R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-05-2008, 10:09 AM   #6046
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

OG RC 10T posted this on the ele off-road thread. ray3619 said to go ask Steve Weiss!

As I'm going to lipo soon, I'm wondering about this. I'm sure I should add this to my T4 because I have a older GTB. I read somewhere a lipo GTB is a six flash mine only has five.

Would adding another lipo cutoff hurt?

Thanks!

====

OG RC 10T post

I am running the Novak GTB and unless I un intentionally turned the built in Lipo cut off - Off, by mistake, it some how shut it self off.

That little mishap just cost me a $120, 6300mah lipo battery.

I was looking into adding the Novak smart stop lipo cut off to my buggy. I know the GTB has the built in cut off, but my thought is that an additional external lipo cut off shouldnt hurt, especially since the built in one already cost me my $120 lipo. Like I mentioned before it could have been turned off accidently, by user error.

What are your thoughts on doing this. Is it ok to run the external cut off with the built in turn off. It shouldnt hurt any thing in theroy but I am not 100% sure though.
RC10GT2-E, SC5M, RC10T2, Spec-R S2, FX10
tmail55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:00 PM   #6047
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Steve,

I have been using the GTB-Spread Spektrum for the past 4 months.
Really like it a lot, it's my 3rd novak after all.
It's usually powered by an orion 3200 lipo but lately, i've been using it with my nimh packs too (not all races allow lipos).

I noticed that the ESC glitched/hesitated when using the NIMH packs and in a number of occassions, totally shut down - i.e. stopped dead on the track. To get it to restart again, I had to switch it OFF then ON. Seemed to reset the ESC and everything was hunky dory again.
It was only happening with the NIMHs. With lipo, everything was fine (all other equipment remaining the same).

Initially, i thought the tight battery & GTB placement on my RB5 was causing some intermitten contact between the battery bars and GTB parts/wires, so I placed an inch high lexan separating the battery and GTB. in yesterday's race, it all went well until the Final. there was again glitching and the GTB totally shutdown in the very first lap of the race!

it couldn't have thermalled because it was only the 1st lap and i was using the same identical gearing the whole day without issues.
it was a newly-charged 4200 pack too.

do you have any thoughts/suggestions?

Set-up:
GTB Spread Spektrum with 13.5SS
- No fan (ambient temp 21C)

TX/RX: Spektrum system (futaba 3PJ)

Battery: Orion 3200 and Nimh 3700/3800/4200
Old 04-06-2008, 06:41 PM   #6048
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to tfrahm

Is your LIPO cutoff "ON"...?

NiMh cells can have a big voltage drop under certain conditions, triggering the LIPO cutoff...
Biff Racing Team #420 (Ah... The "good old days"...)
The local indoor Offroad Track: The RC Race Barn
TLR22-3.0, TLR22T-2.0, TLR22SCT-1.0
tfrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:53 PM   #6049
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

I don't think it would hurt anything by running an external lipo cut off... but I will have to check with one of the engineers tomorrow to make sure that it wouldn't cause any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmail55 View Post
OG RC 10T posted this on the ele off-road thread. ray3619 said to go ask Steve Weiss!

As I'm going to lipo soon, I'm wondering about this. I'm sure I should add this to my T4 because I have a older GTB. I read somewhere a lipo GTB is a six flash mine only has five.

Would adding another lipo cutoff hurt?

Thanks!

====

OG RC 10T post

I am running the Novak GTB and unless I un intentionally turned the built in Lipo cut off - Off, by mistake, it some how shut it self off.

That little mishap just cost me a $120, 6300mah lipo battery.

I was looking into adding the Novak smart stop lipo cut off to my buggy. I know the GTB has the built in cut off, but my thought is that an additional external lipo cut off shouldnt hurt, especially since the built in one already cost me my $120 lipo. Like I mentioned before it could have been turned off accidently, by user error.

