Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss >

Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss

Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss

Old 03-24-2009, 08:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
The GTB will only run forward/brake in brushed mode.

Removing wires from the negative terminal of the brushed motor only reduces performance and no other wiring combination will yeild reversing capabilities.
That's correct, and the XBR that was being asked about is the same way, is it not?
Old 03-26-2009, 12:34 AM
piper48

Default Ballistic Motors

Hey Steve,

Does the new Novak Ballistic Motors accept the Novak heatsinks that Nexus Racing sells (part # NOV 5413, 5414, and 5415)?

Old 03-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The Ballistics are our new line of modified motors. We will first be introducing them in the 3.5 - 8.5 winds.

These motors will feature a redesigned rear end bell assembly that allows for easier timing adjustment than before and it also offers users the convenience of replaceable sensor harnesses... all in an innovative new package.

We are going to hold off on releasing other winds based on the ballistic due to the fact that many series around the country use our motors exclusively and we do not want to "force" people into feeling like they need to buy a new motor right away in order to continue competing in the series that they are currently running.
The Novak web site says that the Ballistic motor has a replaceable stator. They make replacement sound very easy: "By unscrewing the main screws, the motors’ solder tab and sensor assemblies can be easily removed to leave only the stator, which can be replaced with additional motor wind options." Aren't the solder tabs connected directly to the stator, like with solder? Wouldn't this mean that if you replace the stator and not the solder tabs, you have to unsolder the old stator and solder in the new one?

The replaceable stator feature might be another reason for not introducing the Ballistic series motors in ROAR spec winds like 13.5 and 17.5, no?
Old 03-29-2009, 01:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It about as close as you can get to the end of march- Is the Booster out yet?Since I've already been running my World Gt with the single cell and a reciever pack is there anything else I would have to do to install the booster?Will the booster give the motor more juice? I don't want to take out the reciever pack. Otherwise I guess it go to a different motor because a 13.5 with 4 cells is faster all around than a single cell with a 13.5.

Last edited by BullFrog; 03-29-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Steve - Ran a 6.5 this weekend in 4 wheel off-road with my GTB and my yellow wire on the motor would come off within the first minute of the race. Something went south as this combo along with the proper gearing has worked flawless for me in the past. I thought that maybe because our temps outside were in the 80's it was overheating so I geared 1 tooth lower, but same result. 1 minute into the run and it came off and the motor was really hot. Motor or Speedo?
Old 03-30-2009, 08:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Steve I am getting into TC again and I was wandering on which body to get. Think you could lemme know whats hot and whats good for Carpet racing, Track runs foams and Rubber, I may run rubber for the $$.

Josh

I will be running 19t or open mod.

Oh and one more thing, I will be running on a very flat carpet surface and there is alot of 180's which are almost chicanish. The carpet is ozite? Forget what he told me, and there isnt really a "line" in it yet. What shock oil/spring stiffness should I start at? How heavy/stiff should I go? I am running a MI2 so you can just gimme what you would start and I will convert it.

Josh

Last edited by JoshM20; 03-30-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:02 AM
The Evicerator

Sorry about the delay guys... been VERY busy lately!

Originally Posted by drperry
That's correct, and the XBR that was being asked about is the same way, is it not?
The XBR should be the same but it's been a little while since I played with brushed mode on an XBR

Originally Posted by piper48
Hey Steve,

Does the new Novak Ballistic Motors accept the Novak heatsinks that Nexus Racing sells (part # NOV 5413, 5414, and 5415)?
Yes, these heatsinks should fit the ballistic line of motors just fine.

Originally Posted by MarkBrown
The Novak web site says that the Ballistic motor has a replaceable stator. They make replacement sound very easy: "By unscrewing the main screws, the motors’ solder tab and sensor assemblies can be easily removed to leave only the stator, which can be replaced with additional motor wind options." Aren't the solder tabs connected directly to the stator, like with solder? Wouldn't this mean that if you replace the stator and not the solder tabs, you have to unsolder the old stator and solder in the new one?

The replaceable stator feature might be another reason for not introducing the Ballistic series motors in ROAR spec winds like 13.5 and 17.5, no?
Regards to the tabs being replaceable... you're correct...that's a mistake on the website... I'll have to make note of it and have them correct it...thanks for the heads up!

Originally Posted by BullFrog
It about as close as you can get to the end of march- Is the Booster out yet?Since I've already been running my World Gt with the single cell and a reciever pack is there anything else I would have to do to install the booster?Will the booster give the motor more juice? I don't want to take out the reciever pack. Otherwise I guess it go to a different motor because a 13.5 with 4 cells is faster all around than a single cell with a 13.5.
We are working as fast as we can over here...they will be out "soon"

Originally Posted by Tony Vega
Steve - Ran a 6.5 this weekend in 4 wheel off-road with my GTB and my yellow wire on the motor would come off within the first minute of the race. Something went south as this combo along with the proper gearing has worked flawless for me in the past. I thought that maybe because our temps outside were in the 80's it was overheating so I geared 1 tooth lower, but same result. 1 minute into the run and it came off and the motor was really hot. Motor or Speedo?
Could really be either... I would take the motor out of the vehicle (unsoldered from ESC) and give it a once over... ensure that the rotor spins freely... if it feels "gummy" then there's a short inside the motor somewhere.

You can always open up the front of the motor as well and give it a visual inspection... if anything looks slightly burnt/melted...that's not a good sign.

If the motor is ok, there might be a problem with the ESC... if you can't track it down to one or the other send both in and we will take a look at them!

Originally Posted by JoshM20
Steve I am getting into TC again and I was wandering on which body to get. Think you could lemme know whats hot and whats good for Carpet racing, Track runs foams and Rubber, I may run rubber for the $$.

Josh

I will be running 19t or open mod.

Oh and one more thing, I will be running on a very flat carpet surface and there is alot of 180's which are almost chicanish. The carpet is ozite? Forget what he told me, and there isnt really a "line" in it yet. What shock oil/spring stiffness should I start at? How heavy/stiff should I go? I am running a MI2 so you can just gimme what you would start and I will convert it.

Josh
Josh,

On bodies for rubber tire racing on carpet most people seem to be running the mazda speed 6 ... I personally like the LTC-R a bit more right now...but both are good to have in your box of tricks

I don't know the MI2 car very well... but I will assume that it's geomtry is relatively similar to other cars...usually you will want to run around a 17.5 lb spring in the front...and a softer spring in the rear... anywhere from 17 - 15 depending on geometry and particular handling.

Oil wise is tough to guage as well because I am not farmilliar with their shocks... if you start out with 50 weight oil you should be ok.

Last edited by Steve Weiss; 03-31-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Steve- Do you and some of the other Socal guys plan on coming up for the warm up race? I know the tire hasn't been announced yet but the new premount Billy has is what we have always run there and it works at other tracks as well.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

What's up scuba how you been buddy?
Old 03-31-2009, 10:12 AM
The Evicerator

Hey Ertrachtor Factor!

Things have been good! Just SUPER busy with work and school and everything!

How's life in the South? Gonna make it out for Reedy?
Old 03-31-2009, 10:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

BRRRRrrrrrr....got cold in here....
Old 03-31-2009, 10:23 AM
The Evicerator

Originally Posted by STLNLST
Steve- Do you and some of the other Socal guys plan on coming up for the warm up race? I know the tire hasn't been announced yet but the new premount Billy has is what we have always run there and it works at other tracks as well.

Clint,

I am trying to get a travel buddy to go up with me...but I am having a hard time finding anyone... and it's sort of cost-prohibitive to go alone factoring in gas and hotel...

If I can find a travel buddy to split gas/hotel with or find someone who's willing to let me crash at their place up there it'd make the whole trip more feasible
Old 03-31-2009, 11:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hey Ertrachtor Factor!

Things have been good! Just SUPER busy with work and school and everything!

How's life in the South? Gonna make it out for Reedy?
yeah i plan on comin i miss cali so i hope i can make it out there
Old 04-12-2009, 12:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default OK now...

I had to go clear to page six to find this thread....Don't let it happen again or it's flying monkey time.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Steve, did Toni im/e-mail/or call you yet? If so then she know's what type body style works there. We run Mazda 6 in Fl./rubber tires on asphalt. Lynn has to paint her up something to run as she wants to race the Reedy this year. Please let me know so I can get her taken care of. Thanks Tony.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.