R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-11-2005, 08:22 PM   #1381
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

But isn't it better to already be off work?
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:40 PM   #1382
The Evicerator

Now I'm bored though

*twiddles his thumbs*
Old 07-11-2005, 09:09 PM   #1383
Tech Elite

Steve, I'm sure you have some experiece with stock racing at national events. I have a question:

How important is it to have a car that freespins for ages? My car only freespins for like 5 seconds compared to some that spin for up to 30 seconds. Will I be at a disadvantage if my tranny isn't binding, but can freespin like some others? Or is it just bench racing b/c the motor cogging effect eliminates it anyway?

thanks in advance
chad
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:50 PM   #1384
The Evicerator

Chad,

It's important that your drivetrain be free for stock racing, just as it should be for any form of racing actually, but I have never thought that my car needed to "freespin for ages"... most of my more competitive stock racing has been done with the XXXS sedan, and I found that more often than not the laptimes were better with a moderately loose belt instead of a fully loose "spin for ages" belt... that is because a belt with the right amount of tension on it will not bind up the bearings, but it will also keep the teeth of the belt engaged in the pullies so that the belt does not skip.

In the world of belts, too loose can be a very bad thing.

Also, like you mentioned, your motor generates alot of braking effect ... enough that it will overcome whatever "advantage" a 30 second long spinning drive train might have.

So, my advice to you is to clean out your bearings, re-oil them with the light bearing oil of your choice and set your belt tension at least tight enough that you do not hear your belt skipping under very heavy accelleration.

If you really have a wild hair up somewhere you can spend the big $$$ on ceramic bearings...but for most people under most circumstances this is just a bench racing type of thing... (bearings do make a difference but there are usually 10 other things that people need to worry about before they need to spend money on new bearings)

Hope this helps you
Old 07-11-2005, 11:10 PM   #1385
Tech Elite

Thanks Steve, that pretty much clears up everything I asked about. Just one more question:

Is there a performance difference between 48 and 64 pitch gears? I've switched back and forth, and the 64p gears are sooooooo quite with my Yokomo, and when I go back to 48, it is the loudest car on the track.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:16 PM   #1386
The Evicerator

Well, I always run 64 pitch.... another nice thing about it is that it allows you finer gearing adjustments than in 48 pitch...something that is very important in getting the most power out of your motor is correct gearing
Old 07-12-2005, 09:33 AM   #1387
Tech Master

Well, fine, Plug away!
Old 07-12-2005, 09:52 AM   #1388
The Evicerator

huh?
Old 07-12-2005, 09:56 AM   #1389
Tech Adept

01010100 01010100 01010100

I am very curious to hear about Steve's take on ants and losing passengers.
Erik Shauver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:14 PM   #1390
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Shauver
01010100 01010100 01010100

I am very curious to hear about Steve's take on ants and losing passengers.
This thread falls fast if it needed that from not having a post in 4 minutes.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:30 PM   #1391
The Evicerator

Losing passengers is not such a bad thing as long as the both of you can laugh about it afterwards... and you get forgiven... and I think I have been forgiven?

Ants on the other hand should never be forgiven for ravaging my pantry and causing me to go to war all weekend long...

They felt the wrath of my Ant Traps and my Ant Gel though...that's for sure!!
Old 07-12-2005, 12:53 PM   #1392
Tech Master

Default Ants?

Now this is funny! I actually did a case study on Argentine Ants in collage. The Argentine ants originally came from, Argentina. With DNA test, the Argentine ants that are spread throughout southern cali are all from the same original colony.

Best way to remove the trails is to use chalk or sand Steve. Ants leave a PH trail to find their way back to their new found food. From what I can remember, they like protein in the winter months and sugars in the summer months. I think or was it the other way around.

As bad as they are pest, they are a very dynamic insect.

For some reason, they like to bring their dead bodies into my room and stack them in the windows. It boggles my mind that they actually do take care of their dead. Maybe you could help me to understand this Steve??
KO PROPO Staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 01:00 PM   #1393
Tech Master

Do you have any experiences with Termites??

KPS is got it though, dynamic creatures for sure.....

I'm a big fan of Ant Sprays, traps are good for maintence and prevention.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:11 PM   #1394
The Evicerator

Motor Quench works as a good contact killer I found!

I will have to find myself some chalk being as that I don't want to rub sand all over my kitchen and living room ceilings/walls unless I absolutely have to...

They were into chocolates and gobstoppers, so I would say that they were in their sugar cycle

Would you like me to trap a specimen for DNA testing Robert?
Old 07-12-2005, 01:28 PM   #1395
Tech Master

Charlie- The only experience with termites is that they killed all my fruit trees in the back yard. Hate those things. They look like blind maggets.

Steve- I knew that I could use my motor quench for something else! Have you tried sunlight and a magnifying glass. I know its a little hard to do inside the house, but it's cool the way they turn white with in seconds. Crispy ants anyone? I thought that I got the cycle mixed up. CSI days are over for me. Chemicals are to harsh. Could cause cancer.
KO PROPO Staff is offline   Reply With Quote