R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-21-2005, 12:07 PM   #2251
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Caster
With the short arms you will have more leverage on the shock.

On any car, when you move the shock inward it will soften that end of the car, because you have more leverage coming from the outside of the arm. Look at where the shock mounts on this car, if you stretched this arm out to a regular length arm, the shock would be much further in than anything else out there, giving it a lot of leverage, hence the need for their heavier springs.
yes, when you move the shock inward you will decrease the mechanical advantage... But..... That's with let's say a Long arm... The arms on the losi are much shorter....

Example... Take a 2x4x8', put a pivot on one end and 100lb spring in the middle.... Now take a 2x4, but 4' in length, same setup... Push down on both, which one will compress the spring with the least ammount of force, the 4' or 8' one???
Old 02-21-2005, 12:11 PM   #2252
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to TL_XXX-S_racer

Sorry to say that you have it wrong Imslms. when you move the shock out on the tower it makes it stiffer. The reason is that it makes it harder to move the shock. becuse the shock is trying to go at an angle when compressed. The shock is straight and not at an angle. Heres a thing directly from the XXX Main book.
"Layed down shocks are softer because the entire force that the shock can produce as resistance against the force of the A arm is not utilized."

Its hard to explain becuase i cant have the diagrams. But if i could ill post the entire thing from the XXX Main book. But when you lay the shocks down it makes it softer. Standing them up makes it stiffer.

Team Corally

Superior Hobbies
"Supplying all your r/c racing needs"
TL_XXX-S_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:12 PM   #2253
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Less leverage thus reason for stiffer springs.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:15 PM   #2254
Tech Apprentice

Gearhead great grab on the Germans. Too bad our American brothers wouldn't give us that hookup...

Too bad I don't sprechen Sie Deutsches. I was suprised to see the Yok shocks. Maybe they didn't have the Losi shocks available? Maybe they aren't so good? We'll have to find out.

TL-xxxs, I meant effeicent / vs soft. I fixed myself. I completely agree with your statement. I should have used the simple 2x4 method. thanks.

Last edited by lmslms; 02-21-2005 at 12:33 PM.
lmslms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:28 PM   #2255
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by lmslms
I was suprised to see the Yok shocks. Maybe they didn't have the Losi shocks available? Maybe they aren't so good? We'll have to find out.
I could be wrong, but the way its laid out...

Oil-80wt
Brand-Yokomo
Piston-Tamiya

...tells me that they were talking about the brand of oil, not the brand of shock.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:33 PM   #2256
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by lmslms
Gearhead great grab on the Germans. Too bad our American brothers wouldn't give us that hookup...
I agree...

Why aren't there any US driver set up sheets availible? The car has been on asphalt and carpet tracks, so theres plenty of info. To be perfectly honest, this whole 'super secret' 'zero information' routine is wearing a little thin.

You shouldn't have to learn German just to find a set up sheet for a US companies' new car!
Old 02-21-2005, 02:02 PM   #2257
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Bobby Flack

What good will having setups do right now? Its not that its a "super secret, zero-information" routine, its just plain the fact the car isnt available yet, so we thought (or atleast I did) that a setup sheet isnt that big of deal.

Once the car is out there will be setups available, so dont worry.

As for shocks on my car, in the front I run 60lbs spring, 60 piston, and 60 oil. In the rear I run a 25lbs spring, 56 piston, and 60 oil.
Bobby Flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 04:04 PM   #2258
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Flack
What good will having setups do right now? Its not that its a "super secret, zero-information" routine, its just plain the fact the car isnt available yet, so we thought (or atleast I did) that a setup sheet isnt that big of deal.

Once the car is out there will be setups available, so dont worry.

As for shocks on my car, in the front I run 60lbs spring, 60 piston, and 60 oil. In the rear I run a 25lbs spring, 56 piston, and 60 oil.
We are lame RC racers, many with little to no lives. We are obsessed with the impending release of a new race car. We are starved for information of any kind, and info has been few and far between. I consider myself a fairly reasonable man...and it does seem like a zero-info policy is in effect. Setups, while not immensely useful, would let us all comtemplate and obsess over something new for a couple days...possibly preventing some severe depression or a nervous breakdown or two.

Today, I bought a new body for a car that does not yet exist. The sickness is deep but I am not alone.

I know it's hard for you to understand. Have fun with your car.

CRCRC club administrator
Kyosho RB6, Kyosho ZX6, Kyosho SC6, Kyosho MP9e TKI
RodneyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 04:11 PM   #2259
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

...and for the record (and the third time), I felt the stiffness of the spring/shock combo, not the wheel stiffness, of Gil-Jr's and one other Losi drivers cars. The springs were around 30lbs or less, as compared to the 30lb springs on my Xray.

Not to beat a dead horse, but it is the ratio of lengths that is the determinant factor in wheel rates of a suspension, which is of importance to this topic.

If the distance from the inner hingepin of the arm to the lower shock mounting location of the arm is shortened, the wheel rate will decrease. That is, it will feel softer. In relation to this topic, the motion ratio of the JRXS suspension arms has been altered (from that of a typical TC) to a ratio that lowers the wheel rates, making even stiff springs feel rather soft.

It will be interesting to see if super stiff springs end up being the way to go since Gil,Jr and at least one other driver were running much softer front springs than Bobby's car which "looked" the best to me.

(/lameness)
Old 02-21-2005, 04:14 PM   #2260
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Team Associated-Express Motorsports-Trinity-Reflex Racing-A Main Hobbies-ProtekRC
John Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 05:32 PM   #2261
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to gatrbite

i may be a little late, but what happened to the counter on jrxs.net
gatrbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 05:49 PM   #2262
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by gatrbite
i may be a little late, but what happened to the counter on jrxs.net
Maybe Gearhead3 gave up and decided to wait and see like the rest of us!

Seriously though, its more likely that he has become privy to some info that will let him make the countdown more accurate for us.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:56 PM   #2263
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
60 lb front and 25 lb rear WOW there must be some serious differences in shock geometry.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:56 PM   #2264
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Its not that its a "super secret, zero-information" routine, its just plain the fact the car isnt available yet.
I'm just speaking from experience with other companies and as a new comer to Losi. Things like individual part numbers, hop ups that will be availible, .pdf manuals, and set up sheets were often availible several weeks before the actual release of the kit. So I guess to me (and to others who have made similar comments) it seems like theres a gag-order on info about this kit.

If its standard operating procedure for you guys I can understand that. I've just never seen something like this before, and so close to the actual release date.

Old 02-21-2005, 06:05 PM   #2265
Regional Moderator

Default Shocks...

Since we're talking about shocks, how exactly does that different shock tower position thing work. I keep looking at the pics, but don't exactly see how its going to be moved high and low. Will it always have all four screws in place, or will it somtimes only use two?

Also, if I'm not mistaken, on one of those German set up sheets, he had the front and rear tower mounted at different levels. Man, theres a lot of tuning on this car!