R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-03-2005, 10:34 AM   #7111
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhuang
I have both cars. MY JRXS was so awesome at the Sizzler. I didnt do squat with it-some due to my fault-some due to others. I love the JRXS in 19t and mod mostly. Theres nothing wrong with it in stock except I cannot seem to be be consistent with it. So I am going to try a few other cars in stock and see what happens.
Ray--What do you think about cutting down the fronts to get the brackets on? Do you think you would loose too much front bite?

Brant

My Carbon Footprint is Larger than Yours! :p
POOKYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:40 AM   #7112
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOKYT
Ray--What do you think about cutting down the fronts to get the brackets on? Do you think you would loose too much front bite?

Brant

I think thats part of it. Another theoretical issue is that your decreasing the contact patch, so same pressure on a smaller area might cause car to be edgy, maybe dbl steer. A lot of things could happen by going to a narrower front.
Again-just guessing-it might push in low grip conditions and might become edgy or even cause car to start to tip up or traction roll in high bite.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:45 PM   #7113
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Without really having the car in front of me, and dont have any foams to try it myself, what if you just ground down the arm where the bracket mounts, to move it flush with where the shock would origionally mount on the arm? Would that make enough difference, or is that even where the problem area is?
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:56 PM   #7114
Tech Elite

The limiting factor is that the shock spring cup is dead against the carrier. In the regular position mounted on the arm the cup is to the inside and slightly behind the carrier. With the brackets( BK or PK ) the shock cup is now in front of the carrier and touching it. There just is no room to move the shock to the rear in the bracket position. I have been staring at it for like a day and a half.

C'Mon Ray--Be a man and sacrafice a set of fronts. Cut off 3.5 mm and see what happens to the car. Then bolt on a set of front brackets and see waz up. Inquiring minds wanna know! Kevin K or anybody with a good carpet set-up maybe you guys can try the narrow fronts and see if it changes anything.

Brant

Old 08-03-2005, 06:10 PM   #7115
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Pooky....You really dont want to start to narrow up the front wheels much that will lead to more traction at the front of the car. You could narrow all the tires up the same and try that but then again you will be increasing your traction in the tires and like Ray said that would lead to crazy things on higher bite. This was something that we tried years ago when we first started racing foams and when guys would show up with the jaco 26 or 24mm foams they would have a ton of traction. Then as the bite became higher they would start to double steer and traction roll.....all they would need to do was put on 28mm or 30mm foams and that would go away. So on the front of the car making them less then 27mm wide would lead to these issues. I dont see anyway to get them to work with the brackets in the front on foams....I will look more into this once we really get going on carpet again.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 08:12 PM   #7116
Tech Elite

Thanks Kevin--I don't see any way yet to do it either. I've got a set on the front of my car now and am looking at them but I really don't see any way to Git R Done! I'm not giving up and if you guys have any ideas then lets shout them out. Carpet season for the rest of us will be here before we realize it. Maybe with the new Losi arms coming out they have some way around this problem.

Brant

Old 08-03-2005, 08:25 PM   #7117
Tech Champion

What new arms???
Old 08-03-2005, 08:37 PM   #7118
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Doug Gaut

Losi has some new arms that are being molded with new shock mounting positions already in them.
Doug Gaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 08:37 PM   #7119
Tech Elite

Quote:
What new arms???
Hodgemoto said they are working on some new arms that will incorporate the bracket mounting positions.

Brant

Old 08-03-2005, 08:55 PM   #7120
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOKYT
Hodgemoto said they are working on some new arms that will incorporate the bracket mounting positions.

Brant
Thanks Doug and Brant. YOU know there is a way to get more lower shock mounting positions. INboard shocks!! But-I am nt signing up to tackle that engineering masterpiece or mess!! But, how cool would that be? Even the shocks inline with the centerline of the chassis. Theres a Perfect place to mount them too-yup-right on top of the front CF top plate.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:18 PM   #7121
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks Doug and Brant. YOU know there is a way to get more lower shock mounting positions. INboard shocks!! But-I am nt signing up to tackle that engineering masterpiece or mess!! But, how cool would that be? Even the shocks inline with the centerline of the chassis. Theres a Perfect place to mount them too-yup-right on top of the front CF top plate.
You Da Man Ray!!!! I'll buy two set-ups as soon as you get them made!

OK! As best I can tell there should be enough room to drill, tap and mount the shock bottom directly to the C hub. Or maybe I can get the brackets to have a raised hole for foams. I don't know how strong this would be but it will keep the shock out on the "arm" . I can't take time to try this yet as I'm making brackets like a mad man tonight. I'll see if I can in the next few days and get afeel for it. I've got an asphalt race next weekend and maybe I can try to run them then. Keep you guys posted.

Brant

Old 08-03-2005, 10:47 PM   #7122
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Roberto Falcon

anyone know what to do to lock the front diff?
Old 08-03-2005, 10:57 PM   #7123
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Sand paper
Old 08-03-2005, 11:27 PM   #7124
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto Falcon
anyone know what to do to lock the front diff?
XXX-S Spool Pads (basically sandpaper discs).

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 12:27 AM   #7125
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

JB Weld
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote