R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-25-2005, 02:29 PM   #4396
Tech Elite

Quote:
Qualified 3rd and finished 6th in stock. The 6th place was stupid mistakes because the handling of the car made me overconfident. Without the mistakes I would have been 2nd. I usually struggle to stay out of the B.
The only other JRX-S at the track finished 1st in stock and 2nd in open mod. Incredible, considering Brett Sisley still had the car in the box Saturday 4:00 pm and missed the first qualifier because he was still bolting in the motor.
Ah c'mon. Second place was WAY out ahead, about spaced as far as brett was in first, which was his first time EVER running onroad (as he usually runs offroad) with his TC3 which I set up for him. Then he broke on the last lap, but still "finished" fourth...

In open mod, I annihilated brett with my new XRay, that I bought used and had never driven untill yesterday, and never even messed with the set-up.

Factory AE (B.S. - not bull xxxx) rolling a Losi. He might not like if you keep spreading his name all over the place...
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 02:34 PM   #4397
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Roberto Falcon

Quote:
Originally posted by rayhuang
Nope-too embarrased. I like my cars to look tidy and efficient. This is niether. I'll post pics when its redone. I have had a cold and headache for three days-I blame it on that lol

NO problem Kevin. btw-Disney was awesome-call me tomorrow!!
lol alright man . i feel you
Old 04-25-2005, 02:47 PM   #4398
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Holy moly, I raced the JRXS today!

Quote:
Originally posted by POOKYT
Greg?-- Did you run the center one-way or the center spool? Thanks
Brant
I ran the spool last Sunday, but tested with the center one-way today. The one-way loosened up the rear on corner entry, but didn't actually add front grip. I'm eager to try the one-way diff and also the spool.

Also tried moving the diffs around today! They weren't kidding about that. As an analogy, the diff height is kinda like a dampening adjustment that only affects transitioning maneuvers. It's hard to describe the change it made, but here's my best explanation.

Running the diffs in the LOW position held the car in a turn, almost like someone was pushing on the side of the car, making it roll over. However, the total roll didn't increase, it just felt more stable mid corner. Our track has seams in the asphalt which upset the car midcorner, and running the diffs in the LOW position kept the car firmly planted over the seams.

Running the diffs in the HIGH position made the chassis spring up more freely from one turn into the opposite turn. Likewise, rolling over the seams would toss the chassis around a bit more.

The roll dampening analogy is the best one I can think of right now. Also, the fitment of some parts loosened up a bit, making it far more easy to change setups and whatnot. The drivetrain got even more free spinning, too! It ran forever with a 19T and old crappy 3300's.

Last edited by Greg Sharpe; 04-25-2005 at 02:55 PM.
Greg Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 02:54 PM   #4399
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by LoSi xXx S
for the guys who have this car .. is setting it up hard? im undecided either this car or the xray.
I think so. Ran it twice, working on it non-stop in an attempt to tune the handling without any option parts. It's much closer to the A-main winning pace from last Sunday, but springs are a necessity, as with any chassis. Since there aren't many pieces in the kit, servicing it at the track is fairly straight forward. Just my opinion.......
Old 04-25-2005, 02:58 PM   #4400
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yo Greg, how's the turnout been at jackson ? Might resurface and start racing again next week.

Kyle
Old 04-25-2005, 05:04 PM   #4401
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

After speaking with Gil Jr., it comes down to how you build your batteries. The Losi site will have some info posted in about 2 hours.
When you build your batteries, it is best that extra shrink wrap not be added. Also you should either "CA" the cells together or have the battery bars hold the cells together against themselves. Any spacing or "Shoe Goo" between the cells will make it to long to fit in the car. You should NEVER have to grind away at the bulkheads if you batteries are built this way.
The GP3700 Tray is in the works and this will allow you to run the 3700's by just dropping them in...assuming you built them the way we suggest.
Also if you are noticing a "bow" in the battery tray when you install it with the batteries in the car, this will flatten out with less than one run in the car. The foam strips in the top plate need to form to the battery pack and once it does, the battery tray will sit flat and flush with the bottom of the chassis.

