R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-27-2008, 08:33 PM   #5836
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Hey Steve. I was thinking about putting a brushless in my 1/12 scale. However I am concerned because my friend told me that he cant get as much drag brake with his brushless GTB as he did with his brushed motor. And yes he has the drag brake at the maximum setting in the custom settings. Does this sound right?

I for one love using drag brake. I use the slow in fast out approach..
HRCRACER123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:54 PM   #5837
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Well alot of factors go into how much effective drag brake you end up having... Gearing, tire size, motor wind, and rotor choice all factor in.

If you are in search of more drag brake try shortening up your gear ratio or going up to the 13.0 mm rotor.

We sometimes will make small modifications to the software as it evolves... IE for instance people wanted smaller increments for drag brake selection so we closed up the space between the increments. If the entire window needs to be shifted for more people's preferences this will be something we will have to consider doing if necessary.

Let me know how the above ideas work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRCRACER123 View Post
Hey Steve. I was thinking about putting a brushless in my 1/12 scale. However I am concerned because my friend told me that he cant get as much drag brake with his brushless GTB as he did with his brushed motor. And yes he has the drag brake at the maximum setting in the custom settings. Does this sound right?

I for one love using drag brake. I use the slow in fast out approach..
Old 01-28-2008, 08:57 AM   #5838
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Good luck in Florida, Steve type. I am sure the weather will be much better there than it has been here the past 10 days.

RC America / XRayUSA / Hudy / Motiv / Avid / Vannen Watches
J.Filipow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:50 AM   #5839
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Steve, When are you going to jump bank into COD4 with us?
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:04 PM   #5840
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss View Post
Well alot of factors go into how much effective drag brake you end up having... Gearing, tire size, motor wind, and rotor choice all factor in.

If you are in search of more drag brake try shortening up your gear ratio or going up to the 13.0 mm rotor.

We sometimes will make small modifications to the software as it evolves... IE for instance people wanted smaller increments for drag brake selection so we closed up the space between the increments. If the entire window needs to be shifted for more people's preferences this will be something we will have to consider doing if necessary.

Let me know how the above ideas work.
I only have a SS+ but assume it is quite similar in settings. In my personal experience I can only get enough drag brake for my taste if I also increase the min brake. Do these two settings kinda go hand in hand for this purpose? I really only use the brakes in an emergency and let the drag brake handle normal braking.

Tamiya TRF417X (Lion's Automotive GTR)
Tamiya TRF416X
Tamiya F104W MP6/4 converted to F104X1 (Renault R30)
padailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:32 PM   #5841
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by padailey View Post
I only have a SS+ but assume it is quite similar in settings. In my personal experience I can only get enough drag brake for my taste if I also increase the min brake. Do these two settings kinda go hand in hand for this purpose? I really only use the brakes in an emergency and let the drag brake handle normal braking.
On the GTB the drag brake and min brake are the same numerical setting; if you set one then read the other, you see the number you just set. The one you set last determines whether you get drag brake or no drag brake.
MarkBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:32 PM   #5842
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)
Default 13 mm tuning rotor

Steve,

I currently run 13.5 pro stock and I have great top speed but would like a little bit more grunt coming out of the corners. If I change to the 13mm tuning rotor will I loose my top speed?
anotherrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:38 AM   #5843
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Hi Steve

Thanks for your help with the previous motor question, I have another sorry.

I currently use the 13.5 EX as our governing body hasnt approved the use of sintered rotors as yet. The problem I have with this motor is overheating. I just ruined a motor and i was running an FDR of 5.16 then 5.48 then 5.85 to reduce heat and the thermal overload protection kept kicking in forcing me out of the race. I also had lipo cutoff and maximum drag brake applied to the XBR speedie, do these cause excessive heating when applied? Do you have any suggestions on gearing for the cyclone with the EX motor? I was going to use a 72 spur and 32 pinion which gives me a 36 rollout and 5.48 FDR, but I'm not sure anymore lol. I just purchased a new EX 13.5 for stock and also an SS 13.5 pro to run in 19 turn but want to make sure I set them correctly so I dont kill another motor. I've heard of a trick to do with the EX motors by adjusting the timing ring ever so slightly and it stops the thermalling but not sure of how to do it or even if it works.

Look forward to your response.

Cheers again
Adrian
Old 01-29-2008, 07:09 AM   #5844
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HVFracingwilly

From my personal experience drag brake will heat up a motor rather quickly try running without it and see what affects that has.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:45 AM   #5845
Tech Elite

Thanks Willy. It's pretty silly to have a recommended FDR of 4.8 when that would clearly melt my motor lol. Ill give it a try and share the results.

Cheers
Adrian
Old 01-30-2008, 04:59 AM   #5846
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vazzo View Post
Thanks Willy. It's pretty silly to have a recommended FDR of 4.8 when that would clearly melt my motor lol. Ill give it a try and share the results.

Cheers
Adrian
Adrian its probably worth noting that the drive ratio charts I've seen on the website are for the sintered rotor only, which is a completely different kettle of fish to our bonded rotors.

I think that's what caught heavy out at the gold coast challenge
Ashley Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:50 AM   #5847
Tech Elite

Ah k. Do you know the FDR of the bonded man?

Cheers
Adrian
Old 01-30-2008, 01:15 PM   #5848
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I ran 37.06 mmpr (5.34) all day at Bayside on Sunday - very hot day - and my motor didn't get over 130 degree F and was as quick as anything else there on the day.

I have never tried a bonded rotor at 4.85 (40.77mmpr in my car).
Boondall. SuperShot, XX, SVR,Schumacher Storm BigWig
heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:56 AM   #5849
The Evicerator

Hey guys,

Sorry that I've been away the last few days.... been VERY busy here at the Snowbirds in Florida!

Padailey,

The settings sort of go hand in hand but one will over-ride the other if you select one over the other... let me explain:

If you edit the minimum brake setting, it will disable drag brake and your minimum brake value will be whatever you set it to... for example we'll say 10%.

If you edit the drag brake setting, it will enable the drag brake and set the drag brake percentage to whatever you select... for example 20%...it will ALSO set the minimum brake value to this value.

Now let me explain why... if we allowed them to be set completely independantly, it would be possible, like in the above examples... to have a situation where you could have less minimum brake then drag brake.... this would result in a 20% drag brake at neutral....but when you went to use the push brake... the braking force would actually be REDUCED to 10%... effectively making your car stop decellerating... or coasting instead of braking!

So... If you want there to be drag brake... only adjust the drag brake setting.

If you don't want drag brakes... use the minimum brake setting to set your brake sensitivity off of neutral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padailey View Post
Old 01-31-2008, 04:58 AM   #5850
The Evicerator

If you switch over to the 13.0 mm rotor you will probably have to gear up a bit to get the same straight-away speed...usually in touring cars/offroad cars I gear up 2 teeth on the pinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherrcguy View Post
Steve,

I currently run 13.5 pro stock and I have great top speed but would like a little bit more grunt coming out of the corners. If I change to the 13mm tuning rotor will I loose my top speed?