R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-26-2005, 09:32 AM   #5506
Tech Initiate

Any ideas on release date for the 3700 battery tray? and is the production model going to be an aluminium version or a moulded plastic version?
Rockape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 09:45 AM   #5507
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default a few weeks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockape
Any ideas on release date for the 3700 battery tray? and is the production model going to be an aluminium version or a moulded plastic version?
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Hodge
The trays should be hitting shops in a few weeks.
anodized aluminum me thinks.
cartmen34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 10:32 AM   #5508
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartmen34
anodized aluminum me thinks.
You are correct.

btw-I was able to make my two GP3300-shrunk wrapped and shoe good batteries fit in the car. Before modifying-the battery door was a good 3/16" from shutting. Now its flush. It took dremeling the battery tray and just a slight pass the on the rear bulkheads-VERY little taken off on the bulkhead (like 0.010" right at the top).

Also-I checked my non-shunk wrapped GP3300's and they still fit in the battery tray with just a slight wobble. I have a new unmolested plastic tray I will use for my GP3300 and IB3600 batteries.

I am still going to get the aluminum tray though.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 12:24 PM   #5509
Tech Initiate

Thanks Mike

Hope to be racing with you and Alex real soon.
J Tronzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 12:40 PM   #5510
Tech Addict

OK guys this is not a flame post or anything and although my screen name reads it,i dont drive a losi(anymore) but i was just wondering how the new cars are working out for you guys once you got or are getting past the battery tray issue. are they that much of an improvement over the xxx-s? are they doing good on the track? thanks guys!
losi jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 02:49 PM   #5511
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBLove
Sorry to hear about the delay. I think Platinum was closed for 5 days. With your delay I am assuming they never shipped it. Give Phou a call tomorrow and see what's up...................

Baahhhh... I bought it from his post in the for sale thread... and it was to be shipped "tomorrow" meaning last friday, 5-20. I called yesterday.. and he has no explaination. I know i did PAY for priority 2 day service.. but according to the paypal shipping notice, it was sent parcel post.

IT IS STILL NOT HERE... 7 days later. I have passed right through annoyed... i am now IRATE.

I am DYEING to know what he is going to do to rectify this.

Keith
Old 05-26-2005, 02:56 PM   #5512
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Thumbs up JRXS

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi jon
OK guys this is not a flame post or anything and although my screen name reads it,i dont drive a losi(anymore) but i was just wondering how the new cars are working out for you guys once you got or are getting past the battery tray issue. are they that much of an improvement over the xxx-s? are they doing good on the track? thanks guys!

I had no battery tray problems. My cells fit in easliy. As for the car compared to the XXX-S it is a MAJOR IMPROVEMENT! The car is awesome, does not need an aftermarket chassis to make it work, does not need $400 in hop-ups to make it work, it just flat out works and works good, No GREAT!

The JRXS is a car that you cannot go wrong with.

Later,
CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 03:35 PM   #5513
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhuang
You are correct.

btw-I was able to make my two GP3300-shrunk wrapped and shoe good batteries fit in the car. Before modifying-the battery door was a good 3/16" from shutting. Now its flush. It took dremeling the battery tray and just a slight pass the on the rear bulkheads-VERY little taken off on the bulkhead (like 0.010" right at the top).

Also-I checked my non-shunk wrapped GP3300's and they still fit in the battery tray with just a slight wobble. I have a new unmolested plastic tray I will use for my GP3300 and IB3600 batteries.

I am still going to get the aluminum tray though.
Are you saying that the IB3600's fit with the standard battery tray? (as long as you build the batteries according to the losi instructions)
Rockape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 03:51 PM   #5514
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K
Default Battery Tray....

With all the renewed talk about the battery tray I wanted to ask you all a question. With my tray out of the car all my GP 3300 packs with extra shrink wrap and with out fit 100% perfect in the tray. Now when I place the packs in the car minus the tray they sit 100% perfect. When I put the tray in the car with the packs its like the front 2 or 3 cells get pulled forward and are no longer sitting perfect in the tray. The tray still can close but the front 2 or 3 cells are not sitting flush in the tray. Has anyone else noticed this? Itís not a huge problem but I donít see how the packs fit fine in the tray before itís in the car and once itís in the car they donít sit fine. Also something that I noticed with the tray is that it was hitting my battery bar that connects the last two cells. I had to grind the tray some there for a little extra clearance. I this might have been a problem with some of the guys trays early on....I know for me it made the tray harder to close until I ground a little off of it.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 04:07 PM   #5515
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi jon
My battery tray issues have been well documented. With that said though, that is/was about the only beef I have with the car. If Losi's new 'magic' tray actually solves the problems with 3700/3800 cells so that I can mount up some stock bulkheads, I'll be a completely happy camper!
Old 05-26-2005, 04:13 PM   #5516
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

KEVIN, I have the exact same problem; cells sit perfectly w/o the tray, when I put it on those 2 cells are pulled forward and up a bit and they don't sit flush, but I don't think this will affect the car's performance in any way, they're like 1 or 1.5(max) mm off, but I will probably grind a bit off the tray and evberything will fit perfectly.
tc3blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 04:20 PM   #5517
Tech Champion

TC3Blue....Yeah I ground on the tray and it doesnt seem to make much if any change to the way they sit. At first it was like the front 3 or 4 cells now I have it down to 2 or 3 cells but the the amount I had to grind on the tray now has the cells almost below the tray when not in the car. From the looks of everything it seems like the front of the tray that holds the pack in place is whats the issue but I will wait for the new "magic" tray and hope all is well after that. You are right the amount it moves I dont think its going to change anything handling wise, it just doesnt seem right.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:29 PM   #5518
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Kevin - I've kinda noticed the same things, but I've always been able to get my packs in and the tray shut without a problem, so I guess I haven't thought too much about it. But you've got my thinking about the rear of the tray again, as I noticed it was really close to the bar (I assume you're using the ginormus Hurricane bars too). I don't think mine were rubbing, but I'm gonna double check.

As for the question of the how everyone likes the car: I've got limited track time so far (2 days), but am impressed with what I've seen. Can't wait to get back out running with it again (but gotta wait a week or 2 more ).

Question: If you tried to run Hodge's asphalt set up a couple pages back without the BK brackets, any recommendations of the springs to use to get an equivelent feel? Thanks for the help!
Old 05-26-2005, 04:48 PM   #5519
Tech Champion

Chuck....Yeah it was with the Hurricane bars but deans bars were close as well and if youre soldering challenged it might be close also.

Yeah I like the car so far I have only been able to get out two times with it and one time was on asphalt in 40deg weather the other time on carpet. On carpet it was good it didnt do anything crazy for the first time on carpet which I have never had a car do that yet. It did have some on power push but I only had limited time on the track and just wanted to get a feel for the car more then totally start to take a wrench to it. I like the car I can say right now it feels better then my XXXS with a mod motor in it and it only has 4 packs on it so far on carpet.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:53 PM   #5520
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Battery Tray

With IB3600s and or GP3300s they will fit the tray fine until put in the car. The tight tolerance on the rear bulkhead where they mount up pushes the cells forward ever so slightly. With just a little dremeling on the rear bulkhead they will fit perfectly. Wihtout the extra shrink wrap and shoe-goo between cells there is no problem.

Hope this helps.

Later,
CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote