R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-29-2005, 11:54 AM   #7996
Tech Adept

Speaking of the rear motor layout of the JRXS, I think it is just an evolution in the design process. I was in vegas at the IIC and saw the pros running both layouts of the car. Just because there is a new design doesnt mean that the original is a failed attempt. At the time the car was released I think it was the best Losi had to offer. Then you get team drivers who are constantly tweaking there cars to compete and a new design emerges. I am happy with my car, a little harder to work on but I wouldnt hesitate to recommend it. I would like to try the new chassis layout and see the differences. Try to keep up with the 415, it seems like the team drivers always are running prototypes with that car.
JimMcClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 12:09 PM   #7997
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainblows
Just throwing something out for discussion. If the central battery JRXS (motor forward or backwards) isn't faster than contemporary cars (it may be as fast), why not prototype one with a SW, XXXS, 415, or TA05 motor-batt layout? Keep the current JRXS suspension geometry. If it works, it works (plus you have easier batt loading/soldering). Worse case, you learn something (e.g., was it the layout or suspension geomety?). Best case, you have a car that doesn't seem to still be in development (e.g., BK brackets/arms, motor back). How would a short-arm, 2-belt, graphite deck XXXS compare?
From TeamLosi's Website:

"Track Tested, Race Proven
The first JRX-S prototype hit the racetrack as a XXX-S with shortened arms to test the short arm technology in mid-2003. The short arm suspension was the only way to get around the drive train and centered mass. With this new design, the car showed faster lap times with greater corner speed on both carpet and asphalt tracks. This encouraged the Team Losi development team to move onto building the first prototype JRX-S. The short arm XXX-S actually showed incredibly fast lap times at the 2003 U.S. Indoor Champs warm-up, but the secret could not be let loose so soon. One year later, a pre-production car was shown to the R/C public at the 2004 IFMAR World Championships in Kissimmee, Florida, in its first major competition. There were two JRX-S cars in the A-Main, finishing 7th and 10th. A few months later a pre-production JRX-S Top Qualified at the 2004 U.S. Indoor Champs in the modified Touring Car class that also saw as many JRX-S drivers (5) as all other manufacturers combined in the A-Main. The 2005 racing season started with Brian Kinwald winning in the 19T class at the prestigious Novak Touring Car Championships in Brookfield, Wisconsin."

Fastfreddy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 01:33 PM   #7998
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hi guys I was looking for part # or at least the size of the bearings that go on the dogbone drive pins and into the outdrive cups. This is a Kinwald hopup I think. Thanks guys.
jeffb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 01:45 PM   #7999
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb
Hi guys I was looking for part # or at least the size of the bearings that go on the dogbone drive pins and into the outdrive cups. This is a Kinwald hopup I think. Thanks guys.
Part number is LOSA-6932

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByB...rchType=Newest
Fastfreddy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 02:18 PM   #8000
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb
There 3/32 x 3/16 x 3/32" Metal Shielded Bearing

and if you prefer, ebay have them on post# 6001391356
Old 09-29-2005, 03:42 PM   #8001
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcClure
Speaking of the rear motor layout of the JRXS, I think it is just an evolution in the design process. I was in vegas at the IIC and saw the pros running both layouts of the car. Just because there is a new design doesnt mean that the original is a failed attempt. At the time the car was released I think it was the best Losi had to offer. Then you get team drivers who are constantly tweaking there cars to compete and a new design emerges. I am happy with my car, a little harder to work on but I wouldnt hesitate to recommend it. I would like to try the new chassis layout and see the differences. Try to keep up with the 415, it seems like the team drivers always are running prototypes with that car.
I expect cars to evolve, but it seems that Losi is making fundamental geometry or weight changes fairly quickly. More than SW->IWC and XXXS->XXXSG+ (short front shocks,
lower roll centers, and offset hubs. More than small tweaks for a car only a few months old, imho.

