Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-17-2005, 05:23 PM   #5296
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up Re: Re: Re: servos

Quote:
Originally posted by karlo511
so it's up and running now?

thanks orlando for setting me down in the main, needed to get that corner spot on the stand
no problem..

actually i liked that corner spot too.. easier to judge the end of the straight and the dog-leg directly in front of te drivers stand..

Old 05-17-2005, 05:46 PM   #5297
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: Re: servos

Quote:
Originally posted by karlo511
so it's up and running now?

thanks orlando for setting me down in the main, needed to get that corner spot on the stand
Hey,

It is not up and running just yet.

I am still waiting for batteries and a power supply. I expect to be fully operational within the next two weeks and racing again... finally!
Intelligentsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 07:57 PM   #5298
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Re: servos

Quote:
Originally posted by OSherman
I plan on using the FUTABA S9550 (shorty) servo. Just wondering if that's a bad choice before i buy.
I run the Fut S9550 and it clears the motor even with some BIG 19T rollouts. My P.T. is mounted in front of the servo and there's still enough lenth in the wire for some clean routing. It should give you the most clearance for fitting a servo saver, although I haven't tried fitting one yet. The servo performance is perfect, even compared to my big-Tq Airtronics servo.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:36 PM   #5299
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

So how has everyone been doing with their new JRX-S? Winning some races?

I've got a revised carpet set up with foam tires that I will post later. It's REALLY good................. Turns on a dime with a 7 turn, but is easy to drive and not twitchy at all...
Old 05-18-2005, 12:20 AM   #5300
Tech Elite

Post BK Blocks

The second batch of blocks are finished and will ship to you guys today. Good Luck with them and let me know if you have any problems.

Doug--I'm sorry I did not get pics taken tonight. I was trying to get this last batch out and I am pooped!!! I will put some pics up tomorrow night. They are nothing fancy just small retangular aluminum blocks with the 4-40 threaded hole and the through hole on opposite side.

NOTE!!!!!!!! Guys--Use a button head screw on the through hole for the front arms so you won't take a chance of the wheel rubbing it under full lock.

Brant
Sore Fingers
B-Main Motorsports

My Carbon Footprint is Larger than Yours! :p
POOKYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 01:49 AM   #5301
TCR
Tech Addict

pooky how do you determine the proper spacing for the holes?
TCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 01:52 AM   #5302
TCR
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by RBLove
So how has everyone been doing with their new JRX-S? Winning some races?

I've got a revised carpet set up with foam tires that I will post later. It's REALLY good................. Turns on a dime with a 7 turn, but is easy to drive and not twitchy at all...
sweet I cant wait to see what you changed
TCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 05:35 AM   #5303
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by TCR
pooky how do you determine the proper spacing for the holes?
Hodge said that the two holes center to center were spaced at .275" I am using that to center up the holes before drilling.

Brant

My Carbon Footprint is Larger than Yours! :p
POOKYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 06:41 AM   #5304
Tech Apprentice

Default Stuff to share

Second time out with the car at our local track today in Singapore, South East Asia. Weather is warm and very humid. Ran with box set up on Monday 16th to get the feel and character of the Losi. Tyres Sorex 40R on Type B mediums. Motor Orion 8x2 geared 128/25. Track is around 10+ seconds a lap, tight with a 80ft back straight going into 150degree u-turn into a switchback. I am a one-way stick driver with smooth line driving and I very rarely use brakes, finishing consistently in the A-mains in our local touring scene.

Setup as per manual. The car was twitchy on the whole so i had to detune exponentially -20%. Ran 6 packs with no changes to car on Monday. Consistently overdrove the u-turn at the end of the backstraight, this having to let off the throttle mid-straight. Slight on-power push but roll recovery is fantastic. The car switches well left to right to left and I could achieve this while throttling.

Changes made are the following during today's practice.

Front shocks. 40wt to 60wt to desensitize the steering sensitivity. Leaned shock into innermost hole since I have no option tuning springs yet.

Front Camber link. Top hole to run parallel. Lowers the roll center to allow it to roll easier.

Rear roll center. Copied Joel Johnson running all 8 shims below pivot blocks to raise roll center to stabilize the rear from rolling about too much.

Rear camber link. Copied Kinwald's Socal setup with short link. Trying to break the rear loose to achieve better rotation.

Effect? Without any sway bars in stock, I tried to achieve this aggressive stance the above way. Nose down attitude. But still I overdrove that u-turn at the end of the straight. I personally hate to brake cos i lose all momentum, even drag brakes.

The one that did it finally for me that knocked down my lap times was to switch the front and rear springs. Yes, 35lb to the rear and 12.5lb to the front. Please try it. This car attacks every corner very well. Shaved a whopping 0.5sec off my average lap time.

