R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-13-2008, 09:12 PM   #6481
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_B View Post
Steve,

Why does the rain in Spain fall mainly on the plains?
Because the planes and trains move too fast to be hit by the rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta_man View Post
Tried asking via email but I must get caught in the spam filter because I never get answers, so maybe you can help.

I have a Super Sport Plus ESC that is toasted. If I send it in for non-warranty service (replacement with a RMF XBR), what is the minimum that needs to be included? I assume I can take off the wires (so I can use them for something else). Can I also take off the heat sink? I have a use for it on another ESC.

I've been told the heat sink can't be removed without damaging the speed control, but since it is toast anyway, that doesn't make any difference to me. The question is: does it make a difference to Novak?

Second question: Is there any difference in the replacement cost for a 17.5 if I have the older, non-ribbed can, vs the ribbed can? And does it matter that the shaft is broken on the rotor?
Sorry to hear about the problems in getting through to us.

As far as what we need for the non-warranty exchange, I don't see a problem with taking the wires or the heatsink off the ESC.

Also, regarding the 17.5 replacement I don't think that'd be a problem either as long as it is the "SS" version and not the EX version.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:06 PM   #6482
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 151 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss View Post
Also, regarding the 17.5 replacement I don't think that'd be a problem either as long as it is the "SS" version and not the EX version.
That was sort of my question. The current SS version has ribbed endbells. This one has smooth endbells and a purple center ring. It has a 3/16" front bearing. I didn't know there even was an "EX" version of the 17.5.
ta_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:11 PM   #6483
The Evicerator

You should be ok... I don't recall there being a 17.5 EX
Old 09-14-2008, 01:57 AM   #6484
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Steve, Can you confirm if on the new havoc esc when you say set it up with 100% epa on radio as the instructions say, then turn down brake epa to say 50
%.
Will the brakes still work if they are double tapped on the second brake motion.

As both my xbr and gtb both did not work at all on the second press of brakes unless i had it on 100% which sucked . And i didnt like it. (in the one slowing done motion from top speed)

I wanted to make sure before i get one when they are available.
LOSI123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:31 PM   #6485
The Evicerator

Losi,

The brakes are going to be very simliar to the XBR and GTB.

The problem you are experiencing is related to your radio more than the ESC.

Sometimes when you turn the brake EPA pretty far down it causes the neutral point that the radio outputs to wander and change... this then confuses the ESC because it looks for the neutral signal before it allows you to go into reverse.

I recommend you turn down your brake EPA to the point you want it then change your neutral trim on your transmitter so that your ESC registers it as neutral.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:59 PM   #6486
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

its just it doesnt do it on any other esc's that i have or have had.

Also i am using a brand new 3pkS with futaba Fasst 2.4ghz.

i dont see how turning down the brake epa is effecting the nuetral trim.

also i had all the novak esc's in fwd/brake setting only, (no reverse)
LOSI123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:02 AM   #6487
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)

Hi Steve,

If I've enable the lipo cut-off on GTB, what is the lowest voltage will it cut-off at?
What kind of symptom will it give prior cut-off?

Thanks.
-KilleR- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:55 AM   #6488
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Are you racing at BCR this sat?
Old 09-16-2008, 09:19 AM   #6489
The Evicerator

Losi,

Like I mentioned every time I have seen this it is related to the transmitter's output shifting when the endpoints are changed drastically. The ESC's input is crystal controlled which means it's VERY accurate and there is nothing inside the ESC that could make it spontaneously shift the throttle response like what you are mentioning.

The ESC simply does what it's told from the transmitter/reciever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSI123 View Post
its just it doesnt do it on any other esc's that i have or have had.

Also i am using a brand new 3pkS with futaba Fasst 2.4ghz.

i dont see how turning down the brake epa is effecting the nuetral trim.

also i had all the novak esc's in fwd/brake setting only, (no reverse)

The Lipo Cut off should kick in at 6.25 V. Prior to cutting out completely you should get blips interrupting your throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KilleR- View Post
Hi Steve,

If I've enable the lipo cut-off on GTB, what is the lowest voltage will it cut-off at?
What kind of symptom will it give prior cut-off?

Thanks.
I am planning on it... I Guess no one is running mod so I guess I need to get my 10.5 stuff ready?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
Are you racing at BCR this sat?
Old 09-16-2008, 10:35 AM   #6490
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)

Thanks for the fast response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss View Post
The Lipo Cut off should kick in at 6.25 V. Prior to cutting out completely you should get blips interrupting your throttle.
-KilleR- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:00 PM   #6491
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Earth Day!!!!
Sean Cochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:11 PM   #6492
The Evicerator

Hahaha

Did Bob share that one with you ?
Old 09-16-2008, 05:42 PM   #6493
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yep!
Sean Cochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:54 AM   #6494
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgaert View Post
I had a series of conversations with Novak when the Slash first came out. First, they couldn't find their XL-5 ESC for testing. Two weeks later finally got one and were able to replicate my problem (the problem of about 8 of my racers, too). They told me they would be doing a hardware revision and would send us a couple to test. No contact. I finally called Novak about a week ago... the story is now "it doesn't work with the Traxxas blue ESC and we're not fixing it." The tech cited some Internet "press release" as though I should have already known.

Hi Steve, by this post in the Traxxas Slash thread, is it safe to assume that Novak has given up on the Novak Smart Stop/Traxxas XL-5 (blue) compatability issue?

Just wondering, thanks.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:35 PM   #6495
The Evicerator

I don't know if the project has been completely scrapped, but for the time being other projects are taking precidence so we are not currently allocating time towards a fix for that particular problem.

If a fix does become available we will post the information to our website and we do have contact information for a number of customers whom we will contact if/when a fix becomes available.