R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-23-2004, 08:11 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Harlow-

Running only stock right now, do I need to buy the shaper or can I just use the serrator in a .300 and .285 size for stock motor comm and get what I need which is a serration on the brush and the brush being closer to the comm size so I don't have to toss in new brushes every couple of runs.

Also, if the comm is .288 should the .285 serrator be used or the .300 serrator used?
Old 09-23-2004, 08:17 PM   #17
Company Representative

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Harlow: Now that is customer service.

"I'll refund your purchase price plus $4.00 for your return shipping cost."

YGM!
Tres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 09:19 PM   #18
Tech Initiate

BigDog, If you donít plan on re-shaping any brushes then just get the serrator. Personally, I prefer well seated FullFace brushes. They are so easy to deal with. You can cut a diagonal slot or drill a hole that will last till the brush wears out. Between races you can pull the brush out of the hood and just finger roll a FullFace bit up against it to clean it up. Not inside and not on the shaft. Just the bit in your fingers. Takes about a second or two. Gives you a nice fresh face but not enough to throw the seat out. I used to clean my brushes with 400 grit paper wrapped around a ľĒ wood dowel. If you get the serrator you can re-serrate them till they are too short to run. One benefit I do think serrations have is they probably run cooler as they have that gap between the serrations for air to flow through.

Ah, what size? Well, if you use the .285 bit on the .288 comm then you will have a perfect seat pretty quick. For reference a standard piece of printer paper is .004. Since we are talking diameter then you have .003 total or .0015 differences on each side. I know the rule is always bigger but 15/10,000 isnít much. Then you have to look at your track and type of race. Oval racing is pretty much flat out from the get go and you want all you can get from the start so you would want the .285 bit and probably run it in for few seconds. Offroad and onroad are different. Whether your first in the first corner has more to do with traction and driving ability than it does with brute power. Use the .300 bit on the .288 comm and run it in for a few seconds until it seats on about 2/3ís of the face of the brush. You will start the race with less comm/brush overlap thus using less battery while the field is spreading out. Then as the race continues the brushes will seat further and increase the brush/comm overlap, thus increasing the current draw and power. I canít take credit for that little tid bit of strategy. Big Jim mentioned that when discussing our bit sizes on his forum.
Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 10:05 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well I don't have a full set yet, but I do have the basic set(still waiting harlow!! HINT HINT!!).

I do use them on team motors sometimes and some customer motors.....I plan on using them more as my company gets in full production.

I will also be offering them for sale on my site in the future.....like I said before, they are well made and easy to use....

Later EddieO
Old 10-08-2004, 04:28 AM   #20
KoE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to KoE

got the set from rc4less and they work great i can cut the comm "use" to just racing instead of both breaking-in and racing
Old 10-08-2004, 08:49 AM   #21
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by raving-monkey
anyone got a link to infomation/pictures about this tool?
Sorry i did not see this thread sooner but anyone who wants this product in the UK can get it from here http://www.modeltech.co.uk/

Not got it myself yet as i have just moved house and not raced for a while but i have been told they work very well indeed.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:22 PM   #22
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Weekend, you got PM.
Jon Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 11:37 AM   #23
Tech Master

Has anyone tried thier comm sleves yet I just recieved mine in the mail and was wondering if anyone has tried them yet.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:13 PM   #24
Tech Initiate

Speedie, I believe you were going to adapt your hobby vise for the installation. That's a really good idea. Just remember, you have to have pressure on the CommSleeves as you solder them to the original comm. Not a lot of pressure, just snug. The solder that is holding the three new plates together is going to melt when you start attaching them. It will re-harden when you rotate it to solder the next plate but it has to be held in place while it is in the melted state. Email me if you have any questions. Send me some picks of you adapted hobby vise and I'll send you some free sleeves.

Harlow
Old 11-10-2004, 07:24 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I use the full face bits all the time running mod TC. I can get 10 or more runs from one set of 769 brushes in my 8x2 Kr motors. I use the serrator bits on the rare occasion I run stock. Also have the bushing/bearing seating/alignment tool and it works great.
Stealth_RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 08:40 AM   #26
Tech Adept

Default hood alignment

harlow, will this help in making brush alignment much easier?
can it take the place of aligning the hoods individually? i tried your product last saturday and until now im still amazed at how this product really helps, specially during stock handout races
Mr. Shims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 08:42 AM   #27
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shims
harlow, will this help in making brush alignment much easier?
can it take the place of aligning the hoods individually? i tried your product last saturday and until now im still amazed at how this product really helps, specially during stock handout races
was talking about the brush serrator by the way
Mr. Shims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:05 AM   #28
Tech Initiate

Shims. You can use the Full Face bits to show brush hood alignment. When a brush is installed that has a larger radius than the bit then the bit will scratch the brush where it hits first. This will show you the hood alignment. The hoods still have to be aligned, all it will do is act as an indicator. After re-aligning you can mark the brush with a felt pen and try it again.

http://fussybrush.com/images/Brush%2...gn%20-%201.jpg
Old 12-01-2005, 12:56 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to crazymechmow

well I've got one shaper and the shaft. bought it from a friend who really didn't like it after buying it. I'm totally sold on it. I think it works great now I just need to get the rest of them to complete the set. Thanks a lot it's a great tool.
crazymechmow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:17 AM   #30
Tech Elite

I started using the Full Monty setup two weeks ago, and the proof is in the pudding. I've confirmed everything that EddieO and Harlow have said above in my own experience at The Dyno Lab and on the track.

They particularly make life easier when tuning/dynoing motors as well as on race day.

Great product!
Un-sponsored Shoutout: NexusRacing.com
*** 301 Raceway is my home away from Home ***
teamgp is offline   Reply With Quote