R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-06-2007, 10:30 PM   #5656
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Hi Diane,

Sorry to hear you're having some trouble with your sytem but I think I have a few ideas as to what might be going on.

First of all, youhave the 13.5 pro motor which comes with the sintered rotor... if your racing buddies have the older 13.5's that have bonded rotors your motor will feel like it has much more cog to it than theirs. The sintered rotor is a much stronger magnet and causes a stronger "bind" like what you are feeling.

Because of this higher magnetic strength, the motor usually as to be geared up to get the same top speed as the bonded rotor... I would bet if you geared up a few more teeth your problems would go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadiesFirst View Post
Hi Steve,
I am new to brushless, but not new to RC. I have been racing OFFROAD since 1990 off and on. An RC friend of mine told me to ask you about my problem (even though this is an onroad string).

About two weeks ago, I purchased a new Novak GTB 13.5 SS Pro system for my Losi truck. The track where I race is small and the highest pinion they allow for stock brushless is 19T. I run a Losi MF1 truck with 88 tooth spur.

I installed the brushless system a couple of nights ago (everthing is presoldered) and took it out to practice at the off road track tonight. I also have the Spectrum radio and receiver and adjusted the radio accordingly with what adjustments it allows (no expotential). I first did the one touch programming for the ESC. I then changed the profile to #2, as I wanted to use reverse while practicing. I then also dialed in about 21% drag brake.

The unit did not perform as I expected it to and had been told by others. The throttle was extremely soft and the motor had no punch at all. I have friends that have the very same system who tell me theirs have a lot of punch. One friend says that his motor spins "like crazy" when you handturn it with a pinion on it (not with power, just by hand). Mine spins just a little more than a brushed stock motor - not very freely - which did surprise me. Can you tell me what is the standard for this, or if there might be a potential problem with mine? Any help you can give me would be hugely appreciated!

Diane
Old 12-07-2007, 12:04 AM   #5657
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey Steve,

Good news! Jason said he'll be able to lend me a Novak 10.5. Anyway, see you at the track. And thanks for your help, Wally

RC America/ X-ray/ SRG www.superradgraphics.com/ Hudy/ R1wurks/ TeamBocaBearings
GTRtuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:17 AM   #5658
Tech Fanatic

Thank you, Steve.

Actually, my buddies just bought their systems about a week or two before me (at the same store) so they are the same generation as mine and theirs are sintered also, as I asked them. I made a point of buying the same system, and they were all disappearing off the shelves as soon as the store got them in. The main difference is that the one friend bought his specifically for the Spectrum radio so had to buy motor and ESC separately, and I just bought the regular one in the kit. My other friend had to buy the motor and ESC separately also as the store was out of the kit, but my understanding is that they are the same, the kits just come presoldered.

I did notice, however, that my speed control had a strong smell the first time I turned it on, and continues to have the smell. I hadn't even run it at that time. I noticed the smell right away and it continued while I did the one step programming and the changes.

The ESC wasn't even warm, and neither was the motor, My friend that has the motor that spins very freely has the same one I have, unless the Spectrum motor is different. I have the one for any radio, although I run Spectrum. He did suggest I go up on the gearing also. I also reprogramed the ESC with the one step program to put it back to factory specs and took it outside to run in the street. It seemed a little better, but a track will tell me more. I bought an Orion hard case Lipo about two weeks before my brushless and have only used it 2-3 times. It seemed fine, but tonight at the it seemed flat, as I had completely charged it about a week ago. I thought that Lipos weren't supposed to be bothered by sitting fully charged and were not supposed to lose any charge, but when I repeaked it tonight after I got home, it seemed to help, even though it didn't really take much more charge.

Now, would using the Profile 2 (with 100% reverse) affect the punch in forward? Would dialing in drag brake also affect the punch? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for your patience and your kind help.

Diane
Old 12-07-2007, 08:58 AM   #5659
The Evicerator

Diane,

Going from profile 1 to 2 should not effect the punch or drive performance of the ESC in any way.

There is no "spread spectrum motor", only the ESCs... so as long as you guys all have 13.5's with sintered rotors you should be on the same page.

If your ESC is emminating a strange smell that is never a good sign. It's not often that something is bad out of the box but it does happen from time to time.

If you unsolder the motor from the ESC and the ESC is off does it still have more drag on it than your friends? If it feels different once it's unsoldered from the ESC there is a chance that something is definately wrong with the ESC and I recommend that you send it in for service.

Quote:
Thank you, Steve.

Actually, my buddies just bought their systems about a week or two before me (at the same store) so they are the same generation as mine and theirs are sintered also, as I asked them. I made a point of buying the same system, and they were all disappearing off the shelves as soon as the store got them in. The main difference is that the one friend bought his specifically for the Spectrum radio so had to buy motor and ESC separately, and I just bought the regular one in the kit. My other friend had to buy the motor and ESC separately also as the store was out of the kit, but my understanding is that they are the same, the kits just come presoldered.

I did notice, however, that my speed control had a strong smell the first time I turned it on, and continues to have the smell. I hadn't even run it at that time. I noticed the smell right away and it continued while I did the one step programming and the changes.

