R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-23-2005, 09:33 AM   #4261
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hi all,
Fist thanks everyone for your purchase of the new JRXS....I know it's been a long wait.
Although I do not have first hand experience with the 3700's, I do not remember seeing the guys have to chop up their cars like the above pictures. Unfortunately Todd's not around and I know that everyone that probably has an answer is out of town. I'll do my best to get an answer to this issue on Monday morning. It's the best I can do right now
Thanks,
Richard Trujillo
Team Losi
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 09:38 AM   #4262
Tech Adept

One more thing, if you have any issues with your kit please contact customer service at Team Losi and not Horizon Hobby. The number for Team Losi customer service is toll free 1-888-899-LOSI (5674) M-F 8:30 - 5:00 PST

Thanks again,
Rich
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 10:21 AM   #4263
Tech Adept

Thumbs down

OMG! What a handful!
Antonio Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 10:32 AM   #4264
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkseid
POOKYT: here are the pics that you asked for.

This first one is of the highly dremeled rear bulkhead. I've done some stress testing on it, and there appears to be no weaking of the bulkhead. Its very well supported above and below, so there is no fear of structural weakness.

Basically, just keep grinding till you can actually get the 3700 up into the battery slot....(It wont go up all the way, but the next pic deals with that)
Wow that's a lot of meat you had to grind off there ...I read on Xray's site, in talking about the mods needed to fit the 37/3800's into the FK05 that the cells were .4 mm bigger than 3300's (3300's - 22.6 mm diameter, 37/3800's - 23mm diameter), that looks like a heckofalot more than .4mm bigger worth of hogging out!
HarshGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 10:42 AM   #4265
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

HarshGuy
Thats .4mm per cell or about 2.5mm for a pack.

Also what happend to the guys saying "it's worth the wait.... it will be right when it comes out...." blah,blah,blah. Seems like the JRXS has its issues as well.
dway100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 11:52 AM   #4266
FWR
Tech Addict

Picked mine up Thursday evening and took Friday off of work to put it together. No problems with parts fitting or anything like that. As reported by others, I had to take the shrink wrap off of my 3300's to get them to fit without modifying the car.

The only thing I am concerned about is the servo wire coming between the front belt. Are there any pictures out there that show how that wireing was handled? Where is the picture of the car with the white clips?

There is a chance of rain this tomorrow so there is a chance I will get to run it.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:18 PM   #4267
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

With regards to the layshaft being difficult to install, try this. Leave all lower chassis bolts one turn loose until the entire drivetrain is installed. I found the tolerances so amazingly close that many parts didn't seem to fit at first..... Only to find out it was because of the tight tolerances. I'd bet the car would make a whole lap without a single screw or bolt in it! It's that tight. Who wants to bet money on that?

With regards to the battery fitment, I loaded every 3300 battery pack I own into the car. Every single one drops in with nothing more than the force of gravity, and some had multiple layers of shrink wrap. I only sanded where the directions showed on the rear cell slot. Darksied, you must have overlooked something! Without the battery foam strips, my packs rattle around, so there's room for the bigger cells.

Below is a picture of a "wire management clip". I routed the servo and p.t. behind the spur gear for no other reason than because I hate exposed wiring. Fuzzy pic, camera sucks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jrxswiretie.jpg (89.6 KB, 306 views)
Old 04-23-2005, 12:20 PM   #4268
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

To route the wires behind the spur gear, I used a total of three wire clips. One near the servo and two behind the spur gear. There isn't enough slack in either wire to allow deflection into the spur gear or front belt, so it's safe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jrxswireroute.jpg (93.1 KB, 267 views)
Old 04-23-2005, 12:35 PM   #4269
Tech Adept

Default battery fitting

I had to remove the shrink wrap to get my gp3300 batteries to fit. I definately filed down the rear slot enough because the battery is even with the bottom of the chassis. I can't figure out why some of us are having problems and some of us are not. Cars should all be identical. I guess I will just have to remove the shrink wrap for now since the Hurricane cells I buy come pre done with wrap.
Andy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 01:06 PM   #4270
Tech Champion

Andy,

I think you just pointed out the problem for many. Intially, I filed the rear battery slot only somewhat. Didn't want to overdo it. Later, to get the rear cell flush with the bottom, I had to file away about 2-3 times more material than what I had removed earlier. After that, the 3300 battery with THIN shrinkwrap easily drops in place WITH SOME ROOM TO SPARE. I haven't done anything beyond filing/dremeling the rear battery slot in the bottom plate.

Will start checking into the 3600/3700 battery fitting issue next.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 01:09 PM   #4271
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (99%+)

I thought the the problem with getting the car out was with Losi having to "redo" the chassis to accept the 3800's that "were on the way" but if you guys are having problems with 3300's kindda makes ya wonder....HUH?
Old 04-23-2005, 01:17 PM   #4272
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by mistercrash
Darkseid
After looking at your pics, I must admit that you have a lot of courage to do this to a brand new kit It broke my heart to look at the pics but it had to be done.

RBLove
Will there be corrections made to the kit to address this little "glitch" (if you permit me to call it like that). I don't mind to have to do a little tweaking here and there but this seems a little extreme

P.S.: I'd hate to have to make a website for a Losi kit like the one I made for the TC3
Crash,

I did not have the problems with my battery slots. I have yet to run 3700's. I do know Losi is working on another battery tray to better accomodate the 3700's...
Old 04-23-2005, 01:19 PM   #4273
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by jonny69
"I would think with a front spool and layshaft oneway you would get the best of both worlds. Something you will have to try. May be hard to drive on power.....".

By doing this you get the worst of both worlds, no brakes and a crap turn in, I would run the Spool and the locked layshaft.
If you want to go to a one way, you should try one way in the front, and a oneway layshaft. BTW this is based on 415. I am sure it is the same though. Jonathan.
Jonny,

You are probably right. I was just just giving a theory as I have NEVER tried it. I run carpet - foam tires - dual diffs.... Thanks for your input though.. I am a bad person to ask about rubber tire racing
Old 04-23-2005, 02:36 PM   #4274
Tech Apprentice

Default I have to ask...

I know that this is a "PRO" type of car, but is it really necessary to have to do all of this, cutting, grinding, filing and fitting just to get the car to the track?

I really love the car so far, of coarse I'm only on bag "D". And I've only encountered a few little problems so far, however, I have not yet tried to get my batteries in it yet other that a test fit to find out the Deans Battery Bars are too wide. However, I have 7 sets of the older style GP3300's that are basically useless, and they're almost new.

I would think that all of this hacking, cutting and other stuff thats taking place does nothing for the structural integrity of the parts being hacked. I would think that removing any material from the back bulk head would have to weaken the bulkhead as well as the diff mounting. And grinding away at the center shaft plates can't be good.

I would think that before one goes thru all of the rather drastic measures, maybe we should wait to get the Factory guys take and tips on all of this. Because I find it really hard to believe that Team Losi's intent was to design and produce a car that right out of the box need MAJOR modifications and fitting just to get the absolute basics into the car, such as THE BATTERY PACK. I understand that there is always a little fitting that is necessary, usually to free up arms, of maybe align something, or to get a servo or something to fit. But what I have read here, seen here, and am not looking forwaard to doing to my JRXS is just ALOT beyond what should have to be done for a PRO type of car. I've raced BMX, MTB's, 80cc Shifter Karts, MX and I fly both Fixed and Rotor Wing R/C, and have never had to do anything close to what is being done, told or shown to get things to work out of the box.

So if any of the Team Losi Racers, engineers or tech guys would care to let everyone in on the RIGHT things to do, please, show us. The Team cars that I have seen, don't show the kinds of alterations that I have seen on this thread. Attached is a pic of Matts car from the JRXS site. Looks box stock to me...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jrxs rear bulk head.jpg (73.2 KB, 281 views)
blownawayig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 03:35 PM   #4275
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Windsorguy99
Darkseid...aren't you glad they took so long to 'get it right'?

Yeah....well.......no comment.

Quote:
[Originally posted by mistercrash[/i]
Darkseid
After looking at your pics, I must admit that you have a lot of courage to do this to a brand new kit It broke my heart to look at the pics but it had to be done.
Not courage...frustration. My battery packs were as new as the car, I wasn't about to not use them.

I absolutely HATE doing personal mods to my cars, which is why I quickly lose interest in car threads that start talking about cutting this or dremeling that...but in this case, it was something that had to be done.

And now the batteries fit so well, it doesn't bother me much that I had to mod a little to accomplish it.