R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-20-2005, 12:44 AM   #7366
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Today I did some testing on carpet using Takeoff 27/22 (f/r) rubber tires at Gilroy.

Easiest to drive was Todd Hodge's Stockton carpet setup...However, my car was lacking the front spool in its setup.

My other JRX-S had the Josh Numan Reedy asphalt setup on it and turned the fastest times.

Has anyone else tried driving their JRX-S on carpet with rubber tires and the BK shock brackets? What did you think?

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 05:19 AM   #7367
TCR
Tech Addict

bill you should be able to read that set, I havent seen a computer it looked bad on, it's huge, maybe try printing it out
TCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 06:10 AM   #7368
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRX-S Bill
Today I did some testing on carpet using Takeoff 27/22 (f/r) rubber tires at Gilroy.

Easiest to drive was Todd Hodge's Stockton carpet setup...However, my car was lacking the front spool in its setup.

My other JRX-S had the Josh Numan Reedy asphalt setup on it and turned the fastest times.

Has anyone else tried driving their JRX-S on carpet with rubber tires and the BK shock brackets? What did you think?
Yup, I had my car setup for an outdoor race last weekend, but it rained so I had to race indoors. The car was setup using Josh Numan's asphalt setup and I couldn't be bothered to change it!

The only things I have changed from that setup is to put the diff back in (42 pulley). The car is dialled on CS22s (GLs) using Jack the Gripper additive.
JRXS_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 06:15 AM   #7369
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

So you two are saying the Numan setup will work on carpet with rubber? That is comforting to know since I had no idea where to even start with a setup in LV. I just put the setup on my car and will try it out today for the first time on asphalt. If it works well on carpet to then I am set for LV then till someone down there comes up with something better.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 06:17 AM   #7370
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti35
So you two are saying the Numan setup will work on carpet with rubber? That is comforting to know since I had no idea where to even start with a setup in LV. I just put the setup on my car and will try it out today for the first time on asphalt. If it works well on carpet to then I am set for LV then till someone down there comes up with something better.
Take the spool out though as it will not give you enough turn in. Turn out is incredible with a spool though. Diff is better all round.
Tell us how you get on!
JRXS_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 09:25 AM   #7371
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRXS_chris
Take the spool out though as it will not give you enough turn in. Turn out is incredible with a spool though. Diff is better all round.
Tell us how you get on!
Chris,

Spool with the overdrive pulley (41T) has plenty of turn in. Car rockets out of corners with the spool too.

In my mind, an issue remains that there may be too much grip with Josh's asphalt setup when the traction comes up at a major event like the Las Vegas race.

The really good news is that we should be getting some great rubber and foam carpet setups for our JRX-S's after the Las Vegas race.

Need some Team Losi input...Ohhhhhhhhh, Todd?!?

Old 08-20-2005, 09:58 AM   #7372
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well it started out as a tough night for my first race with the JRXS, but it smoothed out. I had some severe glitching problems at first and had to re-route some wiring and triple the servo tape underneath my receiver and it went away. Anyone else have that problem? Once I got the glitch solved the car rand very well, incredibly stable during cornering.

PookyT, I think I had your brackets on correct, but they rubbed a little on the front rims. There are two sets of brackets, and the meatier ones (more material) go on the front correct?

Thanks!
racer-oZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 10:14 AM   #7373
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to brians11

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer-oZ
Well it started out as a tough night for my first race with the JRXS, but it smoothed out. I had some severe glitching problems at first and had to re-route some wiring and triple the servo tape underneath my receiver and it went away. Anyone else have that problem? Once I got the glitch solved the car rand very well, incredibly stable during cornering.

PookyT, I think I had your brackets on correct, but they rubbed a little on the front rims. There are two sets of brackets, and the meatier ones (more material) go on the front correct?

Thanks!
Yea, you got them on correct
Old 08-20-2005, 10:19 AM   #7374
Tech Champion

Racer,

Did you use cap head type screws to affix the bottom of the front shocks to the PT bracket? That is the only conflict I had between the wheels and the new shock positions.

Old 08-20-2005, 01:38 PM   #7375
Tech Fanatic

As far as carpet set ups go, I built a new car for the Las Vegas race and consulted Todd before I started about the set-up. His advise was to build it with the Newman set-up to start with and adjust from there.

Todd is in Canada this weekend so that may be the reason he is not able to give an answer at this time.

I have been using button head screws when running the BK brackets so they clear the wheel.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:24 PM   #7376
Tech Champion

Thanks for that info Scott.

Old 08-20-2005, 02:29 PM   #7377
Tech Master

bill, yep i did use button head screws... the metal was rubbing on the rim during suspension compression... i am going to dremel off some material to make them clear the wheel. You know how it goes when you put a brand new car on the track... gotta get used to how things go together.

racer-oZ
Old 08-20-2005, 02:58 PM   #7378
Tech Fanatic

No problem Bill. So are you getting your car dailed for Vegas? Must be nice to have a Carpet track close by . I was hoping to make it to Gilroy prior to Vegas to practice for a couple days, but i don't know if my schedule will permit. Plus with the price of gas, damn it .
Old 08-20-2005, 05:49 PM   #7379
Tech Master

what aftermarket wheel hex adapters fit the jrxs... i heard the dynamite ones i used to run on the xxx-s don't fit.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:32 PM   #7380
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I ran the Numan setup today for the first time on asphalt and I think it is DIALED!! Only issues I had was the front wheels rubbing the screw for the BK bracket but I will make some adjustments for that. Yes I was running button head screws as well. It ran great in my qualifiers but I probably should have went to a hotter tire for the main. It was a little loose, but still managable. If this setup works on carpet I will be happy!! I will just need to make another set of brackets for my other JRXS for LV and replace the abused bottom chassis on my current car.

JRXS Bill, you are gonna be in LV, right? Would be cool to meet you in person. If you catch a glimpse of my cars it will have my screename on the side of them, minus the 35!!

Last edited by Yeti35; 08-20-2005 at 09:49 PM.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote