R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-25-2009, 08:28 AM   #6946
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 4,142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittjv View Post
Hi Steve,
Could you share with us what the timing range is on the new spec ballistic motors? Is it 20 - 40 like on the SS series?

Thanks!
The Ballistic Spec motors have infinately adjustable timing... we do not recommend using the full range of adjustability though. There is a label on the motor with an adjustment range that is recommended.

It's approximately 10-45/50 degrees if I remember correctly... I can double check it next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkoitat View Post
Wassup Steve,
Was cool meeting you at Pound It Paints Race. A group of us are heading up to WCRC tomorrow, I was going to try the Jaco Blues and MM Sweep 36's too. Since I got my Xray's quite a few drivers switched to the 009, awsome piece of machinery. I have'nt ran there and was wondering how the traction is at WCRC? I'm sure it's HIGH bite and was wondering what set-up would work in comparison to other set-ups on Xrayonline.com? I'm sure once I drive on the track I can make the proper adjustments, but would be nice to have a basic set-up to start from.

Thank You - Jaws
Hey Jaws,

I haven't run at WCRC as much as I would like, but I am honing in on a good setup... it's not too far off so far from my standard setup that I run with the exception of a stiffer front spring.

I will be there all day today so feel free to hit me up with any questions you may have!
__________________
Steve Weiss
TEAM ASSOCIATED -- REEDY -- SANWA -- PROTOFORM -- 1UP Racing -- ActivRC -- P1 BRAND -- TEAM KINWALD -- TEAM STEVE INTERNATIONAL
Steve Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:26 AM   #6947
Tech Addict
 
bigkoitat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sun Diego
Posts: 608
Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)
Default

Cool Thanks you Steve, see you this afternoon
__________________
JAWS
TRF-416WE & 416-X / DHW / TEAMRCR.NET
bigkoitat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:44 PM   #6948
Tech Master
 
Danny-b23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Posts: 1,336
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

What problem with a motor would cause the fets to blow up on a GTB right when you turned it on?
Thanks,

Danny
__________________
RC America|XRAY|ORCA|Motiv|EA Motorsports
Danny Buck
WCICS Rep - Round 1, Saskatoon, SK
Danny-b23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:20 AM   #6949
Tech Master
 
JamesArluck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,233
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JamesArluck
Default

Hey Steve,

Have the Ballistic Spec motors been sent to ROAR for approval yet?

I saw your car running at West Coast R/C on Sat. night and it was very impressive. What gearing and timing were you running on your 13.5?

-James
JamesArluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:31 AM   #6950
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 4,142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny-b23 View Post
What problem with a motor would cause the fets to blow up on a GTB right when you turned it on?
Thanks,

Danny
Danny,

If the motor was completely shorted out and you tried to apply throttle over and over again I could see it possibly causing a problem with the ESC fets like that, but that's what the Locked Rotor protection is for.

There is a chance that the system was simply just run too hot in a previous run and that caused some sort of damage... or reverse voltage input to the ESC can cause damage like that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesArluck View Post
Hey Steve,

Have the Ballistic Spec motors been sent to ROAR for approval yet?

I saw your car running at West Coast R/C on Sat. night and it was very impressive. What gearing and timing were you running on your 13.5?

-James
Hey James,

We sent them to ROAR quite a bit ago... still waiting to hear from them??

Thanks for the compliments!

We were fooling around with gearing and timing most of the night, but I ran between 5.56 and 5.76 with the timing set to the maximum on the label.

The gearing and timing are of course always subjective and it really depends on what ESC you are using.

I assume you're using an SPX or Tekin... something with a ton of timing advance... in which case I'd start out much more conservatively with the motor's static timing. I would start out with 5.5 or so and try advancing the timing a half a tick mark at a time until you get to the right balance between speed and temperature.

My motor was coming off around 150-155 most of the night and we recommend keeping motor temps under 160 for the best performance and motor life.
__________________
Steve Weiss
TEAM ASSOCIATED -- REEDY -- SANWA -- PROTOFORM -- 1UP Racing -- ActivRC -- P1 BRAND -- TEAM KINWALD -- TEAM STEVE INTERNATIONAL
Steve Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #6951
Tech Elite
 
trdsupra88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southwest
Posts: 2,531
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to trdsupra88
Default

Hey steve, I have a non-electronics question, Ive seen you answer some similar questions, Ive been struggling with my car with Sorex tires and recently tried a set of Jacos and turned the handling around. Should I avoid Sorex's even though everyone else at my track is running them? I am running a TC5, rubber on asphault, stock motor on a small track. Thanks for any advice, Joe.
__________________
I cut my own hair ☆
trdsupra88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:05 PM   #6952
Tech Master
 
Danny-b23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Posts: 1,336
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss View Post
If the motor was completely shorted out and you tried to apply throttle over and over again I could see it possibly causing a problem with the ESC fets like that, but that's what the Locked Rotor protection is for.
The thing is, throttle was never applied.

I took my car out of my case, turned it on, had steering but no drive.
Then I rebound it with my radio, same thing, steering but no drive. I then wondered if the ESC was even getting power so I turned it on it's side to check for the lights, turned the power on, and there was no lights, a high pitched whine, the positive lead on the capacitor burnt out, and a bit of smoke came from the speed control.

I decided to try it again later to see if it was just a freak accident. More smoke, more high pitched whine. Also tried the same motor that I had on when I blew this one up on another, just to see if it was the motor that caused it. The same thing happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss View Post
There is a chance that the system was simply just run too hot in a previous run and that caused some sort of damage... or reverse voltage input to the ESC can cause damage like that as well.
I never ran a mod motor on these ESC's and they never got above 115F. I also run deans plugs so no chance of mixing up plugs.
__________________
RC America|XRAY|ORCA|Motiv|EA Motorsports
Danny Buck
WCICS Rep - Round 1, Saskatoon, SK
Danny-b23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:29 PM   #6953
Tech Master
 
HB Moose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Surf City, USA
Posts: 1,080
Default

Steve. Are you going to be the Novak rep at IIC this year? Anyone else from team Orange going?
__________________
Bruce "Moose" Riedinger
HB Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:38 PM   #6954
Tech Regular
 
chrisfrom619's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Diego California
Posts: 294
Send a message via Yahoo to chrisfrom619
Default

Hi Steve,

I know I've been asking a lot of question for my friends. This question is about the lipo cut off for the XL-5 blue case, Is this problem have been resolved yet? Can I install the lipo cut off power wires directly to the XL-5 power wires and would this work?
__________________
#1 Sponsor: Wifey
Hpi baja, traxxas e-maxx,slash, AE TC5R, RC18R,SC10, Thunder Tiger EB4 S2, and Futaba 4pk

DHW Raceway San Diego CA.
Novice Class
chrisfrom619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:46 AM   #6955
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 4,142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdsupra88 View Post
Hey steve, I have a non-electronics question, Ive seen you answer some similar questions, Ive been struggling with my car with Sorex tires and recently tried a set of Jacos and turned the handling around. Should I avoid Sorex's even though everyone else at my track is running them? I am running a TC5, rubber on asphault, stock motor on a small track. Thanks for any advice, Joe.
Well at the end of the day you need to do what you feel most comfortable with. There are some tracks were Jacos will be the better tire, and some tracks where sorex will be the better tires.

If you have exhausted your setup knowledge with trying to get the sorex tires to work then just run the Jacos if they seem to work for you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny-b23 View Post
The thing is, throttle was never applied.

I took my car out of my case, turned it on, had steering but no drive.
Then I rebound it with my radio, same thing, steering but no drive. I then wondered if the ESC was even getting power so I turned it on it's side to check for the lights, turned the power on, and there was no lights, a high pitched whine, the positive lead on the capacitor burnt out, and a bit of smoke came from the speed control.

I decided to try it again later to see if it was just a freak accident. More smoke, more high pitched whine. Also tried the same motor that I had on when I blew this one up on another, just to see if it was the motor that caused it. The same thing happened.


I never ran a mod motor on these ESC's and they never got above 115F. I also run deans plugs so no chance of mixing up plugs.
I'm sorry to hear about that...was the battery ever plugged into the ESC with the power off for a significant period of time...? Sometimes damage can occur when the battery is left plugged in and the steering servo gets moved around inadvertantly (for instance if someone turns the wheels by hand or if it gets knocked around in the back of a car during transport)

I would definately get that sent in to us to look at!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB Moose View Post
Steve. Are you going to be the Novak rep at IIC this year? Anyone else from team Orange going?
Hey Moose,

I'm really not sure what we're doing about IIC this year... still waiting to hear that myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfrom619 View Post
Hi Steve,

I know I've been asking a lot of question for my friends. This question is about the lipo cut off for the XL-5 blue case, Is this problem have been resolved yet? Can I install the lipo cut off power wires directly to the XL-5 power wires and would this work?
Hi Chris,

We have not found a solution for this problem yet. It seems that the XL-5 is not compatible with our unit (which we have not experienced any problems with other brand's ESCs)
__________________
Steve Weiss
TEAM ASSOCIATED -- REEDY -- SANWA -- PROTOFORM -- 1UP Racing -- ActivRC -- P1 BRAND -- TEAM KINWALD -- TEAM STEVE INTERNATIONAL
Steve Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:29 AM   #6956
Tech Lord
 
Hebiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 12,919
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Race for a Cause...

Steve,

will you be able to attend the Race for a Cause charity race at West Coast R/C on Saturday, Oct. 10th?

Link for more info is in my signature.

We'll have a mod class

- Chris
__________________
Hebiki Design Works
Custom R/C Vinyl Graphics & Apparel: Your gear, your way!
Web Design - Web Development - Logo Design - Graphic Design
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:45 AM   #6957
Tech Master
 
HB Moose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Surf City, USA
Posts: 1,080
Default

Steve, what is this thread doing on page 7. You're being ignored.
__________________
Bruce "Moose" Riedinger
HB Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:07 PM   #6958
Tech Elite
 
bkspeedo's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fort Fun, CO
Posts: 3,139
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Steve,

I search this thread and could not find an answer to this question.

What is the static timing on the SS BL motors?
__________________
Brent Klingforth
Sponsors: Awesomatix USA ~ Roche USA ~ ORCA ~ AVID Bearings ~ R1 Wurks
TQ Wire ~ Montech ~ WTF ~ BSR Racing Tires ~ 2mm Design ~ Helix Designs
5280 Raceway
MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 19-22nd 2018 @ www.milehighindoorchamps.com
bkspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:13 PM   #6959
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 4,142
Default

The timing we set the motors to is approximately 30 degrees.
__________________
Steve Weiss
TEAM ASSOCIATED -- REEDY -- SANWA -- PROTOFORM -- 1UP Racing -- ActivRC -- P1 BRAND -- TEAM KINWALD -- TEAM STEVE INTERNATIONAL
Steve Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:07 PM   #6960
Tech Master
 
tfrahm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,026
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to tfrahm
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB Moose View Post
Steve, what is this thread doing on page 7. You're being ignored.
He was busy for a while over on the 'Ballistic Spec' thread... LOVE the new motors!
__________________
"If you cannot win, make the one ahead of you break the record."
Biff Racing Team #420 (Ah... The "good old days"...)
The local indoor Offroad Track: The RC Race Barn
TLR22-3.0, TLR22T-2.0, TLR22SCT-1.0
tfrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
STUFF FOR SALE """"LQQK """" EZRC R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 03-13-2007 07:20 PM
"""NEW""" Collari .21 3 port buggy motor lc21-b3 goneRVing R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 7 12-20-2006 06:25 PM
STUFF FOR SALE """"LQQK """" EZRC R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 11 10-22-2006 09:49 PM
""" XRAY FK05 """ excellent cond/super clean/stock evostyle R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 9 06-29-2006 10:04 PM
Let's send Steve Weiss (Evicerator) to Cleveland!!! TeamButter Electric On-Road 8 11-02-2004 11:32 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:39 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net