R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-05-2005, 11:45 AM   #3736
Tech Regular

I think that not only goes with Losi, but other companies when it comes to design. If they aren't confident in it they would scrap it.

As far as drivers jumping from one team to another. I have noticed that there are drivers out there that wonder what if when they see a competitors car do well. They usually jump ship because being sponsored means that you can't drive the other cars. Those are usually the same people who end up jumping ship again when the next hot thing hits. We all have seen those drivers.

People do need a change of pace from time to time. It's harder to do that when you are a sponsored driver, because of obligations to the sponsor. Maybe he figured it was time for his change of pace.....Or someone just decided to offer him more money to race with them. (simple greed?) Didn't Rienhard switch teams after he won the Worlds too? I'm betting that was a money move. And Tamiya needed someone to fill his shoes....so...
wcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 12:26 PM   #3737
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

Is the car out yet??? Just wondering.

IMO it seems the Xray and RDX are proving to be really great cars. They have an apperance that says luxury. They look as good as they perform. I will have to say that in the prototype form we have all seen the Losi does not have that appeal like the others for me.
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 12:47 PM   #3738
Tech Master

Changing from one company to another is not a 'greed' thing. You change to make money... trophies do keep you from being hungy.

I think Rienhard is still with Tamiya.

People spend too much energy looking for things that are not there.

If a chassis looks good to you, buy it, and if it doesn't work for you... sell it.

E
EricF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 01:08 PM   #3739
Tech Champion

An interesting point I would like to make about the import toure'rs (we will call them import for US). There is a different material usage between the highline cars and the high line US cars. The American engineer for many years has used the least expensive ways to produce the cars. While Japanese and Europeans will opt for quality and apperance, hence a slightly higher price at times.

A parrallel to make would be the older US domestic 1-1 scale cars for many years now have been following each other in there stagnant design and manufacturing techniques. While slowly the Japanese, Koreans, Germans have surpased the US auto. I think we are seeing that now in RC.

Not trying to say that the new Losi is no good. But the Losi does look a little old school in the material usage. All the plastic I am saying.

Not attacking here. Just make a conversation that is all. It is interesting that on the internet we almost have to make our intentions known in a topic like this. Or we get slammed ourselves for making constructive critisim. If were all face to face how would we say, talk to each other?

Last edited by dodgeguy; 04-05-2005 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:15 PM   #3740
Tech Apprentice

Reinhard is still with Tamiya although you are right in a way, he switched from Tamiya DE (Germany) to Tamiya Japan (main team.) it was Surikarn that switched before the worlds from Tamiya to HPI!
losi_g+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 01:44 PM   #3741
Tech Apprentice

dodgeguy- What do youmean by old school plastic? If by that you meant that HPI and Tamiya use alloy then yes, Losi and AE are old school, but the composites are lighter than alloy and are perfectly durable for tc.
If you look at off road then USA cars such as XXX, XXXT, XXX4, B4,T4 are the cars to beat. Off road puts a lot more strain on materials and components than TC but still they are made of graphite composites or materials such as stiffzel as are the parts on the XXX-S and TC4. Says it all for me - If it aint broke, dont fix it!
Also i have seen 2 HPI pro 4's literally blow their gear cases and layshafts to pieces! These are both composite items. Although they are wonderful pieces of kit ive never done that with a US touring car!

Last edited by losi_g+; 04-05-2005 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:56 PM   #3742
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Isn't the new sedan all carbon fiber?
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 01:58 PM   #3743
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by losi_g+
Techguy- What do youmean by old school plastic? If by that you meant that HPI and Tamiya use alloy then yes, Losi and AE are old school, but the composites are lighter than alloy and are perfectly durable for tc.
I understand what he's saying. Every other car these days has a little....*bling*...*bling*...especially the ones over $300. All of them except the Losi. It has alloy shocks and bulkheads, but when you compare it to the other $300+ kits, its definitely not as eye catching.

Of course eye catching doesn't automatically equal performance, so its not like its essential.

Although alot of the new cars seem to blend *bling* and performance pretty well.

I wouldn't mind seeing some more flare on the JRX-S, but theres always hop ups!
Old 04-05-2005, 02:01 PM   #3744
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
[i]I will have to say that in the prototype form we have all seen the Losi does not have that appeal like the others for me. [/B]
Pix don't do this car justice!!
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 02:01 PM   #3745
Tech Master

Carbon fiber plate.

Actually I think that the forces are greater in onroad beacuse of the amount of available traction.
EricF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 02:04 PM   #3746
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by EricF
Carbon fiber plate.

Actually I think that the forces are greater in onroad beacuse of the amount of available traction.
I get what your saying but its not often that my XXX-S lands 6 foot plus jumps!!!LOL
Old 04-05-2005, 02:13 PM   #3747
Tech Champion

losi_g+ I did not use the words old school plastic. There are many great composites today. But we do play ith these cars for the most part the cool factor. If looks did not matter than why all the colored parts and such. Color adds to the price.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:39 PM   #3748
Tech Regular

Could the reason LOSI is trying to keep this design and improve it be that it would be a perfect plateform to use when making a nitro touring car? Helps keep the engine closer to center of chassis, makes room for a centered fuel tank. very efficient on chassis layout?
T. Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 03:19 PM   #3749
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by dodgeguy
losi_g+ I did not use the words old school plastic. There are many great composites today. But we do play ith these cars for the most part the cool factor. If looks did not matter than why all the colored parts and such. Color adds to the price.
Sorry, did not mean that to offend you!
You are right, i want my car to look cool, i like my alloy - my Street weapon has trinity kinwald hop ups and my XXX-S features the matt francis line of hop ups. I think youve gotta agree that the JRX-S is more like a japanese design, say a Pro 4 or TRF 415 than a traditional US design such as the XXX-S or TC4. at least they are trying twin deck carbon fibre and as they say, Rome wasnt built in a day!
Old 04-05-2005, 05:18 PM   #3750
Tech Regular

I'm curious as to whether Losi will come out with different length arms as a tuning option ala the Barracuda R3. I would think they have done enough R&D to figure the arms it comes with are the length 90% of the time you will use. I can see a lot of possibilities with this design for adapting to tracks/conditions. Now it's all about the learning curve. I'll still be watching to see what people find it's limits so far are.
Losi I do congradulate you for being different and hope it turns the R/C industry on it's ear when it comes to car design. Maybe make some others steer away from the battery on one side principle and more on keeping weight down the center of the car..Full size racing cars use this, why not R/C?
wcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote