R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-30-2005, 10:37 AM   #5611
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

WED i totaly agree with you on the" hiding behind the keyboard" thing People have their own opinions and I respect that but sometimes i think people take it too far just to try and bash something that they dont have or have had problems with. I mean Yes the chassis problem with my car dosent make me happy because I have to wait to get it on the track but that dosent mean I would give up on it. I drove a friends jrxs yesterday and it was great, I also drove a corally last week and it was just about the same. Dont really see what the big deal is behind bashing other peoples cars.
James605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 11:00 AM   #5612
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Okay....soap box moment...

Hey guys, got something for people to think about...

This is about the complaints people have about other peoples....complaints.

Have you guys ever been by one of the magazine threads in the chat forum? Well if you haven't, one of the biggest complaints people have (other than too many ads) is the fact that most of us, in our entire time in this hobby, have NEVER seen a review of a kit that was 'bad'. You know like, the latest crappy video game clearly gets a 'bad' review.

People gripe non-stop about how there has apparently, NEVER been a bad kit made. And that the reviews of kits really can't be trusted because the reviewers will never really just say, 'this car sucks', as game reviewers will when its called for.

But then those same people head back to the thread for their favorite car, and jump on anyone who has a complaint. Does anyone else see the problem here?

If no one is allowed to say:
-The handling of this car isn't good
-My kit was missing a part
-etc....

Then all we're left with is those same 'all good' reviews that everyone seems to despise in the print magazines.

My point is, everyone who has a complain ISN'T just someone "hiding behind their keyboard", "don't even own the product", "car bashers" and "looking to start trouble". Some of them have legitimate complaints that MUST be heard if we're going to have a fair and balanced thread. For everyone who loves a car and has no problems, theres someone who hates it and has had nothing but problems. Then theres all the people between those two extremes. But ALL of them deserve to be heard without the fear of being jumped on or labeled as trouble makers.

All I'm saying is, think about it before you label people as trouble makers. They may just be a fellow racer just like you who just by chance happened to get that defective product you didn't, or race on that one track that a particular car isn't suited for, and is frustrated over a legitimate problem.

I agree, the best way to get a problem fixed to go to the company, but theres also nothing wrong with being a little upset about it and voicing their displeasure. Otherwise, all we got left are threads full of the same stuff we see in those magazine reviews. And no body wants that.

Okay....off the soap box......
Old 05-30-2005, 11:05 AM   #5613
Tech Rookie

Yea,even with the small issues so far,the car is awsome.I for one, am not
complaning,or ready to trade it in, just thought I was alone with the problems or had done something wrong in my assembly.
Question, when I pick up the car in the center front, the left rear shock
compresses around 2.5-3.5mm before the right rear even moves. Anyone
one else see this?
Even swaping shocks has the same effect. I think it has something to do with
the tweak I am seeing.
I put some 1.5mm washers under the left side tray post, it seems to help some.
Even though I have only a few post,I have been keeping up with this thread
for quite some time.Great info.

WED,where in Kisimmee are you.Do you work at a shop currently?

Thanks,
Brian
JRXSBMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 11:46 AM   #5614
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

Darkseid, your points are true, but most don't have a problem with, "man, this car is causing me grief, help me figure this out".
The problem is with "X brand is the worst in the history of R/C, I drove over it with my 18 wheeler, set it on fire, stepped on it then threw it in the trash, i'll never buy another X brand vehicle again!".

If someone called any manufacturer and told them, your stuff sucks, i'll never buy it again, total rubbish, trash, crap, junk, you should be ashamed". That manufacturer may hang up the phone, knowing they can do nothing to help that former customer.
A better approach may be, "Hello, i'm very concerned with a problem i'm having, maybe you can help me correct this issue?".

It is called, decency, respect, tolerance, good judgement and common courtesy and it goes a long way to solving problems. Sometimes it doesn't take take place on the internet, with a small group of people at least.

If my mom burns the meatloaf, I don't tell her, "mom, you suck, this is the worst meatloaf EVER I am ashamed of you".

But on the internet I might, LOL...."keyboard balls"........In the long run, who cares, none of this matters in the least, it is entertainment. Well, at least if your not a manufacturer who could lose some business based on what someone who may never have owned your product says.....Some people actually believe this stuff, good or bad, it gets taken to heart sometimes.

Just like the mainstream media. The magazines are not perfect, BUT, neither is the internet, in fact i'd lean more on the magazine articles. They avoid the truth on occasion, rather then just making it up as they go, like the www.

Anyway, on topic, my JRX-S has run excellent, but i'll always try and "HELP" those who may have a problem if possible.............LOL, Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 11:48 AM   #5615
Tech Elite

JRXSbman, I live off 192, I help out at JR Hobbies on occasion and i'm friends with Robby, From Superior hobbies and Specialized R/C(the USA Corally Importer), I paint his bodies and he runs our bodies when he runs off road as well.

Where are you at in Fl?.....Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
Old 05-30-2005, 12:55 PM   #5616
Tech Rookie

WED,I'm in Orlando. Work at Colonial Photo & Hobby.Just getting back in the racing side of the hobby. Took a break for a while and raced full scale.
Is Rodney still at JR's doing the heli thing?
Gonna try to make the Superior race this weekend,maybe see ya there.

Brian
JRXSBMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 02:37 PM   #5617
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default JRX-S Setup from Team Losi

Here is my new rubber tire setup that Team Losi provided me with while testing for the Reedy Race at 4 Fun Raceway last week. It also worked well at SoCal Raceway (indoor asphalt) which is radically different from 4 Fun.

This setup is absolutely based upon using BK Shock Brackets at all four corners. They are aluminum brackets with hole spacing of .275 (C-to-C). One hole tapped at 4-40 and the other hole straight cut for 4-40 screw. If you can't make the BK brackets, please contact POOKYT for them.

Most of this corresponds to a setup that Todd Hodge posted on 5/13/05.

FRONT SUSPENSION
Toe In/Out - 0 degree
Ride Ht - 5mm
Camber - Neg 1 degree
Kick - 0
Caster - 4 degree (will bump up to 6 degree when new carrier is available)
Pulley - 42F/42R (will try OD 41/42 setup soon)
Front Drive - Spool (currently using XXX-S pads)
Diff Height - High
Sway Bar - None
Front Pivot - 0
Roll Center - High
# of shims under front blocks - 2 being the .050" and .035" = .085" (to try .1 soon)
Shock Tower - Low
Center Drive - Spool
Drive Shaft - Bearing
Camber Ball Stud - Short Neck
Shock Position - #1 at Top and in BK bracket
Camber Link Position - #2
Hex - Standard
Drive Axle - LCD pin (Team had bearings on pins)
Ackerman - #1
Bump Steer - No washers on spindle or drag link
Drag Link Location - Above
Droop - 1-2 mm above ride height
Arm Spacing - Middle
Shock Oil - 40wt TL
Shock Piston - #56
O-rings in Cartridge - 1
Bladder - TL White
Above Bladder - 1 Tamiya red foam (I am using 0)
Shock End - Shortened by 3/32" (to achieve full travel)
Spring - 12.5 lb (Alternate is 15#)

REAR SUSPENSION
Toe In - 2 degrees
Ride Ht - 5mm
Camber - Neg 1 degree
Shock Position - #2 top and in BK bracket (BK bracket attached at outer hole in arm)
Camber Link Position - #6A (had to shorten rear links to do this)
Hub - 0 degree
Hex - Stock TL
Drive Axle - CVD pin (Team had bearings on pins)
Camber Ball Stud - Long Neck
Shock Tower - Low
Diff Height - High
Sway Bar - None
Rear Pivot - 2
Roll Center - Full Low
# of shims under blocks - 0
Drive Axle - LCD pin (Team had bearings on pins)
Droop - 1 mm above ride height
Arm Spacing - Middle
Shock Oil - 35wt TL
Shock Piston - #56
O-rings in Cartridge - 1
Bladder - TL White
Above Bladder - 1 Tamiya red foam (I am using 0)
Shock End - Shortened by 3/32" (to achieve full travel)
Spring - 10.5 lb (Alternate is 12.5#)

Bodies for different tracks:
- Protoform Stratus 3.0 All-Purpose
- TL Alfa

Car was dialed for asphalt at 4 Fun and Ripon.

