, air doesn't have a scale so it will effect things equally per square inch. Our cars are 10 times smaller, but how much lighter? Park a full size car and an R/C car on an open lot in a howling wind and I'll lay money on which one moves first.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:07 PM   #8478
Tech Elite

My opinion on Areodynamics and RC is......... It BLOWS !!!!!! LOL

Really though in the past 2 years I have the chance on several occasions to run my car back to back in practice sessions with different bodies. I have only been able to tell any difference between them in the way each would affect my car on turn in steering. I have never been able to say " this body has less rear downforce" but I have said " this body has more front bite or turn-in". I'm sure some people can feel a difference in rear downforce as well and it may just be my driving style.

Overall, Mdoc and others are correct that the different bodies do work differently. Just like the test of running on a track with a body and then without, do the same test with an offroad buggy but only take off the rear wing and try to hang on to that puppy!!!!! Later gents!

Brant

My Carbon Footprint is Larger than Yours! :p
POOKYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 05:10 PM   #8479
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNSTABLE
Don't try and bring logic, or even a provable experiment into a discussion like this. From what I've heard here bodies don't make any difference, you just have to Sorry, sarcasm got the better of me

To all the doubters--
Stick your hand out the window of a car at even 10mph and tell me if you feel any resistance, now look at your hand in comparison to the frontal area of a 1/10 sedan.... kinda similar. Now try turning your hand sideways out the car window and vary the angle... try it at 20mph, what happens...
It doesn't matter how big or small things are, air doesn't have a scale so it will effect things equally per square inch. Our cars are 10 times smaller, but how much lighter? Park a full size car and an R/C car on an open lot in a howling wind and I'll lay money on which one moves first.
This hand technique is how I taught myself the way control surfaces on my RC airplane would make it fly before I started flying. Keep It Simple! LOL

Brant

Old 10-22-2005, 06:37 PM   #8480
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to BuddyB

Get a Parma Alfa and you will be dialed!
-Buddy
BuddyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 07:42 PM   #8481
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kwikvdub

TQRacing / 360 v2 RC Raceway / Team Downgrade Designs
Kwikvdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 08:16 PM   #8482
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

I do think different bodies handle different, just not maybe to the extrme some may think. I think how the weight is spread over the car matters as much, if not more. For example, roof hieght, over hang front and rear of the body, etc.

I have tested bodies both myself and with drivers who have been in A mains at world and national events. Usually whatever they "think" will happen before testing miraculously happens.

The problem is there is as much of a difference from one run to the next without changing bodies as there is when you do change one, sometimes.

Of course a mazda 6 will handle way different then an HPI F150 body, but when people say they feel the difference from one alfa to the next because of the depth of the hood line cuts, I wonder.

I'm working on a way to test Aero theories and have some proof, .....it may be a little while longer, Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 08:47 PM   #8483
Tech Elite

Jim--Will this new wind tunnel give real numbers or only 1/10th scale numbers???? LOL J/K

Brant

Old 10-22-2005, 09:00 PM   #8484
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

lol Jim, now your saying things we can agree on
Mdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 09:28 PM   #8485
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

IMO you can only feel the difference at the end of the straight where the speed going in is highest...what can i say i dont use brakes...its either the car infront of me slowing me down or the friction of tire to track
R/C Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 11:03 PM   #8486
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

I have the BK bearing setup on my front of my car and was wondering if guys are chewing them up by running a spool as I tore up all of them tonight?

Will the MIP CVD's hold up better on the front with the spool than the LVD's? Just trying to figure out what parts I should order this week for next weeks racing.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)

Last edited by wyd; 10-23-2005 at 12:24 AM.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 01:15 AM   #8487
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default some questions....

are the JRXS shocks a direct fit on the XXX-S and can you use the JRX-S steering knuckles on the XXX-S c-hubs for more ackerman? Anyone know if Losi will be releasing the lvd for the XXX-S or other cars? I read Losi said they were sometime back, but I have not read anything recent.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 07:59 AM   #8488
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DirtyDog3375

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd
I have the BK bearing setup on my front of my car and was wondering if guys are chewing them up by running a spool as I tore up all of them tonight?

Will the MIP CVD's hold up better on the front with the spool than the LVD's? Just trying to figure out what parts I should order this week for next weeks racing.
Yes, running a spool can destroy the bearings that go on the driveshaft pins. (only piece of advice is to stop hitting things.....sorry )

And leave the LVD's in the front as they were designed to run with a spool setup. (you shouldn't need to buy any LVD's, all you'll need is the rebuild kit, but that's only if there is excessive play in the LVD's in the first place)
DirtyDog3375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 09:00 AM   #8489
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCknight
are the JRXS shocks a direct fit on the XXX-S and can you use the JRX-S steering knuckles on the XXX-S c-hubs for more ackerman? Anyone know if Losi will be releasing the lvd for the XXX-S or other cars? I read Losi said they were sometime back, but I have not read anything recent.
The jrxs shocks are too small to fit onthe xxxs
not sure about the knuckles or if losi is making lcd's for the xxxs

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 11:43 AM   #8490
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog3375
Yes, running a spool can destroy the bearings that go on the driveshaft pins. (only piece of advice is to stop hitting things.....sorry )

And leave the LVD's in the front as they were designed to run with a spool setup. (you shouldn't need to buy any LVD's, all you'll need is the rebuild kit, but that's only if there is excessive play in the LVD's in the first place)
Yeah I did hit a few times but nothing big but with the spool it magnifies the damage 10x. I will just get spare bearings as I have a place someone gave to get them fairly inexpensively. I will get a few rebuild kits to.

The car is pretty neat to run as it drives very flat compared to some other cars I have ran. I'm going to work on it more and see how much better I can get it.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote