R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #31
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

So which bodies should we expect to see in 225mm ????
MICHAEL BROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:16 PM   #32
Tech Fanatic

No matter what 225mm bodies that ABC offer, you will be able to use all the HPI 225mm wheelbase bodies, as well as more of the Tamiya 225mm bodies, such as the Alfa GTA.

I hope someone develops rear suspension arms that can be flipped so as to make the standard chassis and the new Exotek chassis be able to fit 225mm bodies too. That is how HPI does it with the Cup Racer, I think. I just purchased the new Exotek chassis for the Goose, and it is beautiful! I would love to be able to fit the 225mm bodies like the Tamiya Alfa and the HPI BMW 2002 to the car. So, someone please develop some new rear arms, quick!!!
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:18 PM   #33
Tech Fanatic

I did some research on the HPI Cup Racer and it's rear arms that can be flipped/inverted to change the wheelbase from 210mm to 225mm. That system should work fine on the ABC Genetic, as it is 4wd and has a very similar layout to the Cup Racer.

However, with regards to the ABC Goose, which is rear wheel drive with a full rear mount motor, that system may not work.(the motor gets in the way) It may require an interchangeable rear hub that can be reversed in order to change the wheelbase. That in conjunction with different rear arms should make it possible to change the wheelbase on the Goose.

I hope someone from ABC Hobby or maybe Exotek is reading this and will look into it.
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #34
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to akura2 Send a message via Yahoo to akura2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppabalan View Post
this mini?
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I still remember this Jimmy , one step for man... one small step..

If I am on the right time zone,, THAT SHOW IS TONIGHT!!!!!!
Funny.. yes..THAT mini

I hope you guys got to see it....

it comes on again tomorrow night at 730 and 1030pm on Speed
akura2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:15 AM   #35
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

A question regarding the Grid. As the kit comes it that the lowest ride height that can be achieved? I assume you put spacers in to raise the ride height but what about lowering it? Why I ask is that if we are going to race the Grid at the TITC event in Thailand we will be using 60D style tires which have a bigger diameter which lifts the ride height. Any solution?
Old 08-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #36
Tech Rookie

Default ride height

I would put washers between the strut/shock tower mount and the transmission, thus raising the springs and shocks while lowering the chassis.Then adjust camber to liking, haven't tried it so you can be the guinea pig.
pigcilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #37
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to akura2 Send a message via Yahoo to akura2

Off topic... can anyone tell me where I can get a copy of RC World or RC Magazine (Japanese magazines) in Southern California?.... all of the Asahiya Bookstores that used to carry it no longer do (subscription only)... and I'm running out of places to try... Patrick?... anybody?

Thanks

back on topic....
akura2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:47 PM   #38
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

check with Barnes and Noble bookstore. They carry a few magazines from other countries.
brettweir78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:26 PM   #39
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

pigcilla,

Not sure if you got a response to the fitment of the Speed Passion Citrix fitment, but there are two possible options:

1. Use the motor spacer from 3Racing which will push the motor rearwards and hopefully not touch the motor plate, or

2. Get a custom made replacement part like we have had done here in Australia for our Grids, so we can start practicing for TITC in thailand next year.

I will post a picture later. Really keen on the 225mm Grid chassis as on the large RC Addict track in thailand the longer chassis will be alot more stable.

Rules for TITC

Sp 17.5 V2 BL Motor with Citrix ESC. Max pinion 31 tooth.

Ride inch up 60 Tyres front and rear.

Tub chassis and select Box type mini bodies.

We are testing the tyres and experimenting with spacers for under the struts front and rear and also spacing the steering to achive a low ride height. Just unsure if the alloy shocks will like being stetched to far.

BTW,

I ran this car last night with our Hobbywing BL system with the 21 tooth pinion and the car is very good. I was also useing the standard friction dampers, however on a bumpy track the car bounced to much. I did use a shim in the rear spring to raise the ride height and this was better. Car was very good to drive, excellent corner speed, stable and was easy to transition from corner to corner.

I did find that rebuilding the oil gear diff with a heavy oil, gave the car better acceleration out of the corners. I am looking forward to more testing. I ran the car using a ABC Swift body shell.

Later,

Calvin.

Last edited by caltek1; 10-15-2011 at 12:15 AM.
caltek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:34 AM   #40
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

Where can I find an online retailer/hobby shop for Grid parts and upgrades willing to ship to Canada?
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #41
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
Where can I find an online retailer/hobby shop for Grid parts and upgrades willing to ship to Canada?
http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ..._id=4&s_sort=3
www.abchobbyusa.com
Follow us in Twitter and Facebook : Abc Hobby USA
ppabalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #42
Tech Champion

Just an update on the Grid. We are loving the little car and the way it performs.

It biggest failing ? .... do not buy the optional alloy shocks . They are complete rubbish and do not work whatsoever. They simply leak and refuse to work properly. You are better off just using the damper tubes supplied with the kit.

I posted this on the ABC Facebook page but ABC decided to delete the post. Obviously they do not like racers being informed that certain items are not worth buying.

If anyone thinks the shocks are worth having I have 4 pairs for sale that are unused
Old 11-11-2011, 05:12 PM   #43
Tech Elite

@cannon

Are the pistons on the alloy shocks just nail heads or do they have holes? Are they big enough to even have holes? Lol
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #44
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydewynder View Post
@cannon

Are the pistons on the alloy shocks just nail heads or do they have holes? Are they big enough to even have holes? Lol
They are pistons but dont have holes

Once the shock has been compressed a few times you can hear that it has dragged air into the shock and doesn't work properly.

The damper tubes are far better to use as long as you drill a small hole in them to allow any compressed air to escape

The car itself is a great car ... good design and easy to work on .. it is just the shock design that is a shocker
Old 11-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #45
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
They are pistons but dont have holes

Once the shock has been compressed a few times you can hear that it has dragged air into the shock and doesn't work properly.

The damper tubes are far better to use as long as you drill a small hole in them to allow any compressed air to escape

The car itself is a great car ... good design and easy to work on .. it is just the shock design that is a shocker
Thanks for the insight.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote