R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-10-2008, 04:48 PM   #6346
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 4,142
Default

We have tested the software on Win2000 but there are problems with it's USB preformance that prevent propper connection/data transfers from the sentry to the PC.

As far as the accellerometer goes, the x and y arrows are for reference... you can place them in your car however you'd like... if you want x to be front to back, place it that way... if you want y to be front to back, place it that way instead.

It really is more so that you can easily tell which is which.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzbob View Post
Hey Steve, got a question about the Sentry, I know the software is only mentioned as compatible with Windows XP & Vista, but has it been tried with any others, like Windows 2000? Reason I ask is becuase my laptop has Win2000, & while I believe I can upgrade it to XP, I'd prefer not to(given how much of a resource hog XP & especially Vista can be). Also, about mounting the Sentry in a car, am I right in thinking that the the "X" & its arrow(the markings on the casing denoting the accelerometers I mean) should point straight forward? Appreciate any help you can give...
__________________
Steve Weiss
TEAM ASSOCIATED -- REEDY -- SANWA -- PROTOFORM -- 1UP Racing -- ActivRC -- P1 BRAND -- TEAM KINWALD -- TEAM STEVE INTERNATIONAL
Steve Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:23 PM   #6347
Super Moderator
 
Grizzbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sand Springs, OK
Posts: 3,063
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syber Serulean View Post
XP isnt much of a resource hog in truth. Vista is lol. 512ram can run respectable on XP but HORRID on vista. Regardless, i guess XP and vista > 2000 as far as resources go.
Thing is, my laptop only has 256MB of RAM(part of why I didn't wanna install XP if I could help it), but it's sounding like I may have to anyway. Thanks Steve...
__________________
Bob Seay
Tamiya TRF417, TA05v.2, TRF211XM, M-05ver.2R, XRAY X12, Associated B5m Factory Lite

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:58 AM   #6348
Tech Elite
 
Syber Serulean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Riverside
Posts: 3,656
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzbob View Post
Thing is, my laptop only has 256MB of RAM(part of why I didn't wanna install XP if I could help it), but it's sounding like I may have to anyway. Thanks Steve...
what kind of ram do you need? Maybe i can hook you up with a deal
Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:02 PM   #6349
Tech Elite
 
Chris08527's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: 732
Posts: 2,154
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

where do you guys start gearing with a 13.5 touring car
FDR???
__________________
"Hello How 'bout that ride in? I guess thats why they call it Sin City." Alan Garner~"I play the drums, I'm good as hell" Richie Rich
Chris08527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:13 PM   #6350
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 4,142
Default

Depends on the size of the track, but generally gearings are between 4.2 and 4.5
__________________
Steve Weiss
TEAM ASSOCIATED -- REEDY -- SANWA -- PROTOFORM -- 1UP Racing -- ActivRC -- P1 BRAND -- TEAM KINWALD -- TEAM STEVE INTERNATIONAL
Steve Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:17 AM   #6351
Tech Regular
 
kavadni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Perth, WA
Posts: 328
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Steve,

I am determined to stay with brushed for a while, and I just picked up a s/h GTX. Could you please enlighten me with a definition of Standard vs Drag braking and how they work.

The manual doesn't define it, and with the advent of brushless technology I am getting a little confuzed.

Kevin
kavadni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:45 AM   #6352
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Posts: 109
Default GTB SS Thermal problem?

Steve,
i have GTB SS ESC,team orion Vortex 3.5 motor all powered with 5 nimh 4600 factory matched cells. Geraing is 8.0, track is big, low to midium grip. Recomended gearing for big track by team orion for 5 cell is 7.8. I was allso using 4.5 vortex motor with 7.5 gearing without any problem. As speedo is new after about 10 runs I have first thermal problem when sticker(telling you directions how to mount fan) from fan was off and did block fan from spinning. ESC was 89C when thermaled. After that i have strange problem with ESC. As i drive for about 2-3 minutes ESC starts to cut off power from motor for a second, then you can drive for a secoond or two then los power again and it goes like that in circle. Lipo mode is off - i have duble check that!! Temperature of the motor is about 70-75C ESC was 56-62C, cells are 60-68C, air was 34C. As i have new high speed much more fan i have replace stock ESC fan and i did have time yestarday only to test it once with older batery and it was fine(at52C after 5 min), but not shure if will hold on high grip track and super high temperatures in Spain - Euros in Villa Real that i will race. As i dont have time to send ESC for factory check, can you give me advice. I was thinking to screw of cooler and to check termal grace status. I have high quality CPU grace that i can use. Thanks.
tomislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:11 AM   #6353
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 4,142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavadni View Post
Steve,

I am determined to stay with brushed for a while, and I just picked up a s/h GTX. Could you please enlighten me with a definition of Standard vs Drag braking and how they work.

The manual doesn't define it, and with the advent of brushless technology I am getting a little confuzed.

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

Drag brake is extra brake at neutral in addition to whatever the motor does "naturally"... Most of the time drag brake is not used with brushed motors... or if it is used, a rather small amount is used.

The other adjustment is the minimum brake adjustment. What this controls is the initial brake response when you first hit the push brake. The higher the %, the more aggressive it will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomislav View Post
Steve,
i have GTB SS ESC,team orion Vortex 3.5 motor all powered with 5 nimh 4600 factory matched cells. Geraing is 8.0, track is big, low to midium grip. Recomended gearing for big track by team orion for 5 cell is 7.8. I was allso using 4.5 vortex motor with 7.5 gearing without any problem. As speedo is new after about 10 runs I have first thermal problem when sticker(telling you directions how to mount fan) from fan was off and did block fan from spinning. ESC was 89C when thermaled. After that i have strange problem with ESC. As i drive for about 2-3 minutes ESC starts to cut off power from motor for a second, then you can drive for a secoond or two then los power again and it goes like that in circle. Lipo mode is off - i have duble check that!! Temperature of the motor is about 70-75C ESC was 56-62C, cells are 60-68C, air was 34C. As i have new high speed much more fan i have replace stock ESC fan and i did have time yestarday only to test it once with older batery and it was fine(at52C after 5 min), but not shure if will hold on high grip track and super high temperatures in Spain - Euros in Villa Real that i will race. As i dont have time to send ESC for factory check, can you give me advice. I was thinking to screw of cooler and to check termal grace status. I have high quality CPU grace that i can use. Thanks.
Tomislav,

I just replied to the email you sent me! I think you will be ok but check your email for ideas!
__________________
Steve Weiss
TEAM ASSOCIATED -- REEDY -- SANWA -- PROTOFORM -- 1UP Racing -- ActivRC -- P1 BRAND -- TEAM KINWALD -- TEAM STEVE INTERNATIONAL
Steve Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:34 PM   #6354
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,861
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Hey Steve, I have a few questions about the data logger.

First, can you use any combination of sensors you want or just certain ones? I would be interested in a set up with 2 rpm sensors (nitro), 1 analog temp and throttle position.

Second, is there any reason I couldn't use my own magnets for the rpm sensor? I am also a slot car racer so working with magnets is nothing new to me (I even have a zapper) and I just can't see a couple magnets glued to a flywheel staying put a 40,000 rpm. I could drill a couple holes in the flywheel and permanently install a couple small neo or cobalt mags.

Third, What is the sampling rate? RPM readings aren't much good to me if it has a really slow sampling rate.

And finally, any plans to make an exhaust gas temp sensor? I know I could put a sensor around the pipe but that won't give the accuracy I want. An actual probe to go into the manifold would be ideal. Maybe a small probe with a threaded body so all you would have to do is drill and tap a hole in the manifold.

Thanks.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:55 PM   #6355
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,208
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Hi steve
- are the brushless motor cans conductive?
- just wondering if there will be nasty short circuit if a solder wire tab was to accidentally come in contact with the motor can itself ?
__________________
YOKObori MOkei
wyl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:02 AM   #6356
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 4,142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Hey Steve, I have a few questions about the data logger.

