R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes

Old 06-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #121
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I recently picked up a 3racing f109 and would like to run it in our local club. We run outdoor on a banked asphalt tr-oval (summer) and indoor on carpet oval with foam tires (winter).

What tire/rim combinations would be best for the outdoor track?? The track can get warm & slick on warm summer days and tends to cool quickly, at least it did for our last night race.

I have never run f1 before I picked up the car, so any tire/rim information would be helpful.
Tracy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #122
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

F1 hards for the rear. In cooler weather F3 Softs for front, medium for warmer weather. Same for carpet, but if you use foams, the stock foams rule.
texastc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #123
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Can somebody clarify the mod for Tamiya foam rims with Pit tires ? Saw a few posts saying the sidewall of the tire was tearing and now I see where it's suggested to sand down the sharp inner and outer edge of the foam wheels. This part doesn't appear in the tutorials I've seen on TQ's site or online. I'm guessing that we simply round off those edges while still leaving as much of the flat sidwall section for gluing the tire to. Yes?
Is the 571/572 (possibly 577) combo still the best choice for a unprepared(no traction compound) parking lot asphalt track ?
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #124
Tech Adept

With the Shimizu f1 rubber what is the difference between the r1 & r3 compounds?? Is one better than the other??
Old 06-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #125
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy B View Post
With the Shimizu f1 rubber what is the difference between the r1 & r3 compounds?? Is one better than the other??
From Pit Shimizu English website http://www.pit-shimizu.com/index_pag...h/index_e.html:
1 Series Tires:
It uses on a usual asphalt track and the special pavement road. Especially, high grip power gets on the road where the use of the traction

Translated:
For use with prepared asphalt surface, and provides more traction when using traction compund.

3 Series Tires:The above two type tires are easy to pick up dust and rubber dust of tires, and, it does not get good grip power. For those track, this tire can get hight grip power without traction.

Translated:
The 3 series tires does not pick up a lot of tire dusts or gums compared to the 1 series tires. If the racing surface is dusty or has the tendency to pick up tire dust on the 1 series tires, use the 3 series tires instead. 3 series tires also works well without using traction compound.

In my own testing:
1 series tires are great for outdoor and 3 series for indoor. In terms of grip level, 1 series grips better than 3 series under the same perfect running condition, i.e., not dusty and tire dust accumulation.
eComet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #126
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by eComet View Post
From Pit Shimizu English website http://www.pit-shimizu.com/index_pag...h/index_e.html:
1 Series Tires:
It uses on a usual asphalt track and the special pavement road. Especially, high grip power gets on the road where the use of the traction

Translated:
For use with prepared asphalt surface, and provides more traction when using traction compund.

3 Series Tires:The above two type tires are easy to pick up dust and rubber dust of tires, and, it does not get good grip power. For those track, this tire can get hight grip power without traction.

Translated:
The 3 series tires does not pick up a lot of tire dusts or gums compared to the 1 series tires. If the racing surface is dusty or has the tendency to pick up tire dust on the 1 series tires, use the 3 series tires instead. 3 series tires also works well without using traction compound.

In my own testing:
1 series tires are great for outdoor and 3 series for indoor. In terms of grip level, 1 series grips better than 3 series under the same perfect running condition, i.e., not dusty and tire dust accumulation.
Now I'm confused. If this is the case then on our unprepped (just blown off )parking lot track the 3 series tires would be a better choice than the 571/572 combo. Anybody else racing on parking lot tracks where no tire compound is allowed?
Old 06-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #127
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
Now I'm confused. If this is the case then on our unprepped (just blown off )parking lot track the 3 series tires would be a better choice than the 571/572 combo. Anybody else racing on parking lot tracks where no tire compound is allowed?
The best way is to prepare 2 sets of front tires, F1-S (571) and F3-S (574) and test back to back. Normally the F1-S (571) would work, but if the car is oversteering, then switch to F3-S (574) to dial out a bit of frontend grip.

What I'e found out is, in general, the 1 series tires work better outdoor and the 3 series work better indoor.

The rear everyone pretty much stay with R1-H.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #128
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by eComet View Post
The best way is to prepare 2 sets of front tires, F1-S (571) and F3-S (574) and test back to back. Normally the F1-S (571) would work, but if the car is oversteering, then switch to F3-S (574) to dial out a bit of frontend grip.

What I'e found out is, in general, the 1 series tires work better outdoor and the 3 series work better indoor.

The rear everyone pretty much stay with R1-H.
Much appreciated !! Any comment on my Foam wheel question ?
Old 06-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #129
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
Much appreciated !! Any comment on my Foam wheel question ?
Yes, rounding the edge of the foam rim does help.

Also, some of us are running the rubber rim by removing the outer ridges on the inner oand outer side of the rim. The inner groove serves as a solid stopper and reinforcement to prevent the tire from collapsing and folding under heavy load, usually in high grip condition.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #130
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

571/572 is all I run on my F104, anywhere.
If I go to a different front like the 577 mediums, all I get is push everywhere except where I really need it which is exiting the corners. If the rear is loose, fix it as much as possible with a super light feeling rear end setup and heavy parts in the rear. Steel axle, counterweight and heavy pivot. Sauce if allowed with Buggy Grip or Tire Tweak and clean em between runs.
Sidewall tearing is minimized by rounding the edges on the rim and the 572 tires have the best grip and the most durable sidewall of all Pit tires.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #131
Tech Elite

Thanks Gents, That really helps. Almost ready to rock with my F1R and the budget is tight. Trying to minimize mistakes in buying. Next stop...TQ's online shop.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #132
Tech Adept

Just ordered some Shimizu tires and Ride Wheels from TQ RC Racing to get me started. I ordered a set of front Soft (f1), front medium (f1), front soft (f3), front medium (f3), and rear medium (r3).

What is the best glue to use for gluing the tire to the Ride Wheels?? Will standard super glue work?? CA glue??
Old 06-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #133
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy B View Post
Just ordered some Shimizu tires and Ride Wheels from TQ RC Racing to get me started. I ordered a set of front Soft (f1), front medium (f1), front soft (f3), front medium (f3), and rear medium (r3).

What is the best glue to use for gluing the tire to the Ride Wheels?? Will standard super glue work?? CA glue??
Which car are you running that you are gonna use Ride wheels with Pit tires?
Just curious.
It's cool having the AKA or similar CA tire glues so you can use the fine tubing to get the glue exactly where you want it in tiny amounts. Can get that at TQ too. I have also used Super Glue and Loctite CA from Home Depot with good results.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:03 AM   #134
Tech Adept

F N CUDA -- I'm running my 3 Racing F109 with the Ride wheels and Pit tires. Thanks for the glue advice, very helpful.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #135
Tech Adept

My Shimizu tires and Ride rims came today from TQ RC.

I know I'll have to glue the tires to the rims, but how do I do that??
The tires came with foam inserts, must I glue that as well??

This is my first time gluing tires to rims, since my Legend car uses BSR foams and capped tires, I had no need to glue tires.

It would be much appreciated if anyone could offer this newbie some advice.