The ESC wasn't even warm, and neither was the motor, My friend that has the motor that spins very freely has the same one I have, unless the Spectrum motor is different. I have the one for any radio, although I run Spectrum. He did suggest I go up on the gearing also. I also reprogramed the ESC with the one step program to put it back to factory specs and took it outside to run in the street. It seemed a little better, but a track will tell me more. I bought an Orion hard case Lipo about two weeks before my brushless and have only used it 2-3 times. It seemed fine, but tonight at the it seemed flat, as I had completely charged it about a week ago. I thought that Lipos weren't supposed to be bothered by sitting fully charged and were not supposed to lose any charge, but when I repeaked it tonight after I got home, it seemed to help, even though it didn't really take much more charge.

Now, would using the Profile 2 (with 100% reverse) affect the punch in forward? Would dialing in drag brake also affect the punch? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for your patience and your kind help.

Diane
Old 12-07-2007, 09:19 AM   #5660
Tech Fanatic

Thank you, Steve. I called Novak yesterday before I went to the track to ask about the smell, and the tech (John) didn't know what to think. I will probably call again today to talk to him and see if I can at least send the unit in to have it checked. I may try to unsolder the leads and try what you say, although I hate to do that. I am not as clean at soldering as the factory guys . Thanks for all your help on this.

Diane
Old 12-07-2007, 12:52 PM   #5661
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Steve,
You racing the Toy Drive race at BCR next Sat?
Just wondering if you and Randy were intrested in doing a 12th scale if you were. If not its all good. Just wondering.
-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:39 PM   #5662
The Evicerator

No problem, I hope we can get to the bottom of your problem soon!

Quote:
Thank you, Steve. I called Novak yesterday before I went to the track to ask about the smell, and the tech (John) didn't know what to think. I will probably call again today to talk to him and see if I can at least send the unit in to have it checked. I may try to unsolder the leads and try what you say, although I hate to do that. I am not as clean at soldering as the factory guys . Thanks for all your help on this.

Diane
Old 12-07-2007, 01:51 PM   #5663
The Evicerator

Hey Shook,

I was planning on racing sedan...but I could see about getting my 1/12 car together to run on the asphalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie View Post
Steve,
You racing the Toy Drive race at BCR next Sat?
Just wondering if you and Randy were intrested in doing a 12th scale if you were. If not its all good. Just wondering.
-Shookie <><
Old 12-09-2007, 10:31 AM   #5664
Tech Fanatic

Default PM

Steve,
You have a PM from me. If possible I need your input ASAP. Thank you.

Diane
Old 12-11-2007, 08:53 AM   #5665
The Evicerator

*whistles a bit*
Old 12-11-2007, 09:15 AM   #5666
Tech Regular

Hey Steve,

I have been running a 13.5/Lipo for about a month, last Sunday it did some strange stuff. Once it wouldn't move when I set the car down, I rolled it forward and it took off. Then during the racing it would shut off, coast for a while and take off again, the steering always worked so I don't think it is the radio (2.4 Futaba). Josh gave me a different rotor to try but it didn't do anything.

I cleaned the sensors with alcohol and plan to try it again today, it worked fine on the bench. Let me know if you have any ideas...motor, speed control, whatever.

Ted
Ted Flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:34 AM   #5667
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

have you given up on COD4? Is Mass Effect that much better?
Tony Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:57 AM   #5668
The Evicerator

Hey Ted,

Sounds like it could be a couple of different things:

1.) Sensor problem... either a sensor is bad, or the wiring between the motor and the ESC is bad... check all the wires and the connector at the ESC side... make sure all the sockets are plugged into the plastic connector.

2.) ESC problem... It's possible a transistor in one of the phases has gone bad and is responsible for the "push start" condition or the inconsistancies under load.

Try another know "good" motor if you can and if it reacts the same way you know it's the ESC and it's time to send it in for repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Flack View Post
Hey Steve,

I have been running a 13.5/Lipo for about a month, last Sunday it did some strange stuff. Once it wouldn't move when I set the car down, I rolled it forward and it took off. Then during the racing it would shut off, coast for a while and take off again, the steering always worked so I don't think it is the radio (2.4 Futaba). Josh gave me a different rotor to try but it didn't do anything.

I cleaned the sensors with alcohol and plan to try it again today, it worked fine on the bench. Let me know if you have any ideas...motor, speed control, whatever.

Ted
Old 12-11-2007, 09:58 AM   #5669
The Evicerator

Hahah Hey Tony,

No, I haven't given up on it... just had this bug to play ME for a bit...I'm having fun with it though that's for sure!

I'll try to get on maybe for wed night and shoot you and the other guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Vega View Post
have you given up on COD4? Is Mass Effect that much better?
Old 12-11-2007, 12:22 PM   #5670
Tech Elite

Steve, totally off topic but, do you know if there is a relatively simple way to measure the timing on a sealed can motor like a Mabuchi?????? Asked this question on the silver can thread, but no one seemed to know. Are you going to be at SoCal anytime this week????
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote