R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes

Old 05-25-2011, 09:17 AM   #16
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Since I've only used Tamiya rubber on my 104, could someone explain the differences between the compounds? Why is there a R1 soft and a R3 soft for the rear? I understand the R3 medium and R2 for carpet, but the other ones, what gives? Same for the front. Overlapping compounds?

BTW, I'll be putting 103 wheels and tires on my 104 Pro, so if you have any additional insight I'd appreciate it.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:33 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D. View Post
Since I've only used Tamiya rubber on my 104, could someone explain the differences between the compounds? Why is there a R1 soft and a R3 soft for the rear? I understand the R3 medium and R2 for carpet, but the other ones, what gives? Same for the front. Overlapping compounds?

BTW, I'll be putting 103 wheels and tires on my 104 Pro, so if you have any additional insight I'd appreciate it.
Here is the description from Shimizu Racing:

The F1R1 and the F3R3 compound cannot compare, as raw materials of
rubber is directly different. It is necessary to use it properly according to the course.

F3R3 : Carpet and Rough conditions.
R2: Carpet and Oil Surface
F1R1 : Most asphalt road and the special pavement road

F3R3 and F1R1 : At our racing field, we recommend to use F3R3 for carpet and rough conditions. Perhaps, the basic field confiditon between japan and states are different. In addition, we heard US users use high torque/power brushless motor. As the result, tires are heat-up on the such field. To avoid heat-up, we recoomend to put thin inserts.

I tested F1R1 compound on carpet, F1R1 is also working great getting least buildups from the carpet.
http://www.tqrcracing.com
[email protected]
spring71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:37 AM   #18
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfoot View Post
My standard set up for the last year on my 104 has been Shimizu 0577 fronts and 0575 rears... using soft Tamiya front springs... This gives me a very easy to drive but pushy car...

I'm now trying out a medium compound front tire ( Shimizu 0573 ) to gain more steering ... I know I can be quicker if I can make these medium fronts work... I tried 3 different front springs... Associated .020 , .022 and .024... The .022 seemed to work the best for me...

I'm already getting faster lap times, but I'm having to stay on top of the car... I just want to mellow out the nervousness of the front end... I will try to lubricate the front pins a little more...

If anybody else is using this tire combo ( 0573 fronts, 0575 rears ) and want to share some info ...... please .....
Dude, my Force India was pretty hooked-up at Camarillo with 0573 Fr and long tamiya black springs. Ride height 4.5 mm Fr and Rr. Screw in the T-plate. Fiberglass chassis and uncut upper brace, I tried cut brace and traction rolled on the bump going into the straight. Also, Taffert mentioned mounting rear shimzus backward because sidewalls tear-up way too much. Here's what I did. Won't be able to test until ROAR race.
Attached Thumbnails
RIDE & SHIMIZU F1 RUBBER TIRES-2011-05-29_23-28-40_423.jpg  
R90Slash6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:08 AM   #19
Tech Regular

i have been running 104 tamiya hard front with shimizu r3s rear on ashpelt.tried the shimz medium front and found it understeered badly so went back to the tamiya front. the shimz rear i experience the sidewall splitting badly after 15-20 minutes runtime.
i take it the ride tires can only be glued to ride rims?

Eagle Racing GRT FRD. Tamiya F103GT. Tamiya Blackfoot............ORIGINAL
kneedeeppow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I am looking at getting some other tires. I am currently running Tamiya rear soft(54199) and the front kit tires(51399). I am run mostly on asphalt parking lots, or concrete. I am happy with my cars setup but I am experiencing under steer. I was looking at the Shimizu tires and am not sure which ones I should look at. I do not really want to order one of each and see what works. Should I only look at the F1R1 tires? Also if I understand it correctly the only wheels the Shimizu tires mount on are the Tamiya foam wheels(51378)?

Visit my Youtube channel for HD R/C videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/DHCross1
CR0SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:46 PM   #21
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR0SS View Post
I am looking at getting some other tires. I am currently running Tamiya rear soft(54199) and the front kit tires(51399). I am run mostly on asphalt parking lots, or concrete. I am happy with my cars setup but I am experiencing under steer. I was looking at the Shimizu tires and am not sure which ones I should look at. I do not really want to order one of each and see what works. Should I only look at the F1R1 tires? Also if I understand it correctly the only wheels the Shimizu tires mount on are the Tamiya foam wheels(51378)?
This is a speed secret, but try the shimizu 0573 fronts, 0575 rears with harder front springs like black. That setup gave me plenty of steering and rear still had good traction. I think shimzus should fit any F104 foam wheel.
R90Slash6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:30 AM   #22
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR0SS View Post
Also if I understand it correctly the only wheels the Shimizu tires mount on are the Tamiya foam wheels(51378)?
Shimizu rubber tyres will also fit on the Tamiya rubber rims (51398 or 54201) with a few minutes of modification. The Tamiya rims have two raised ridges on the outer edge to form a groove for the Tamiya tyres. Remove the outer ridge on each side of the rim with a sharp hobby knife. What is left of the outer ridges after cutting off can be made smooth with a dremmel. You are then left with the inner ridge to add extra support to the Shimizu tyre when you glue to the rim. The foam insert is better supported with the rubber rims as it fits in between the remaining ridges.
oldnwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:43 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeeppow View Post
i have been running 104 tamiya hard front with shimizu r3s rear on ashpelt.tried the shimz medium front and found it understeered badly so went back to the tamiya front. the shimz rear i experience the sidewall splitting badly after 15-20 minutes runtime.
i take it the ride tires can only be glued to ride rims?
As I know, Ride F104 tires only fit on Ride rims.

Has anybody tried glue on other rims ?
[email protected]
Old 06-04-2011, 03:34 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Smile

Shimizu F103 tires fit on Ride F103 Rims and other standard size F103 rubber rims.

Shimizu F103 Rubber.

Ride F103/F109 Wheels.

FYI, Thanks.
[email protected]

Last edited by spring71; 08-28-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:32 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Went and drove some laps tonight with my new Shimizu tires. I decide to do some comparisons to my Tamiya tires. I was running the Shimizu F1 soft and R1 medium and the Tamiya front kit rear soft. I ran in ten lap segments with lap times around 22 seconds. I did three ten lap segments with each set of tires. With the Tamiya tires I was about a half second a lap slower on my fastest laps. Overall time to complete 10 laps the Tamiya tires were about 6-10 seconds slower.

Feel wise the Tamiya tires made the track feel like it was still dusty. The Shimizus felt to have more grip overall. I was running in a parking lot that was dusty and I did a quick sweep before I started running. I had also done quite few laps before I started to compare tires to get a racing line somewhat cleaned off.

Visit my Youtube channel for HD R/C videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/DHCross1
CR0SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Default F3-S + R3-S | F3 + R3-S | F3 + R3

Tested out a new combination at the 5th round at Ultimate F1 Series in Surf City.

The original F3 and R3-S provided the car with tons of rear grip but almost taking out any steering from the car. Upon arrival, I tried F3-S and R3-S and still, the F3-S is too grippy and made the car oversteer upon corner entry. Finally, I thought the R3 might be able to dial down the understeering problem of the F3 and I put it on. Overall, the handling is a lot better, more steering. I would say the car handles more neutral. However, the R3 tires does not provide as much grip as the R3-S, thus my overall lap times are slower and the acceleration is also slower out of the corner. I did my three runs consistently for 39 laps while most of other drivers has 40 or more.

Although I like how the medium combination makes the car handle more neutral, I would still prefer a front tire somewhere between F3 and F3-S while the rear stays at the grippy R3-S.

To summarize:
1. F3-S + R3-S = Oversteer when entering turn
2. F3 + R3-S = Understeer everywhere (I can even use heavy brake to slow the car down for the turn)
3. F3 + R3 = More neutral but not quite as quick due to lower rear traction
eComet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

What would you recommend as a good combination for CRC carpet for 21.5 brushless on an f100 all aroung? r2 or f3r3?
Old 06-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikcaffine View Post
What would you recommend as a good combination for CRC carpet for 21.5 brushless on an f100 all aroung? r2 or f3r3?
It depends on your car setup.

If it's first, try Shimizu R1 Soft rear and F1 Medium or F3 Medium Front. That compination also works for the asphalt.

Thanks.
[email protected]
Old 06-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikcaffine View Post
As far as I know, based on the explanation from Pit Shimizu, the 1 series is for carpet and well-prepared surface, while the 3 series is for unprepared and dustry surface.
eComet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #30
Tech Adept

i see different thickness glues out there. would viscosity help the glue set better?
freakyfreakyflo is offline   Reply With Quote