R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-20-2008, 12:04 PM   #6376
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss View Post
It's possible that your rotor might not be as strong as his... you can either try swapping it with a new 12.3 mm rotor or upgrade to the 13.0 mm rotor...but if you go to the 13.0 mm rotor you have to gear up two teeth on your pinion.

I'm not sure... if you can find me the internal drive ratio of your car I can figure it out from there...but more than likely you're going to have to gear up on the pinion some more.
tha internal ratio for the Pro 2 i think its 2.1 , you will probably need a 88 spur with a 51 pinion to be in the 3.6 fdr range
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:54 PM   #6377
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to bigb11

yes it is 2.1, hope I can find pinions that big.
PHAT QUAD RACING, HPI/HOTBODIES, RATZAS, DARKSIDE MOTOR SPORTS, PARMA, Brown Engineering, ROBITRONICS, RC AMERICA, PANTHER, TEKIN, TEAM HOLY ROLLER, Rev Tech/Epic, RC AFRICA, HITEC www.browneng.org, DE wheels
bigb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:58 PM   #6378
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb11 View Post
yes it is 2.1, hope I can find pinions that big.
look here!! http://www.precisionracingsystems.com/catalog/4
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:56 AM   #6379
Tech Adept

Hi Steve,
i have send you email regarding GTB SS. Please check. Allso i have question about Novak 3.5T motor and timing. As i don't have working GTB now, i have to use LRP TC speedo and what timing and gearing you recomend for that combo(5 cell)? I have to set it up corect before race. Mainly i use Team Orion Vortex motors, but i have to have some backup for race.
Thanx
tomislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:01 AM   #6380
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default novak

Steve,

Would I see a difference in output for a 13.5 pro motor using a Super Sport speedy to a GTB ? I would think the GTB has lower internal resistance.
Cant find the specs for the SS re: internal resistance.

Also would double-up the wires to the motor will this help achieving lowest power loss?

In gear ratios why do I see significant difference between eg 4.7 to 4.75 to 4.8 such small increments didn't think it be so noticeable on the track.

Thanks

Last edited by yeahyeah; 07-22-2008 at 03:27 AM.
yeahyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:53 AM   #6381
The Evicerator

Hi Yeahyeah,

I feel that you will get better performance out of the GTB than you will with the Super Sport ESC. The GTB has more programability, better transistors, better (lower) resistance.

In regards to feeling the differences between those minute gearing changes, it's like anything in RC... a small change on a small car is a big change!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahyeah View Post
Steve,

Would I see a difference in output for a 13.5 pro motor using a Super Sport speedy to a GTB ? I would think the GTB has lower internal resistance.
Cant find the specs for the SS re: internal resistance.

Also would double-up the wires to the motor will this help achieving lowest power loss?

In gear ratios why do I see significant difference between eg 4.7 to 4.75 to 4.8 such small increments didn't think it be so noticeable on the track.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2008, 08:09 PM   #6382
Tech Fanatic

Hi Steve,

At our local track (small tight carpet track) a few of us here are all running Novak 17.5's in our TC's and at the end of our 5 minute runs, we are getting our motor temps to ~180*-190*. I know this has to be killing the magnet strength getting the motor temps this hot. Our gearing is between 49mmpr and 52mmpr. I am running the 12.3mm sintered rotor so would switching to the 13mm rotor help with bringing the temps down a bit?
RobS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:43 AM   #6383
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking Smooter exceleraion!

Hi STeve,
What can I do to smooth out the speed of the 10.5 motor coming out and into the corners. Just a ton of torque for me and I dont want to adjust the controller if I don't have too. Maybe the speed control? Is there something I can change? I'm on profile#1 right now with all the defalt settings.
Thanks in advance!
Max
maxepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:15 PM   #6384
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Radio choices before I buy

In regards to Radios, I don't know if this is your expertise but it never hurts to ask.

Personal choices here, how the radio feels, what I really need etc. I am leaning towards the Spectrum DX3R, the price is right and it seems that its simply to use and light. The Futaba is very cool, a lot of functions that I'm not sure I'll ever use? I like the backlit display and the unit is first class, but so is the price. The Airtronics is very popular among a lot of racers, but again will I ever need the functions that are available to me on this radio. It also seems to be heavier them the other two.
I still consider myself to be a "novice" but the hopes are is that I keep on getting better, with a new car and practice, I may be able to play with the big boys, with that said I want to make sure I have the radio needed to take me to the next level. If we were talking about a $100 part, I would not be having this discussion. But with the high cost of each, I want to be as sure as possible before I make my decision.