Will keep you all informed with hot and humid weather testing here in Singapore.

from the stock set-up, The changes have in order:

1. High diffs = a better cvd/lcd angle to the diffs/spool
2. Long rear camber = A more stable rear end, trying to get the car to steer from the front not the rear. It seemed to eliminate the rear from stepping out.
3. 2 degree rear toe bracket = I think this is stock but I tried so much I just ended up here and the rear bite and steering were the best so far.
4. Low rear roll position = When using the higher position and/or shims the car needed a short camber link to get the balance of steering and rear grip, but the rear was a little unstable.
5. 0 front pivot = Well I tried 2,1,0 and the initial steering was better with more toe-out in the pins, the middle was lacking. With 0 and the low rear roll the steering was back in the middle of the corner and the entrance was not compromised.

I guess I should of changed 5 and 6 because 6 was what I worked on before 5.

6. High front roll = To get the car to turn in and carry the arc I raised the front roll, the higher I raised it the better it got (but more than 2 thick shims and some arm and carrier plastic needs to be removed) So I stopped at 2 thick shims.

7. camber just for reference

8. Spacing the arms forward well = I tried all three ways and I liked forward better

Remember your results may vary But we got to try stuff outside the box (only way to learn)

Ron [/B][/QUOTE]
elijahbaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 09:41 AM   #5305
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to brians11

Todd, On the setup you posted, I assume the upper shock mount is all the way in on both towers?
Old 05-18-2005, 09:49 AM   #5306
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: servos

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg Sharpe
I run the Fut S9550 and it clears the motor even with some BIG 19T rollouts. My P.T. is mounted in front of the servo and there's still enough lenth in the wire for some clean routing. It should give you the most clearance for fitting a servo saver, although I haven't tried fitting one yet. The servo performance is perfect, even compared to my big-Tq Airtronics servo.
cool, thanks...

btw, are you a KAWASAKI rider too (your avatar)... I just picked up a 636.. lots of fun..
Old 05-18-2005, 11:33 AM   #5307
Tech Initiate

Default First Race

Hoping to run the car this weekend (Asphalt-Open Track)

Are there any suggested changes I need to make to improve on handling. Have variety of springs and swaybars.

Don't want a car that oversteers, is too aggresive or twitchy.

Just want a ride that an old fart can be comfortable with.

Thanks
J Tronzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 12:47 PM   #5308
Tech Master

Default Re: First Race

Quote:
Originally posted by J Tronzano
Hoping to run the car this weekend (Asphalt-Open Track)

Are there any suggested changes I need to make to improve on handling. Have variety of springs and swaybars.

Don't want a car that oversteers, is too aggresive or twitchy.

Just want a ride that an old fart can be comfortable with.

Thanks
Front Suspension:
camber -1deg
toe 0deg
pivot block 1deg
high roll center
diff height low
caster 6deg
shock position middle hole
40 weight losi l
spring 35lbs
droop 3 - measured from hub boss
camber link middle
front drive pulley 41T spool
arm spacing middle
shock towers low position
ride height 5mm
no kickup
no anti dive
front swaybar 3rd from thinnest

center drive - direct/spool

Rear suspension:
shock position - all the way out
rear uprights - losi standard 1deg hubs
pivot block 2 deg
high roll center
diff height high
camber link position 4A
camber -1deg
shock oil losi 40 weight
shock spring 12.5lbs
no anti squat
no pro squat
droop 5
arm spacing middle
ride height 5mm
rear swaybar 3rd from thinnest

motor: reedy ti worlds edition 8x2
128/25
body- ride accord
used stock wing but kept it big for more downforce unless rules suggest a proper cut wing.

car is very stable and balanced. this is my low-medium bite track setup

TQ'd last local race w this simple setup it's been awhile since i've had transponder #1 clipped in my car.... thanks TEAM LOSI
Fatboy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 12:57 PM   #5309
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: servos

Quote:
Originally posted by Intelligentsia
Hey,

It is not up and running just yet.

I am still waiting for batteries and a power supply. I expect to be fully operational within the next two weeks and racing again... finally!
Ahhh finally, i get my new toy today.. will probably be a couple weeks till mine is in racing order too..
Old 05-18-2005, 03:57 PM   #5310
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: servos

Quote:
Originally posted by OSherman
Ahhh finally, i get my new toy today.. will probably be a couple weeks till mine is in racing order too..
Glad to hear it You gonna help me wet up my car? I have been out of the loop

What is the next race that you are going to attend? I noticed that you are not in for Reedy this year.
Intelligentsia is offline   Reply With Quote