Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
On-road noob looking for a starter car. >

On-road noob looking for a starter car.

On-road noob looking for a starter car.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:57 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Default On-road noob looking for a starter car.

Hey Guys. I'm a off-road veteran racer, but a total newb when it comes to on-road. I'm looking into getting an on-road racer for a GT class (17.5 or 21.5). What's a good car to get my feet wet with? I'm looking for a low cost starter car. Just something to test the waters with to see if I like it or not. I like realistic cars, so GT looks interesting. I was looking at the TC4 and the Tamiya TA-05. Are these decent starter cars? Lipo ready? I have a bunch of 2s lipos, so I would like to be able to use them.

I've already invested the bulk of my money into 1/8th scale off-road, so I can't break the bank with on-road.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:03 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

I've got a nice Xray 007

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...phere-esc.html

Its very easy to set up and handles just has good as the newer Xray's.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

you could find a corally phi on here pretty cheapThey are great and with the right parts on them, are practically indestructable, the tamiya cars seem to break even on and easy impact, i ran one for two years.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

My TA-05 ver.II R has been very good to me. I'm a noobie racing VTA, it handles great and I haven't broken anything (and yes it takes some HARD hits)

* results may very!

Old 05-03-2011, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blade329
Hey Guys. I'm a off-road veteran racer, but a total newb when it comes to on-road. I'm looking into getting an on-road racer for a GT class (17.5 or 21.5). What's a good car to get my feet wet with? I'm looking for a low cost starter car. Just something to test the waters with to see if I like it or not. I like realistic cars, so GT looks interesting. I was looking at the TC4 and the Tamiya TA-05. Are these decent starter cars? Lipo ready? I have a bunch of 2s lipos, so I would like to be able to use them.

I've already invested the bulk of my money into 1/8th scale off-road, so I can't break the bank with on-road.
Either car should be great. Others might include the Losi XXX-S, Tamiya TB03. The TC4 is plentiful and since it's still available as a RTR, you should be able to find or get parts at many shops. If you don't mind ordering parts online from shops or Ebay, I can definitely vouch for the XXX-S. The TA05 is a good car but not in it's basic form. Needs just a few little things to put it at the level of a out of the box TC4 or xxx-s.
Really wouldn't suggest cars like the Corally. Nice stuff but expensive parts and upgrades. Maybe once you've made the decision to stay with onroad or not.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Either car should be great. Others might include the Losi XXX-S, Tamiya TB03. The TC4 is plentiful and since it's still available as a RTR, you should be able to find or get parts at many shops. If you don't mind ordering parts online from shops or Ebay, I can definitely vouch for the XXX-S. The TA05 is a good car but not in it's basic form. Needs just a few little things to put it at the level of a out of the box TC4 or xxx-s.
Really wouldn't suggest cars like the Corally. Nice stuff but expensive parts and upgrades. Maybe once you've made the decision to stay with onroad or not.
Have to respectfully disagree about the Corally. They really don't need upgrades to race and for a slower class like VTA or RCGT they are fairly indestructible. Replacement parts are a little higher priced but also very high quality. Plus people practically give them away used. Not to knock Associated's product line since I'm currently racing a TC-6, 12R5 and SC10 but the TC4 was never highly regarded and RTR would likely require a full electronics upgrade to even be legal in any mainstream class. XXX-s is a great car and another major step above a TC4. Drove one of the graphite chassis versions and was amazed how nicely it worked.