Thanks
Mark G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:31 PM   #6385
The Evicerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
Hi Steve,

At our local track (small tight carpet track) a few of us here are all running Novak 17.5's in our TC's and at the end of our 5 minute runs, we are getting our motor temps to ~180*-190*. I know this has to be killing the magnet strength getting the motor temps this hot. Our gearing is between 49mmpr and 52mmpr. I am running the 12.3mm sintered rotor so would switching to the 13mm rotor help with bringing the temps down a bit?
Well, the 13 mm rotor generally isn't recommended with the "slower" motors because of the reduction in RPM that it causes... generally you're going to have to gear up about 2 teeth on the pinion to get the same straight line speed that you would get with your "normal" gearing with the 12.3 mm rotor.

As far as the heating goes, I think it will help with the heating... but before you go "overboard" and basically have to start all over with gearing with the 13 mm rotor... I would recommend simply trying a new 12.3 mm rotor and seeing if that does the trick for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxepower View Post
Hi STeve,
What can I do to smooth out the speed of the 10.5 motor coming out and into the corners. Just a ton of torque for me and I dont want to adjust the controller if I don't have too. Maybe the speed control? Is there something I can change? I'm on profile#1 right now with all the defalt settings.
Thanks in advance!
Max
I would recommend that you make sure that your minimum drive is set to 1% ...some of the older GTBs came set at 2 or 3%...that small amount makes a big difference...

Also, if your radio allows for it, you can put some negative exponential in your throttle channel to smooth it out a bit as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark G. View Post
In regards to Radios, I don't know if this is your expertise but it never hurts to ask.

Personal choices here, how the radio feels, what I really need etc. I am leaning towards the Spectrum DX3R, the price is right and it seems that its simply to use and light. The Futaba is very cool, a lot of functions that I'm not sure I'll ever use? I like the backlit display and the unit is first class, but so is the price. The Airtronics is very popular among a lot of racers, but again will I ever need the functions that are available to me on this radio. It also seems to be heavier them the other two.
I still consider myself to be a "novice" but the hopes are is that I keep on getting better, with a new car and practice, I may be able to play with the big boys, with that said I want to make sure I have the radio needed to take me to the next level. If we were talking about a $100 part, I would not be having this discussion. But with the high cost of each, I want to be as sure as possible before I make my decision.

Thanks
Generally speaking, I do not recommend skimping on a radio It's really the first "link in the chain" connecting you to your vehicle... and if the first link in the chain is "bad"...then how can you expect everything else to work well...?

I think that you'll find that alot of the high end radios from futaba, airtronics, and KO all have alot of features ... some of which you may never use... but some you may very well find very usefull.

The newer spectrum radio seems to function fairly well... but to me it feels kind of funny...and that's a hard thing to get over when you're used to your radio feeling a certain way.

I would really recommend that you go to your local track and see what people have... ask them if you can just hold the radio...see how comfortable it is to you...from there, go with what you really feel that your budget will allow... some features won't be used...but sometimes you don't know what you're missing until you've tried it.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-30-2008, 07:22 AM   #6386
Tech Adept

Steve,

What GTB 4 cell minimum drive setting to many of your team guys run for 13.5/17.5 1/12 scale racing. Last year I ran it all the way up at 5.

Thanks
Jeremy Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:26 AM   #6387
The Evicerator

Everyone is a little different, but there are always a number of "stock" guys that like to run their minimum drive up higher to give more initial snap. It's not uncommon for them to ask to just have it turned all the way up to 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Otis View Post
Steve,

What GTB 4 cell minimum drive setting to many of your team guys run for 13.5/17.5 1/12 scale racing. Last year I ran it all the way up at 5.

Thanks
Old 07-30-2008, 08:56 AM   #6388
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss View Post
Everyone is a little different, but there are always a number of "stock" guys that like to run their minimum drive up higher to give more initial snap. It's not uncommon for them to ask to just have it turned all the way up to 5.
What up Steve???? How's things down there bro?
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:29 PM   #6389
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to bigb11

steve, I like that 17.5 so much, I got another one for my losi type-r. I am using 128 spur and a 44 pinion. does this sound about right?
PHAT QUAD RACING, HPI/HOTBODIES, RATZAS, DARKSIDE MOTOR SPORTS, PARMA, Brown Engineering, ROBITRONICS, RC AMERICA, PANTHER, TEKIN, TEAM HOLY ROLLER, Rev Tech/Epic, RC AFRICA, HITEC www.browneng.org, DE wheels
bigb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:36 AM   #6390
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Gday Steve

I was running my XBR and 17.5 motor the other day and every race (4) I would thermal on the last lap. I checked the motor temp and it was only around the 45c mark, could it be my speedy thermalling? I was running an FDR of 3.4 which is a 58mm rollout and racing at night in the cold with an LRP 40mm fan strapped to it. I hadnt reset the speedy since changing motors either and my batteries werent dumping. I had initially thought LIPO cutoff but the battery voltage was fine after each race, the car just seemed to stop dead in its tracks. One of the marshalls did mention the speedy resetting itself as well. Hope you can help as I'm baffled.

Thanks
Adrian