R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-13-2010, 07:02 PM   #91
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_B View Post
The point system or ranking system has been discussed off and on for as long as I can remember. There has never been any traction behind the idea because it would be more involved than most would like to admit.
It's going to take the cooperation of the software people and someone to write the database for ROAR. $$, but it would be worthwhile

Quote:
Want more for your $30? Why not start with getting the bigger regional and national races to be ROAR events. Thirty bucks for one or two events a year is a joke.
Not going to happen. The people who run these events are making money on them. ROAR is enough to turn people off, and the organizers don't want to have to answer to ROAR anyway.

Quote:
There are bigger fish to fry in onroad than points and the whole ROAR thing. Like maybe getting buts to the racetrack.
This probably would have been a lot more valuable if something happened when it was proposed....like 8 years ago

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:08 PM   #92
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
It's going to take the cooperation of the software people and someone to write the database for ROAR. $$, but it would be worthwhile

Not going to happen. The people who run these events are making money on them. ROAR is enough to turn people off, and the organizers don't want to have to answer to ROAR anyway.

This probably would have been a lot more valuable if something happened when it was proposed....like 8 years ago
what about a database similar to what they use for RC Pro?

Here is the points breakdown for Electric Offroad with RC Pro: http://electricoffroad.rcprosites.co.../contentid/545 (and yes I know that is two years old)

Last edited by trackdesigner71; 12-13-2010 at 07:18 PM.
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:38 PM   #93
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post

Two things that won't happen and one that should have. Back where we started just like the last time I saw a thread like this.
Fred_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:44 PM   #94
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

you want to know why things like this never get done? its because people like you dont try to get behind an idea when its actually being formed and actually think "hey maybe this could work" or if you dont think itll work, come up with an idea of your own or at the very least, what about the other person's idea wont work and then advise what would make it even better. Thatd be a whole lot more useful than picking everything apart
Old 12-14-2010, 06:47 AM   #95
Tech Addict

Want me to get behind a point system? Do some work up front and try a similar idea locally. Going cold turkey without a solid model and some support from Roar and the manufacturers is a recipe for failure.

There are bigger problems than a points ranking.

If you guys want to see this thing go I'd start with the basic idea and talk to RC scoring to see if they are interested. If it's not built into toe scoring system paople won't want the extra work.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:33 AM   #96
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Want me to get behind a point system? Do some work up front and try a similar idea locally. Going cold turkey without a solid model and some support from Roar and the manufacturers is a recipe for failure.

If you guys want to see this thing go I'd start with the basic idea and talk to RC scoring to see if they are interested. If it's not built into toe scoring system paople won't want the extra work.
+100

I ran/promoted and competed for a number of years in Bicylce races....it was nearly impossible to get other promotors to submit results, and that was with AMB systems in use!!! Heck at one time I was ranked in the top 10 in the state......and I KNOW that wasn't right.

The point is it needs to be as automatic and easy as possible. I'm a big fan of the Idea and perhaps the best way would be to approach it through RC-Scoring Pro.

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED

Last edited by miller tyme; 12-14-2010 at 08:02 AM.
miller tyme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:27 AM   #97
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackdesigner71 View Post
you want to know why things like this never get done? its because people like you dont try to get behind an idea when its actually being formed and actually think "hey maybe this could work" or if you dont think itll work, come up with an idea of your own or at the very least, what about the other person's idea wont work and then advise what would make it even better. Thatd be a whole lot more useful than picking everything apart
There is nothing to get behind, only conjecture. You seem passionate about this issue. Try getting something started at the local level, report the success and failure accurately and possibly we have something tangible to support. Tossing out ideas and waiting for other people to do the heavy lifting and ultimately live or die on the idea's viability isn't a very attractive proposition. Don't take this as an attack. I've done it myself and realized if I don't have the conviction to make it happen why should anyone else?
Old 12-14-2010, 09:00 AM   #98
Tech Elite

I think that would be a great idea...theyre based in the Midwest so Im sure that if they were to get behind it a test case could be done out there
Old 12-14-2010, 09:18 AM   #99
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackdesigner71 View Post
I think that would be a great idea...theyre based in the Midwest so Im sure that if they were to get behind it a test case could be done out there
Hm, I think you're on to something. If this where to happen maybe get one ROAR Regional director on board to do a test run in one region for a year or two to get all the kinks worked out and then move on from there?
henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:37 AM   #100
Tech Elite

yeah. Region 5 might be a good place to start...youve got a few good tracks in that part of the country and a good enough concentration of racers to be able to experiment with something like that
Old 12-14-2010, 10:03 AM   #101
Tech Elite

Quote:

If you guys want to see this thing go I'd start with the basic idea and talk to RC scoring to see if they are interested. If it's not built into toe scoring system people won't want the extra work.
This is true. If someone could come up with a working model on the local level it could used on a larger scale. Doing this would be as simple as ranking all drivers 1-100 using all the classes at one local track.

A better approach would be a structured national program but the only way this will work is if the racers and tracks embrace ROAR.

It doesn't necessarily have to be ROAR but that is what exists right now.

FYI, many of you were not around in the days of NORRCA which was the alternative to ROAR. That "sucked" too.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:37 AM   #102
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
This is true. If someone could come up with a working model on the local level it could used on a larger scale. Doing this would be as simple as ranking all drivers 1-100 using all the classes at one local track.

A better approach would be a structured national program but the only way this will work is if the racers and tracks embrace ROAR.

It doesn't necessarily have to be ROAR but that is what exists right now.

FYI, many of you were not around in the days of NORRCA which was the alternative to ROAR. That "sucked" too.
I agree that the tracks need to start being ROAR tracks.

One off topic thing that I would like to see is a way for novice racers to race without a mambership for a short time. Giving the novice racers a little time to get going before asking for a membership would help. The 30 bucks doesn't mean much for most of us but for a kid that just got a RTR it may be a challenge.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #103
Tech Elite

thats one of the beauties of the SCCA system...the new racers arent "thrown into the deep end" figuratively speaking...I think something scaled down to the RC level would be perfect.

1. attend 2 "drivers schools" at your local track (this will require help from some of the more experienced drivers...have one maybe once or twice a month and cover the basics of RC and racing...maybe let em run a few laps to get a feel for driving on a track)
2. After completing 2 drivers schools and 3 club races they can get a limited membership that allows for running at local and regional events
3. Complete 2 regional events (plus the $30 fee) and get a full national membership

Or something like that...
Old 12-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #104
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to smracer31

Being a long time NASA and SCCA member, im surprised roar hasn't followed suit on a nationwide points system. No way would i pay an organization money when theirs nothing in it for me. Im just a local club racer like most of us, i have no intention of going to a large race to compete with the pros. However, if roar had an established points system on a regional level (similar to nasa) and the top 10 drivers in each region were allowed to compete at the Worlds(Runoffs) you bet i would pay my dues. Having a year long competitive battle for regional champion is a blast, and also encourages higher attendance. If driver A is competing for 1st-4th place , you bet hes gonna show up for all the races. If each region had one race a month that was a regional points race, with the lowest score of the year dropped, its guaranteed that attendance would increase, and roars membership would skyrocket(more profit). Appoint a person to handle each district, designating a race schedule, and keeping tally on scores(this is not hard in excel). And establish a better set of rules for each class. Some classes, like WGT will be 'spec' while others will be more open.

On another note, Roar reminds me of dealing with the scca. Anybody in the automotive racing industry knows that scca is all about politics and kissing butt, new ideas are often frowned upon, and any action/decision takes about 6 months.
smracer31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:34 PM   #105
Tech Elite

I actually think that Nationals would be like the Runoffs...take top 3-5 in each region in each class to qualify for nationals...then have practice/qualifying Sunday-Thursday and then Friday-Sunday run all the mains.

11 classes x Top 5 in points per class is 55

55 x 10 regions...550 racers...