Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #46
ruf
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ruf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR0SS View Post
Are there any former RC pros that go around to tracks and put on driving schools? It is starting to look like the RC market is prime for one of these.
OCRC has had multiple week "boot camps" in the past. Very cool.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #47
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default more replies... :)

Two whole pages since yesterday, WOW!!!...

All I can say is I'm grateful to everyone who has chimed in. I'm learning a lot (and so are a few others). Please keep them coming!

[now on to the replies...]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMZ View Post
My quick tips:

The way you stand at the drivers stand needs to be in a natural, focused way. Dont grip the Tx to hard , or hold it at a funny angle. Relax your arms , and dont tense up.

Also, lots of practice with lots of tires.

I learn a good amount about my car when I let someone else drive it while I put my head low in a turn and watch the car in the corners.

WAY back in the 80's , there was a guy whose mom video taped every run. He was always 1st,2nd,or 3rd ,and so was I. That night , after the races , we would go back to his house and watch it all on the VCR, and eat cereal.

We learned alot having watched,paused,slow motioned, that nights racing, still fresh in our minds.
I have tried relaxing and tensing up and holding my transmitter all sorts of different ways. I have found that when I'm in a zone I tend to hold the transmitter about chest height. I do fight tensing up and when I'm most aware of it and try to relax, I crash. It's kinda like there's not a lot of room in my brain to focus on anything else other than driving.

I really like the idea of taping my runs. I have to find some way to do this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Honestly, just stare your car down. Any time you break focus on your car, your probability of crashing goes up. Your peripheral vision will widen as you practice. Even when you are in traffic, stay with your car. I can't tell you how many times I dotted out or crashed by "peeking" at another car around me.
This is the mode that I'm in now but it seems that the car gets to the corner and then I react to it so there's a lot of late braking and late apexes. After while it seems like I get into the pattern of sorts and as I know the track more my brain is turning the car before I realize it (like is a reflex action).

"Peeking" is also a problem of mine when I'm trying to pass or being passed. For a moment I focus on the other car and into the boards I go (this has noticeably improved as of late).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbspeterson View Post
Drew nails them both... this is it..Take your beatings, chase the fast guys, cat and mouse, we had one at the old Gate called "Twister"

2-3 cars, line up for a main start, TQ calls the tone, you have 2 laps to make a pass. whoever wins gets a point.

Now rotate cars back, TQ from first run goes to the 3 spot and so on. Now with lipos, you can do this for a long time.

I think we found this helps, not only Starts for mains, but clean passing, and it makes you get in the right mindset quicker. Most guys come in and do 3 or 4 shake down packs, get warmed up before they pay attention to anything thats going on. (personal problem in the past) when you goto a big race, you don't get that. By the time I was "ready" it's the first qualifer...very poor planning...everytime that car hits the track...it better be gametime, take something away from it....

One take away I have had in the past year....this game is alot more mental than I thought it was, part of the work Drew is talking about is the mental prep, avoiding distractions, focusing on the task at hand. It's not just beating laps into the track.
It's little nuggets like this that are so valuable and the reason why I opened this thread. It's a cool game and one I will try on Sunday...

Sponsored By - http://enginesbyotto.com/ & my wallet (mostly my wallet actually...)

ALL IS LOST
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #48
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Proper breathing... may sound strange, but learn that and avoid anxiety, helps a lot with focus.
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:33 PM   #49
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf_ekt View Post
Proper breathing... may sound strange, but learn that and avoid anxiety, helps a lot with focus.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #50
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruf View Post
I agree with the focus on your car and your line. It's easy to start "driving" the cars around you when you get into traffic.

Also understand that there are different kinds of practice. Cat and mouse and follow the leader is great for traffic, driving under pressure, attacking and defending racecraft. I don't think that's what you're talking about when you mention consistency, which I think is a little more fundamental. The thing that helps me the most is spending time on track by myself. Can you dump a pack without hitting ANYTHING? Dialed back on a conservative pace? Or full punch? If you can't lap perfectly well beyond the race duration with no one else on the track (no pressure), then what makes you think you can pull it off in a race?