What are your thoughts on doing this. Is it ok to run the external cut off with the built in turn off. It shouldnt hurt any thing in theroy but I am not 100% sure though.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:55 PM   #6050
The Evicerator

wyl03,

Like tfrahm mentioned it sounds like you have the lipo cut off function "on"... the lipo cut off function will start "blipping" the throttle and cut off the throttle completely once the voltage is at 6.25 V. NiMH cells generally do not hold their voltage like the lipo cells do...so they will very easily drop below 6.25V.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:24 AM   #6051
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss View Post
wyl03,

Like tfrahm mentioned it sounds like you have the lipo cut off function "on"... the lipo cut off function will start "blipping" the throttle and cut off the throttle completely once the voltage is at 6.25 V. NiMH cells generally do not hold their voltage like the lipo cells do...so they will very easily drop below 6.25V.
steve/tfrahm,
i just checked the lipo setting at the one-touch set-up.
as i had expected, the lipo cut-off was switched OFF, i.e. amber/red lights blinked once only.
remember, the last time the glitching and subsequent shutdown occurred, it was in the very first lap of my race. the fully charged IB4200 is unlikely to be below 6.25v at that point.
is there any other thing that comes to mind?
someone suggested that it could be due to the voltage SPIKE from a fully charged nimh ...
Old 04-07-2008, 09:16 AM   #6052
The Evicerator

You mentioned that this was with a 13.5 SS motor... with a bonded or sintered rotor...?

Also when your ESC lost power did your car loose steering as well or just throttle response?

It's always a good idea to double check the sensor harness wires and make sure that none of them are backed out of the connector as this can cause odd behavior.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:32 AM   #6053
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to revolution31

Hey Steve,

Do you think running a GTB 4-cell without a fan in a Touring Car would be ok using 4cell - 4600 NiMHs and a 13.5 or 17.5 brushless motor? I intend on putting the extra capacitor on the spektrum receiver to hopefully keep it from cutting out when the voltage drops, but I am afraid the GTB 4-cell may get too hot in a TC.

Thanks,
~Tyler
revolution31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:10 AM   #6054
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It's definately not recommended but I have run a 4 cell GTB outdoors in sedan with a 13.5 and no fan. This was rubber tire with LiPo. Mine barely got warm in 5 minutes.

Just be super careful of the speedo temps.
Fred_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:00 AM   #6055
The Evicerator

I can't say that this is the best possible setup but I think that in a sedan with 4 cells and a 13.5 or 17.5 the 4 cell GTB should probably be ok... I would recommend that you run a fan on the ESC just to be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolution31 View Post
Hey Steve,

Do you think running a GTB 4-cell without a fan in a Touring Car would be ok using 4cell - 4600 NiMHs and a 13.5 or 17.5 brushless motor? I intend on putting the extra capacitor on the spektrum receiver to hopefully keep it from cutting out when the voltage drops, but I am afraid the GTB 4-cell may get too hot in a TC.

Thanks,
~Tyler
Old 04-08-2008, 06:16 PM   #6056
Tech Addict

Thanks for the response.
I think I will probably just put a regular GTB in to be safe.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:10 PM   #6057
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 139 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to roadkill

hi steve, quick ? for you, I have a gtb 4 cell version,and a novak 17.5. I am going to run 19 turn(10.5) and was looking at trying a diff,shall we say,company's brushless motor, my ? is will other company's sensor lead plug into a novak,if so could you tell me wich ones work. thanx for your time
Old 04-08-2008, 07:16 PM   #6058
Tech Addict

I'm pretty sure all of the major brands of brushless motors use the same sensor wire connector. Novak, LRP, Hacker and Orion all use the same connector for sure.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:22 PM   #6059
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 139 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to roadkill

I was looking at stormers site,at speedpassion 10.5 and it said the sensor end was the same as lrp,and I was not sure if novak ends were diff or the same.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:41 PM   #6060
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss View Post
You mentioned that this was with a 13.5 SS motor... with a bonded or sintered rotor...?

Also when your ESC lost power did your car loose steering as well or just throttle response?

It's always a good idea to double check the sensor harness wires and make sure that none of them are backed out of the connector as this can cause odd behavior.

Steve,
it is with sintered rotor.
when the ESC lost power, the steering was the 1st thing i tested and it worked just fine.
puzzling.

i will double-check the harness but i still suspect it's something to do with the physical difference between a nimh pack and lipo pack on my car.
somewhere, somehow, something is coming into contact and creating glitch or interference.