R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-17-2008, 11:40 AM   #5896
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

It's just because the sensor is not receiving information that it normally should and that is causing the behavior you have noted.

It depends on which motor you go with but for an EX 10.5 (bonded rotor 4300 essentially) it would be $30 according to the forms on our website... If you wanted a SS 10.5 Pro (with sintered rotor and ribbed endbells) it is $35.

Just check the customer service section of www.teamnovak.com for more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stew215 View Post
it just seems like it doesn't have the voltage to move the motor cause if i spin it then hit the throttle it runs good but when i try to start it when its still the motor doesn't go anywhere

but anyway how much is a replacement for a 4300 ?

-thanks
Old 02-17-2008, 11:58 AM   #5897
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (95%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to loopedout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss View Post
Looped
that seems pretty strange, what was he geared? How big is the track?
geared 13:1 final drive, everyone else runs 12-13:1, track is 150 ft? oval typical lap for a 3.5 car is 3.8 to 3.9 seconds
Attached Thumbnails
Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss-rsz_rotor.jpg  

Last edited by loopedout; 02-17-2008 at 12:14 PM.
loopedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:29 PM   #5898
The Evicerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopedout View Post
geared 13:1 final drive, everyone else runs 12-13:1, track is 150 ft? oval typical lap for a 3.5 car is 3.8 to 3.9 seconds
Looped,

Well, that sort of damage generally occurs when you are under-geared or "free revving" the motor...

If he can maybe he can play with his gearing a bit... but I recommend sending the broken rotors in for us to take a look at.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:19 PM   #5899
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (95%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to loopedout

Ill have him send the rotors and the motor can in, the orig rotor/motor he's had for over a year I know of. It was just an oddity I thought, his gearing stayed the same with the new motor he bought and had no issues. His last name is McCormick, ill call him tonight and tell him to send them in, should he put attn to anyone on the package?
loopedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:43 PM   #5900
The Evicerator

Yeah,

Just send it to my attention ... be sure to fill out a warrantee claim form though so that we have his contact information.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:26 AM   #5901
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Hey Steve,

Do you know of any QC issues going on with the lastest batch of BL Motors?

Last week I bought a brand new 13.5 and 17.5 motor. I ran a 5-minute practice on the 17.5 to see where I need to go with gearing, then threw the new 13.5 in my car. I raced my first two qualifiers with it and felt it was too slow. After the 2nd race I pulled the 13.5 and installed my old 13.5 motor to finish the 3rd qual and main.

When I got home I removed the end-bell and rotor from the new 13.5, and then checked the bearing in the end-bell by hand spinning the end-bell on the end of the rotor. To my surprise, the rotor was wobbling. I immediately thought that the bearing was not installed completely straight. I confirmed by checking the same rotor on another end-bell, and it spun flat and straight. Since I found the issue on the 13.5, I also pulled the end-bell off my new 17.5 and found that the bearing/end-bell was even worse than my new 13.5.

I was able to press the bearings in the rest of the way with a brass drift and bench vise with soft jaws on them.

Thoughts or Opinions?
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:31 AM   #5902
The Evicerator

KN,

This was the large bearing in the front aluminum endbell?

I will go check their pressing fixture but I have a feeling that your endbells are the exception rather than the rule so to speak.

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention, if you PM me your mailing address I can probably get you two brand new endbells sent out to you to replace the ones you currently have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
Hey Steve,

Do you know of any QC issues going on with the lastest batch of BL Motors?

Last week I bought a brand new 13.5 and 17.5 motor. I ran a 5-minute practice on the 17.5 to see where I need to go with gearing, then threw the new 13.5 in my car. I raced my first two qualifiers with it and felt it was too slow. After the 2nd race I pulled the 13.5 and installed my old 13.5 motor to finish the 3rd qual and main.

When I got home I removed the end-bell and rotor from the new 13.5, and then checked the bearing in the end-bell by hand spinning the end-bell on the end of the rotor. To my surprise, the rotor was wobbling. I immediately thought that the bearing was not installed completely straight. I confirmed by checking the same rotor on another end-bell, and it spun flat and straight. Since I found the issue on the 13.5, I also pulled the end-bell off my new 17.5 and found that the bearing/end-bell was even worse than my new 13.5.

I was able to press the bearings in the rest of the way with a brass drift and bench vise with soft jaws on them.

Thoughts or Opinions?
Old 02-20-2008, 06:37 AM   #5903
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Broady Racing
Default ex 13.5 problem

Hi Steve . we have been helping a friend put together his tc5 and install a xbr / ex 13.5 system and struck a problem . When completed and we went for a test and the car chattered when full throttle applied . We could get some good speed when the throttle applied slowly but any quick throttle caused the problem . So we slowly checked everything and finally installed one of our old ex 13.5 and away she went , good as . So ,nothing wrong with xbr or placement of electronics etc just the motor . Any hints on how to correct this or should we send it back . We are in oz and combo was purchased via tower hobbies . Thanks in advance
Broady Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:58 AM   #5904
The Evicerator

Broady,

Interesting problem...but I think I have a few things for you to try.

First off, make sure that the rotor is shimmed as far "in" as possible without being bound up... if there is alot of endplay this can contribute to the problem you are having.

Also, you might want to try turning the timing up in the motor a bit.

You do this by loosening the three flat head 1/16" screws on the back of the motor and turning the slotted timing ring counter-clockwise a bit.

Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broady Racing View Post
Hi Steve . we have been helping a friend put together his tc5 and install a xbr / ex 13.5 system and struck a problem . When completed and we went for a test and the car chattered when full throttle applied . We could get some good speed when the throttle applied slowly but any quick throttle caused the problem . So we slowly checked everything and finally installed one of our old ex 13.5 and away she went , good as . So ,nothing wrong with xbr or placement of electronics etc just the motor . Any hints on how to correct this or should we send it back . We are in oz and combo was purchased via tower hobbies . Thanks in advance
Old 02-20-2008, 09:30 AM   #5905
Tech Fanatic

cherry Dr Pepper or vanilla Coke?
Old 02-20-2008, 09:33 AM   #5906
The Evicerator

I dunno... I'm a big fan of "originals" ... like ORIGINAL pringles... doritos..coke...etc... maybe I'm boring but that's just the way I am.

If I had to choose one... I'd go with vanilla coke.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:37 PM   #5907
Tech Master

Hey, Steve I know you run dual capacitors on your low turn motors. Would it do any good on a Mabuchi or HPI's Saturn sealed can motors?
HB Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #5908
The Evicerator

Hey Moose,

I really don't know that it would buy you a whole lot with those types of motors... it certainly wouldn't hurt to give it a try but off the top of my head I wouldn't think that it'd make a huge deal
Old 02-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #5909
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hey Steve.

What should the FDR be for the 5.5r and the 6.5r when running them in a 4wd buggy?

Thanks
Chris
HVAC25000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:14 PM   #5910
The Evicerator

It's been a while but I think that you should start out around 11.0 with the 5.5 and 10.0 with the 6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC25000 View Post
Hey Steve.

What should the FDR be for the 5.5r and the 6.5r when running them in a 4wd buggy?

Thanks
Chris