R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-20-2008, 11:23 AM   #6301
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Sometimes when under heavy accelleration the voltage gets pulled down so far that it "fools" the smart stop into thinking that the battery voltage is too low... some smart stops tend to be more sensitive to this than others... if it keeps giving you problems send it on in to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchy View Post
Hi Steve. I installed the 2 cell lipo cutoff in my Slash and it seemed to cause the throttle to stutter when accelerating from zero. I know it's supposed to do that when the battery is low and the LED would come on. The battery was fully charged so the LED never came on.

I was only bench testing and didn't run the car outside to see if the condition would last beyond the first few moments the car is run, but is the stuttering upon start up normal? Thanks!
Old 06-20-2008, 11:59 AM   #6302
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

In this instance, however, would the light come on?
Old 06-20-2008, 01:37 PM   #6303
The Evicerator

I believe the blue LED should only come on when the cut off has occured... the "blips" are warnings.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:41 PM   #6304
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey All - FYI!

The 4th Annual Midwest Carpet On-Road Championships has been announced!

Hope you can make it to "The Plex"...!

http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...9&d=1213690177

-Todd
tbeardmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:04 AM   #6305
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Oh Weiss One...

I come before you (yet again) seeking wisdom.

I am being told that a 3-cell smart stop can work for 2-cell. I pulled the Smart Stop "manual" from the Novak site and don't see any referrence to making changes, only that the 3-cell begins it's "stop" routine at 9.375v...substantially higher than my 2-cell pack will ever produce.

Help me Mr. Wizzard...

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:31 AM   #6306
The Evicerator

Hi Scottrik,

You can only use the 3 cell smart stop for 3S packs... for 2S packs you need the 2 cell smart stop.

Hope this clears things up for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik View Post
Oh Weiss One...

I come before you (yet again) seeking wisdom.

I am being told that a 3-cell smart stop can work for 2-cell. I pulled the Smart Stop "manual" from the Novak site and don't see any referrence to making changes, only that the 3-cell begins it's "stop" routine at 9.375v...substantially higher than my 2-cell pack will ever produce.

Help me Mr. Wizzard...
Old 06-22-2008, 10:43 AM   #6307
Tech Champion

Excellent. That was what I was thinking after reading the instructions, but thanks much for the confirmation.

Scottrik

Old 06-23-2008, 12:46 PM   #6308
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss View Post
Sometimes when under heavy accelleration the voltage gets pulled down so far that it "fools" the smart stop into thinking that the battery voltage is too low... some smart stops tend to be more sensitive to this than others... if it keeps giving you problems send it on in to us.
I tried using the cutoff in a race this past weekend with some bad results. The stutter mode would kick in right away even with smooth acceleration. During the race it kinda made my ESC an on/off switch with either 100% throttle or nothing. The light never came on.

I took it home and ran some tests. It seems when the motor would sense any kind of resistance (from transmission etc.), the lipo cutoff would go into stutter mode. (This is with a fully charged 2 cell lipo with 2 cell cutoff). When I took the motor out of the transmission letting it spin freely, it would still do this occaissionally, but much, much less. After removing the lipo cutoff, everything was back to normal, throttle was smooth.

Do I have a defective unit?

Also, does it matter which way the light plug is connected? I noticed that the servo wire would have the pins facing out, but on the light connector, if I match red to red and black to black on the opposite side of the chip, the pins on the two wire connector would face the other way. Just wondering...
Old 06-23-2008, 01:11 PM   #6309
Tech Champion

This may seem obvious, and sorry if it is, but have you programmed your Smart Stop to your tranmitter? I can see how it would be easy to miss that step in the instructions and have problems.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:11 PM   #6310
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Steve, I was planning on purchasing a brushless motor for a slash but noticed the Traxxas Slash comes with a 550 can. Will the standard motors work O.K. with this truck or do I need to install an HV motor?
Old 06-23-2008, 03:45 PM   #6311
The Evicerator

Hi Francis,

We have not received a slash yet for testing... so I can't really say for sure what would work best in it yet.

I will see what we can do about getting one and then let you know!
Old 06-23-2008, 04:02 PM   #6312
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss View Post
Hi Francis,

We have not received a slash yet for testing... so I can't really say for sure what would work best in it yet.

I will see what we can do about getting one and then let you know!

Thanks Steve, I'll see you at the summer slam....
Old 06-23-2008, 04:22 PM   #6313
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik View Post
This may seem obvious, and sorry if it is, but have you programmed your Smart Stop to your tranmitter? I can see how it would be easy to miss that step in the instructions and have problems.
Yeah, I programmed the Smart Stop to the transmitter, and esc to the transmitter, multiple times. Same result.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:34 PM   #6314
The Evicerator

Stitchy,

It's hard to say what's going on with your smart stop...but you can send it in to us and we can check it out for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchy View Post
Yeah, I programmed the Smart Stop to the transmitter, and esc to the transmitter, multiple times. Same result.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:59 PM   #6315
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (99%+)

Francis,

Yes the 13.5 or 10.5 will fit in the Traxxas slash. I saw Orlando Sherman has already setup his with a 10.5.

The 550 motor will fit the same as the 540 , just a little longer.