Bill

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 02:50 PM   #5618
Tech Elite

Brian, Ya, Rodney is still there, always wrenching on the helicopters. I gave up on em', too much money when they bounce, LOL. I'm not sure about superior race yet, there is a warm up for our Off road Florida state series at B&B this weekend. The state race is the weekend after, but alot of hardcore guys will be there to practice, I can't miss that can I? 2 hour drive, so I may skip it and go to Robs(Superior) . I won't know for sure until friday or even saturday, since we have alot of work to catch up on here. Maybe i'll see you at Superior?

JRX-S bill, what was the biggest difference you felt going to the "BK brackets" set up? I'm wondering why the same result can't be reached with corresponding springs and oil to feel the same? hhhmmmmm, Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
Old 05-30-2005, 02:54 PM   #5619
Tech Champion

Jim,

My take...With all the weight so centrally located in the car, we need soft springs to get weight transfer to the wheels. To hold the weight of the car up with soft springs, we need them to be attached to the arms as far to the outside as possible...Hence, the BK shock mounting brackets.

It is soooooooo good.

Bill

Old 05-30-2005, 02:55 PM   #5620
Tech Champion

Going to barbeque...Back later.

Old 05-30-2005, 03:38 PM   #5621
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to GTIRACER

DARKSEID and CANNON- You are both right. If you dislike a product or have a bad experience then should be able to voice you opinion in a public forum. But just because people on this forum like the Losi car doesnt mean they are blind followers.
I personally like just about every touring car out there. Its my opinion that not one of them has a clear dominant position and its the TOP drivers that make the difference.

But I assume that Cannon is a grown man. If he came on this forum and said, he disliked the car and it problems the he personally encountered and then contacted Losi and they refused to rectify the problem, and then he decided that he would never buy from them , THAT would be a decision I could respect. He would have handled like the adult he is. But to come in her and talk about how he threw his temper tantrum is rediculous and im sure it was with the intented to get the party started (let the flames begin). If my child threw a tantrum like that I would ground them for a good long time.
Hondas and Toyota quality wise are some of the best on the road yet I know people with both that have had nothing but problems with their cars. It happens to even the best. Nothing is perfect.

And as for the keyboard courage, I would tell you in your face to grow up if you threw that fit in front of me. Anyway im done here with this.
And by the way I think the RDX is a great car too. Tosolini has ran pretty well with it too
GTIRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 05:35 PM   #5622
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)
Default Wheel base

I am running the same set up as posted before (I can repost if needed), but I have lengthened the rear wheel base. Front is in the middle and rear is set to full long.

It was a subtle change, but lap times showed it to be a little faster and I felt the car was little better. Seemed to rotate faster in the tighter 180 sections. Next time out I plan to run full long like we did on the XXX-S..... I will report back..

Reminder: carpet/foam tires....
Old 05-30-2005, 05:50 PM   #5623
TLRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracingkid
It should still be well balenced, but you will probably want to stiffen the car up.

Todd, Is there ay rel adantage to the BK brackets and a softer spring as oposed to a normal shock mounting and a stiff spring? Thanks

I had the same results with both.

I have noticed that the car is much more consistent per lap.
Team Losi Racing, Orion, Nitrotane, Spektrum, Imagine It Graphics, Bradley Fine Line Designs, and Lunsford.
Todd Hodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 05:52 PM   #5624
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Doug Gaut

Thanks for the update Rob!! Keep the great info coming please. I am in the process of installing your setup this evening to do some testing on our local carpet track this next week.
Doug Gaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 05:54 PM   #5625
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Doug Gaut

Todd, do you think the brackets will show benefits on carpet as well?
Doug Gaut is offline   Reply With Quote