Hope this helps,
Richard Trujillo
Team Losi
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:09 PM   #4402
Administrator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Richard

thanks for your help, this is the reason most of us waited for the car, exellent support.

matt
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 06:45 PM   #4403
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Trujillo
After speaking with Gil Jr., it comes down to how you build your batteries. The Losi site will have some info posted in about 2 hours.
When you build your batteries, it is best that extra shrink wrap not be added. Also you should either "CA" the cells together or have the battery bars hold the cells together against themselves. Any spacing or "Shoe Goo" between the cells will make it to long to fit in the car. You should NEVER have to grind away at the bulkheads if you batteries are built this way.
The GP3700 Tray is in the works and this will allow you to run the 3700's by just dropping them in...assuming you built them the way we suggest.
Also if you are noticing a "bow" in the battery tray when you install it with the batteries in the car, this will flatten out with less than one run in the car. The foam strips in the top plate need to form to the battery pack and once it does, the battery tray will sit flat and flush with the bottom of the chassis.

Hope this helps,
Richard Trujillo
Team Losi
Finally some concise, accurate information from the factory. Makes me feel much better about the car, the idea of hacking away to simply get cells in was turning me off in a major way. Apparently the Aussie shipment is on its way ot the Grants (of IFMAR fame) so looking forward to seeing the car in person.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:49 PM   #4404
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Rich,

Thanks for the info about the bowing of the battery trays going away. That is what I experienced too; but, was wondering why.

My only optional part so far has been to place 17.5# springs on the rear. The car is great on asphalt!

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 06:59 PM   #4405
JRM
Tech Initiate

Default Nice.

Thanks Rich. I'm glad I won't have to worry about altering my batteries or hacking up my new car!

Bill, thanks for the chassis info. I picked up some Emery paper today at lunch and hope get get most of the chassis prep done tonight. This is my first fiber chassis car so I'm taking my own sweet time with this step.

I'm in no rush to finish the car. I don't know what I enjoy more, wrenching or driving

Thanks to everyone else that provides great info on this thread.

JRM-Losi guy since '94
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 07:26 PM   #4406
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

well that sux!

No extra shrink wrap results in a messy job if you want to reassemble your cells at a later point! IF the cells are CA'd together, then it will pull apart the lone shrinkwrap when it time to disassemble. There goes our precious battery spec labels!

Plus using CA on battery cells is just nasty.

And everyone knows that soldered battery bars should not be the only thing holding a pack together!
403forbidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 07:27 PM   #4407
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

I have only used solder and bars to hold my packs together for many years. Whats wrong with it?

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 07:35 PM   #4408
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by L.Fairtrace
I have only used solder and bars to hold my packs together for many years. Whats wrong with it?
I guess I have always shrinked and Gooed my cells since way back in the day. Also my batts do double duty for on-road as well as off-road. I made my battery tray fit my 3300's with the existing shrink and goo. I guess I will stop using anything other than bars and solder when my IB's get here. Later Gents

Brant

My Carbon Footprint is Larger than Yours! :p
POOKYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 08:00 PM   #4409
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by gazza
yo Greg, how's the turnout been at jackson ? Might resurface and start racing again next week.
Kyle
Skinny Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuy in the hooouuuse! Jackson is heating up bro! I refuse to name drop, but the stars are coming out in force, including Mr.Two-Time-Big-Race-Winner himself!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Trujillo
The foam strips in the top plate need to form to the battery pack and once it does, the battery tray will sit flat and flush with the bottom of the chassis.
Hope this helps,
Richard Trujillo
Team Losi
Upon completing the kit, I left a battery pack in the car overnight and sure enough, the foam pads settled in by morning. Twelve packs later, they still fit snug.

Quote:
Originally posted by 403forbidden
well that sux! And everyone knows that soldered battery bars should not be the only thing holding a pack together!
Just for a moment, ponder the tight fit of the JRXS battery tray. How on earth are the packs ever going to get out? I got six feet of air this afternoon launching off a beveled curb at Jackson Raceway without breaking anything. Your batts will be fine!

Quote:
Originally posted by L.Fairtrace
DITTO. p.s.-wus up short stuff? Gonna race with us anytime soon?
Old 04-25-2005, 08:04 PM   #4410
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

well I'll have to come out and race against the two time big race winner, and you of course Mr. Wolfgang Colin Bill Pennan David Greg Sharpe

oops.... forgot Boris