Team Losi JRXS

Old 10-04-2004, 07:24 AM
Tech Adept

I never seen a "european" track but, I don't think the JRXS will have any tougher of a time on rough tracks than any other car. I've never seen the need for more than 5.5mm ride height unless it's on unswept parking lots with stones/gravel. Which i know i'll never run on. LOL
Short arms/dogbones means light weight for quicker suspension movement. All the weight in center should make it pretty stable over the rough just like 2wd buggies. So it's nothing a soft spring setup can't fix.
I could be wrong. LOL
Old 10-04-2004, 11:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I can see why one would be concerned on a bumpy track. I remember back in the day when the rc10 buggy had the short arms on it and the xx had the long.. the xx went through the rough stuff like butta....

but in all honesty... how bumpy of a track has anyone been on?

the car will be dialed on carpet IMHO.. and to me, thats all that matters..

Keith
Old 10-04-2004, 12:02 PM
Tech Adept

All the asphalt tracks I've run on have been smooth so no biggie.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

From RCZone.net
Old 10-04-2004, 12:39 PM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by dasupacat
I never seen a "european" track but, I don't think the JRXS will have any tougher of a time on rough tracks than any other car. I've never seen the need for more than 5.5mm ride height unless it's on unswept parking lots with stones/gravel. Which i know i'll never run on. LOL
Short arms/dogbones means light weight for quicker suspension movement. All the weight in center should make it pretty stable over the rough just like 2wd buggies. So it's nothing a soft spring setup can't fix.
I could be wrong. LOL
If you have to drive in wet conditions you may need way more than 5.5mm ride height. 7mm at least maybe more.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:08 PM
Tech Regular

Something to remember regarding the short arms: Back when touring cars came on the scene and grew in popularity they were designed to run on unprepared parking lot surfaces. These surfaces were not as smooth as the asphalt and carpet tracks most of us race on now, so longer suspension arms were necessary. Now that TC is one of the most popular types of racing, the majority of races are run on purpose-built tracks that are smoother than most parking lots. So it really makes sense to use shorter suspension arms if the car will be raced primarily on these tracks. It gives the car a competitive advantage over cars with conventional length arms.

Wouldn't surprise me if all TC's eventually use shorter arms for this reason.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:15 PM
Tech Regular

so what actually does the short arms help with? Just wondering.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally posted by mtc3od
so what actually does the short arms help with? Just wondering.
shorter arm should give a car quicker response.... less floaty/lazy feeling car...
Old 10-04-2004, 02:27 PM
Tech Adept

Essentially the shorter arm has to travel a smaller distance to get the wheel at the different angles compared to a longer arm.

This in turn makes the reaction between angles quicker and thus makes your car change direction and respond quicker.

Andy
Old 10-04-2004, 02:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Short arms...means you sell alot more of them.
(look at the TC3)

Is it just me or is this new car ugly as hell?
Old 10-04-2004, 02:41 PM
Tech Addict

Most tracks in europe and especially UK are quite bumpy, so the need of a very good suspension is real over here, and a good suspension with regard to bump absorbing has got to have long arms as Buggy racing proved it...
Old 10-04-2004, 02:44 PM
Tech Adept

Short arms will be stiffer than long arms.

When was the last time you saw a bare chassis win concours?

My XXX-SG+ isn't beatiful.......just fast. LOL
Old 10-04-2004, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

OK, real life synopsis here, previous tourer, RC Lab GT3, excellent car, great handling abillity, massive turnin, but would VERY quickly run out of rear traction, mainly due to the short arms, so too much droop would cause other problems. It also became a handfull on anything other than a smooth surface. Ripples in the carpet would really upset it.

Car I got now is an Academy STR4 Pro, it got much longer arms on the car, it changes direction just as fast as the GT3, it has the same turn in, and agression, but the major difference in the car is the way the rear end will let go of traction, the GT3 would just snap away, the STR4 Pro, would break into a drift, as the suspension movement is more subtle. Also mid corner ripples do not upset the car half as much, if not, even less.

So, on a silky smooth track, shorter arms will maybe feel a tiny insy wincy bit better than the longer arm, throw in a couple of bumps mid corner though, and it is a whole new ball game.

Remember, car design is ALWAYS a compromise between handling and grip. For most, the compromise got to be in a very well mannered car, for the few, cutting edge is good.

And yes, the car got to be nicknamed Frankensteins monster RC.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:06 PM
Tech Adept

Hmmm...I wonder why "real race cars" have everything centered and lowered. Like engines, tranny, fuel, & even short suspension in some cases with the exception being open wheel. Could it be for handling?
Old 10-04-2004, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally posted by artwork
Short arms...means you sell alot more of them.
(look at the TC3)

Is it just me or is this new car ugly as hell?
Some of the ugliest people are the fastest out there ...maybe the same is true of chassis?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.