First, can you use any combination of sensors you want or just certain ones? I would be interested in a set up with 2 rpm sensors (nitro), 1 analog temp and throttle position.

Second, is there any reason I couldn't use my own magnets for the rpm sensor? I am also a slot car racer so working with magnets is nothing new to me (I even have a zapper) and I just can't see a couple magnets glued to a flywheel staying put a 40,000 rpm. I could drill a couple holes in the flywheel and permanently install a couple small neo or cobalt mags.

Third, What is the sampling rate? RPM readings aren't much good to me if it has a really slow sampling rate.

And finally, any plans to make an exhaust gas temp sensor? I know I could put a sensor around the pipe but that won't give the accuracy I want. An actual probe to go into the manifold would be ideal. Maybe a small probe with a threaded body so all you would have to do is drill and tap a hole in the manifold.

Thanks.
You can use a number of different combinations, but the data logger can only use one RPM sensor at a time.

In reference to the magnets that you use, any type can be used, just two need to be used because one needs to be North, the other needs to be south.

The sampling rate is adjustable, but it is as fast as a sample every 0.1 seconds

In regards to the exhaust gas specific sensor we could look into offering one like what you have mentioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyl03 View Post
Hi steve
- are the brushless motor cans conductive?
- just wondering if there will be nasty short circuit if a solder wire tab was to accidentally come in contact with the motor can itself ?
The parts are all slightly conductive... I would advise to be very careful of any shorts...
__________________
Steve Weiss
TEAM ASSOCIATED -- REEDY -- SANWA -- PROTOFORM -- 1UP Racing -- ActivRC -- P1 BRAND -- TEAM KINWALD -- TEAM STEVE INTERNATIONAL
Steve Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:08 PM   #6357
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 649
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Steve,

Have you ever had a day like this?

http://www.theage.com.au/national/lu...0715-3fe6.html

You know, just walking along minding your own business and BAM! You get hit by a car (the idiot driver doesn't stop for 15 km by the way). So, they cut you out of the grill and rush you to the hospital where it turns out you don't have any broken bones or anything worse than some ruffled hair and some bruises.

The punchline is in the article... Sometimes you just can't make this stuff up.
Fred_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:43 PM   #6358
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 4,142
Default

Can't say that I've ever been hit by a car and dragged along for an extra 5 or 6 miles... but I've had my fair share of close calls that should have left me injured
__________________
Steve Weiss
TEAM ASSOCIATED -- REEDY -- SANWA -- PROTOFORM -- 1UP Racing -- ActivRC -- P1 BRAND -- TEAM KINWALD -- TEAM STEVE INTERNATIONAL
Steve Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:43 AM   #6359
Tech Elite
 
vazzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Posts: 2,719
Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Gday Steve

Will the XBR ESC handle an 8.5 sintered SS motor? I want to upgrade the bonded rotor motor I have but wanted to make sure the ESC wont thermal, also what FDR do you recommend for the 8.5SS using the XBR, I just dont want to have to upgrade my ESC thats all.

Cheers
Adrian
__________________
Gone riding, cya.........
vazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:25 AM   #6360
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 208
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default rules

Does anyone know if you could run a separate receiver pack in 1/10 onroad electric tourer under roar rules?
yeahyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
STUFF FOR SALE """"LQQK """" EZRC R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 03-13-2007 07:20 PM
"""NEW""" Collari .21 3 port buggy motor lc21-b3 goneRVing R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 7 12-20-2006 06:25 PM
STUFF FOR SALE """"LQQK """" EZRC R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 11 10-22-2006 09:49 PM
""" XRAY FK05 """ excellent cond/super clean/stock evostyle R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 9 06-29-2006 10:04 PM
Let's send Steve Weiss (Evicerator) to Cleveland!!! TeamButter Electric On-Road 8 11-02-2004 11:32 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:26 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net