Yes, new design does not mean the previous is bad. But also, if it's not noticeably better than what else is out there and harder to work on, is the only advantage that it's cool to look at?
rainblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 04:04 PM   #8002
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfreddy74
From TeamLosi's Website:

" One year later, a pre-production car was shown to the R/C public at the 2004 IFMAR World Championships in Kissimmee, Florida, in its first major competition. There were two JRX-S cars in the A-Main, finishing 7th and 10th. A few months later a pre-production JRX-S Top Qualified at the 2004 U.S. Indoor Champs in the modified Touring Car class that also saw as many JRX-S drivers (5) as all other manufacturers combined in the A-Main. The 2005 racing season started with Brian Kinwald winning in the 19T class at the prestigious Novak Touring Car Championships in Brookfield, Wisconsin."

Careful of marketing spins. I'm not saying the car is bad, but from second/third-hand reports, people were not ready to copy it at Worlds. Sure, Losi hadn't much experience with it yet and different drivers from the other driver+cars that made podium. Still a good result though. Also, good result for the '04 Indoor Champs and Novak race as you quoted, but those fields did not include the typical international field that included more different drivers and car makes. I think someone quoted that Matt could have made the A at Vegas. That's a good sign they are making progress.

Again, don't view it as me being down on the car design, I'm trying to learn what is good/bad about it. For example, centralized batt-motor seems like a great concept and should be way better than the others, but where is it failing? Why does the motor in back allow it to carry more corner speed? I guess only the Losi R&D guys know? Just something to discuss.
rainblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 04:21 PM   #8003
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Get ready for a certain manufacturer to bring out another battery down the center car. Maybe it will be out in 06.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 04:33 PM   #8004
Tech Elite

rainblows--My only argument with your comments is the statement you make about it being harder to work on. On this I completely disagree. Ever change a spur or a belt or the diff on the XXXSG+? How bout making camber link adjustments on the G+? Personally the JRXS has been a joy to build race and tune on this season. I agree that Losi seems to be looking at chassis changes that vary from the norm of minor adjustments or new linkage mounting points. BUT, you need to remember that Losi did not just add short arms to the G+ or put an inline battery chassis on the old Street Weapon they built a totaly neew car from the ground up. The FK05 is a progression from X-Ray that can be traced back several years. The same can be said for others like Tamiya, Yokomo, et all. My opinion is that Losi is looking at all options for this short arm and center line chassis to see what does work and what doesn't. Archive this whole discussion and lets see where we are 2 yrs from now. I'm Extremely happy with my car now and I know from my past 17 yrs running Losi products that I will only be happier in the future. I agree with most of your points and I don't think your trying to start any flames here so I hope you take my comments as intended. The more we all talk and look at this car together can only help its continued success. Game On!

Brant

My Carbon Footprint is Larger than Yours! :p
POOKYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 04:34 PM   #8005
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk
Get ready for a certain manufacturer to bring out another battery down the center car. Maybe it will be out in 06.
Spill the beans Mister! You can't tease us like that! LOL

Brant

Old 09-29-2005, 04:45 PM   #8006
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

FK06?

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 04:47 PM   #8007
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
I would insert a joke here stating that HPI is going to re-release the Pro 3 with hop-ups... but knowing how people misunderstand 1/2 of what they read on the internet... I won't. Before you know it we'll have the entire world of R/C knocking down HPI's door for information on what the new Pro3v2 will include.

Oh....wait.... ummm, nevermind. I don't actually know anything about anything. Certainly not this subject. Ummm... move along, move along, nothing to see here people. Move along.
cartmen34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 05:13 PM   #8008
Tech Elite

Quote:
FK06?
Rumors? Spy photos? Nurd European cousin lives close to the X-Ray factory? Is this in the X-Ray thread? LOL
Brant

Old 09-29-2005, 05:14 PM   #8009
Tech Elite

LOL @ cartmen!

Brant

Old 09-29-2005, 05:23 PM   #8010
Tech Adept

Default JRXS IB3800 fit?

I am currently racing a XXXS-G, and am very happy with it. However, last night I assembled a set of IB3800's and figured out they will not really fit properly. So , I have been wanting a new car to go racing with and am wondering if the IB 3800's will fit in the JRXS. Maybe with a different tray, or is the location too small? I am tempted to just reconfigure the pack to fit in the XXXS, but with a real crude test it seems like the battery side of the car would be to heavy. Not to mention the CG going up.

So what gives do these new cells fit any of the new touring cars right?
beerbarron is offline   Reply With Quote