I just count laps in my head with a target lap count in mind. Start over from 0 if you touch anything. Don't let your mind wander or think of anything other than the rhythm, the line, and adjustments. The pressure starts to ramp when then number starts to climb and you get close to your target. Then it becomes about compartmentalization and focus, counting while putting the meaning of the count out of your head.

The best racers in the world in R/C and fullscale have a laser-like mental focus on their greater objective (winning the race, consistent fast laps) as well as a second nature physical mastery/familiarity of the mechanics that allows them to process, adapt and execute at speed without thought (attack/defend/traffic). Imagine having that focus for hours with the brutal physicality an F1 car or motocross bike. No thinking about the announcer, or who's watching, or lunch or your foot itching, nothing. You can probably yell out any top driver's name while they're on the stand, and they won't even consciously hear you much less acknowledge you. They're in the bubble.

Another area to pay attention to is your body posture. I tend to flex my left leg when I drive. That tension can lead to discomfort, distraction and inconsistency.
There's a lot of good stuff here...

I started this thread to get an understanding of what to practice and how to to it to get to the point where each lap matches the other. My takeaway from your reply (and others) is that each variation (Cat&Mouse, "The Twister", "Out of the gate", Solo, Figure 8's) is important.

This is a very useful post. Thank you.

Sponsored By - http://enginesbyotto.com/ & my wallet (mostly my wallet actually...)

ALL IS LOST
Old 05-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #51
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf_ekt View Post
yeah, also i forget to blink my eyes when I'm really focused. If I don't pay attention when I'm on the stand my eyes will start to dry out.

ALL IS LOST
Old 05-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #52
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
Power is nothing without control

@Art.....Wow you have a nice group or racers in here giving advice.

Aside from whats been talked about this quote above is all I can really express is a big part of being consistent. With out full control of your car you will make mistakes. Start to drive your car where you have full control over it.....if that means slowing down and braking early for a corner so you dont blow the line then so be it. The more control you have of the car the better. Its not always the fastest car that wins the race its the car that is driven the best that wins 99% of the time.

Once you master this then start to push for faster lap times but up front just strive for car control and not many mistakes. We all make mistakes but its what you do after them that will determin what your run is like.

If you get into a rythem on the track dont let a mistake or another driver take you out of it....if something happens just suck it up and keep going.

Aside from what all has been said in here.....dont be afraid to ask for any help or ask any questions when you are at The Track or any of the other local tracks. We are all more then willing to help because the faster you get the hang of it the more likely you will stick it out. So keep up the practice and see you at on the track.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:48 PM   #53
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Put your self in more high pressure situations

practice things harder in eye hand coordination than R/C
ex. juggling 3 to 5 balls doing tricks

practice keeping high corner speeds!
!!!!! OFFICIAL TEAM TURTLE TRAX TEAM DRIVER!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!NEXT LEVEL ADDICTIONS CUSTOM PAINT!!!!!!!
synap2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:18 AM   #54
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Drew is right it is all about practice which I think everyone knows, but just to put it in perspective for you...In order for the human mind to become really comfortable with something is takes 10,000 times of repetition.

If you have other fast drivers locally don't be afraid to ask to help understand what they are doing around the track. Watch those fast guys practice and race and then try to apply what you see to the track. In off-road it is all about patience on the track and consistency, in on-road it is all about corner speed and hitting your line every time. As you have the desire to get faster you will need to practice and run at least 3 to 4 days a week...every week...for a while. When you are at the track I think mostly you are practicing driving and checking your car every few runs to ensure that no settings have changed and that no parts are broken.

In the beginning it is really about quantity of laps, but as you get faster it becomes about quality of those laps. Watch videos on youtube of other drivers...and how they approach the corners. There is a lot you can learn about driving by watching, but trying to translate on the track is hard to do.

What you will notice over time is that you will hit the ceiling of your practice at some point and it will feel like you just cannot get any faster. That is really when you either need to keep driving through it or ask for help. Sometimes it takes another person to see what you are doing and help you to understand how to do it differently. We all spend so much time on setup, but driving is what separates every driver on the drivers stand. Some people are naturally talented which helps them to get very fast very quick, but others have to practice a lot just t be average on a local level. Everyone is different, but I can tell you that the journey will feel very rewarding as you continue to improve.

Good luck!
Old 05-14-2011, 07:35 AM   #55
Tech Initiate

this helped me, i turned my esc down and my epa on my radio to 40% i did 2 more laps than before and within 2 - 3 weeks my lap times (fastest lap and average lap) had gone from being 4 seconds apart to 1 - 2, 3 at max

hth

remember slower is faster
Schumacher MI4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:43 AM   #56
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to scott_g Send a message via Skype™ to scott_g

I think the key to starting to turn consistent laps lies in first knowing exactly where you want your car to be at every moment on the lap.

Now I know that sounds obvious - we all know what a racing line looks like....right?

But I mean really know.

We run a school of r/c locally at our club, and the first session concentrates on racing lines, and on knowing where you want the car to be at any given moment.

We teach that there are four tasks in R/C racing:
1. knowing the racing line exactly (and knowing that as the track changes, and car changes, the ideal racing line changes as well)
2. developing the skills and the discipline to put your car on that line and keep it there
3. developing the setup on your car so that it can deliver the lines, corner speed, acceleration and breaking that you need to stay on your chosen racing line
4. doing all of the above in traffic.

The outline from the first session from our school of r/c is here if you're interested.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:04 AM   #57
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_g View Post
I think the key to starting to turn consistent laps lies in first knowing exactly where you want your car to be at every moment on the lap.

Now I know that sounds obvious - we all know what a racing line looks like....right?

But I mean really know.

We run a school of r/c locally at our club, and the first session concentrates on racing lines, and on knowing where you want the car to be at any given moment.

We teach that there are four tasks in R/C racing:
1. knowing the racing line exactly (and knowing that as the track changes, and car changes, the ideal racing line changes as well)
2. developing the skills and the discipline to put your car on that line and keep it there
3. developing the setup on your car so that it can deliver the lines, corner speed, acceleration and breaking that you need to stay on your chosen racing line
4. doing all of the above in traffic.

The outline from the first session from our school of r/c is here if you're interested.
Brilliant post
hana166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:26 PM   #58
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Check out the iRacing TV site on Youtube it has some really good vidoes on driving line which can be applied to racing on-road. Doesn't help much with off-road but some of the principles are the same.

http://www.youtube.com/user/iRacingTV
5280 Raceway
MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 19-22nd 2018 @ www.milehighindoorchamps.com
bkspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:05 AM   #59
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_g View Post
Great post, but I wanted to highlight this section here. I too have put in my time on VRC and have seen huge leaps in skill in any class I run. Without being too redundant on this very good thread, the above poster has it right. To be consistent you have to have a plan on where you want your car to be at all times. That is step one. Step two is actually putting your car there! This is usually referred to as "hitting your marks." Every time I put a car down for practice I visualize where I want to be, and then try to get there. Don't react to what the car does, get ahead of it.

A good drill for onroad:

Take a bunch of empty "beverage" cans with you to the track. Lay one at each apex you want to hit perfectly and try to hit them without hitting the boards. Once you get better, stand them up to move the target closer to the boards.

But please, only do this if you're practically alone or if your buddies don't mind dodging a few flying cans.
gubbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:34 AM   #60
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to scott_g Send a message via Skype™ to scott_g

There's one other thing we tell the very new drivers, and that is not to expect too much too soon. It's not realistic for a very new driver to go after lines that are consistently 2 inches off the apex, it's just asking for grief.

So we encourage our newer drivers to set themselves realistic goals for their lines and consistency. Start by aiming to drive a racing line that is 2 or 3 feet off the apexes. Once you're getting that right most of the time, the move the target line to 18 inches off the boards, then a foot etc.