R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-05-2007, 09:12 AM   #5641
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Hey Trailranger,

Well I think I need to clear a few things up... the 4700 uf capacitor is placed between the positive and negative battery terminals to smooth out the ripple current caused by the switching of the transistors in the ESC.

Generally our team drivers have been using the transcap module that comes on the GTB with the GTX as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailranger View Post
Steve in reading on the NOVAK website, it says to use a 47uf capacitor bridged between the positive and negitive motor tabs for low frequency ESC's. I have also heard that based upon the motor rpm you can size a capacitor to help eliminate the ripple current that can damage an ESC and improve motor performace by 1~2%.

Has novak considered making a TransCap/Diode module for brushed motors. I understand there are EMF filtering caps of .1uf but all they do really is block some of the noise, not improve on the motor.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:33 PM   #5642
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Equil..

Steve,
I know this has been asked crap loads already but our club is beginning to have issues with brushless/brushless equivalents. If we cant sort this issue quickly we will lose valuable members. We have been testing the 13.5 in stock 27. There was to be limits on gearing but this has not been enforced nor will it be. Our brushed guys find they are between 1 & 2 laps down every race. I found the following on a thread here.Could you please give us Novaks position in regards to this issue please.
Terry

.................................................. ........................................
Alex-Im not sure if you havent ran enough motor's or what. But what I said has been tested.
The 4300 for SURE is a 19 turn equiv.
The 17.5 is a true stock 27 turn motor equiv.
The 13.5 is actually a 23 turn or a average 19 turn equiv.
This has been tested time and time again by pro drivers and the times will prove what I just said above.
Les
.................................................. ..................................................
Team Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:13 PM   #5643
The Evicerator

Hey Ash,

I don't really know that we have an official party line on what motor is equivalent in every application... it seems that the 10.5 is a good fit for the 19t class

As far as the 13.5 goes it seems that with the introduction of the sintered rotors it seems to have a bit of a leg up on most of the stock motors out there...so dropping down to a 17.5 might definately level the playing field...

I personally think more testing needs to be done though.. not just "well bob is running a brushless system and he beats me...so it must be faster than what I'm running"

I'd love to take some time out of my schedule and run nothing but stock/19 motors and brushless motors back to back and compare lap times but I'm stuck in the office more often than not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Ash View Post
Steve,
I know this has been asked crap loads already but our club is beginning to have issues with brushless/brushless equivalents. If we cant sort this issue quickly we will lose valuable members. We have been testing the 13.5 in stock 27. There was to be limits on gearing but this has not been enforced nor will it be. Our brushed guys find they are between 1 & 2 laps down every race. I found the following on a thread here.Could you please give us Novaks position in regards to this issue please.
Terry

.................................................. ........................................
Alex-Im not sure if you havent ran enough motor's or what. But what I said has been tested.
This has been tested time and time again by pro drivers and the times will prove what I just said above.
Les
.................................................. ..................................................
Old 12-05-2007, 03:24 PM   #5644
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to flameoutgarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss View Post
Hey Ash,

I don't really know that we have an official party line on what motor is equivalent in every application... it seems that the 10.5 is a good fit for the 19t class

As far as the 13.5 goes it seems that with the introduction of the sintered rotors it seems to have a bit of a leg up on most of the stock motors out there...so dropping down to a 17.5 might definately level the playing field...

I personally think more testing needs to be done though.. not just "well bob is running a brushless system and he beats me...so it must be faster than what I'm running"

I'd love to take some time out of my schedule and run nothing but stock/19 motors and brushless motors back to back and compare lap times but I'm stuck in the office more often than not
thats what team drivers are for....

use em and abuse em
Old 12-05-2007, 03:26 PM   #5645
Tech Fanatic

Steve,

this is a direct quote from Novak Webiste.

"The ESC can be damaged if the proper type and number of capacitors are not used. Three 0.1F (50 V) capacitors MUST be soldered on EVERY motor connected to the ESC (unless they are already in the motor); one from the positive motor brush tab to the ground tab; one from the negative motor brush tab to the ground tab; and one between the positive and negative motor brush tabs. If using a low frequency ESC, a 47F electrolytic capacitor must be installed between the positive and negative motor brush tabs."

Also I do know as your ESC freq or the motor RPM increases you increase the chance of "popping" the capacitor due to ESR not being low enough. This would not be a problem when using ceramic capacitors in conjunction such as on the TransCap modual.

For testing, all that would be needed is to remove the 4700uf capacitor from the trans cap modual and replace it with either a 22uf or 47uf UltraLow ESR capacitor and wire it to the motor tabs along with the 36AMP diode modual. I found with a modual I made with a normal 16V 10uf capacitor, two 10amp diodes and one 50V 1uf ceramic capaicitor the motor efficiency is about 1 to 2% better than with just the diodes alone. I think it may be worth looking into for testing.
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:35 PM   #5646
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean

i know i asked this in another thread but here goes anyways...

Know if this thing can run a 13.5 motor?

http://www.shopatron.com/product/par...65.26354.0.0.0

Its the Novak Super Sport crawler ESC. Just wonderin how capable it is in regular non-crawling situations...cuz if it is then the price its at becomes much more attractive

The downloadable manual from team novaks website says it will go down to 8.5. Here is the link to the manual...

http://www.teamnovak.com/download/in...rawler_ins.pdf

Answers straight from the horse's mouth are always the best! Just sucks that my horses arent very helpful, i go into my backyard and ask them for help and they just rest their head on my arm.
Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:32 PM   #5647
Tech Fanatic

Ooo... xtreme rock crawling with 13.5. I've seen xtreme crawling on the outdoor channel. Pretty much an circut course drag race on two courses. Each course is ran forwards then backwards for a total of 4 runs. Winner takes all with lowest overall time.
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:45 PM   #5648
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Ash View Post
Steve,
Terry

Les

Alot of it comes down to how you drive and the lines you take and avoiding pileups. We are only doing 20 laps when we have consistensy under .4 which is alot lower than other drivers at the monment. That being said, its not impossible for a brushed motor to do 20 laps, Simon Orford last season was doing 20 laps easily with a monster stock in a xxx-s chassis which isnt no T2007 . Down the straight, theres 2 or so stock cars that are just as fast if not faster. Im not saying brushless has no advantage, but driving is alot more important than a small difference in speed. I will be trying a brushed motor for qualifying next week and ill see what lap times and race times are like.
LRP, Intellect, Futaba
rcstunt101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:12 AM   #5649
The Evicerator

Syber,

The ESC will run that motor but there is some fancy software in the ESC that knows that that motor isn't a "crawler" motor and thus won't enable the special crawling profile that makes the ESC so unique... what happens when you connect any other motor to the crawler ESC other than the 18.5 or 21.5 crawlers is that it will revert to normal brushless type profile with throttle/neutral/brake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syber Serulean View Post
i know i asked this in another thread but here goes anyways...

Know if this thing can run a 13.5 motor?

http://www.shopatron.com/product/par...65.26354.0.0.0

Its the Novak Super Sport crawler ESC. Just wonderin how capable it is in regular non-crawling situations...cuz if it is then the price its at becomes much more attractive

The downloadable manual from team novaks website says it will go down to 8.5. Here is the link to the manual...

http://www.teamnovak.com/download/in...rawler_ins.pdf

Answers straight from the horse's mouth are always the best! Just sucks that my horses arent very helpful, i go into my backyard and ask them for help and they just rest their head on my arm.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:50 AM   #5650
Tech Elite

Quote:
Syber,

The ESC will run that motor but there is some fancy software in the ESC that knows that that motor isn't a "crawler" motor and thus won't enable the special crawling profile that makes the ESC so unique... what happens when you connect any other motor to the crawler ESC other than the 18.5 or 21.5 crawlers is that it will revert to normal brushless type profile with throttle/neutral/brake.
thats awesome, actually. Exactly what i wanted to hear haha. Seems like a steal now that i think about...$70 novak BL esc...ill have to tell my friend about it. Thanks for the response!

another question though...will it drive funky in normal mode? Im assuming not...but i guess its worth asking. Like...compared to my XBR, how would that esc "feel" with the same 13.5?
Old 12-06-2007, 12:09 PM   #5651
The Evicerator

It should feel just like a super sport plus felt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syber Serulean View Post
thats awesome, actually. Exactly what i wanted to hear haha. Seems like a steal now that i think about...$70 novak BL esc...ill have to tell my friend about it. Thanks for the response!

another question though...will it drive funky in normal mode? Im assuming not...but i guess its worth asking. Like...compared to my XBR, how would that esc "feel" with the same 13.5?
Old 12-06-2007, 12:28 PM   #5652
Tech Elite

Quote:
It should feel just like a super sport plus felt.
...if only i knew...

lol

Anyways...i got one more question for you...

paper or plastic?
Old 12-06-2007, 09:32 PM   #5653
Tech Fanatic

Default New brushless system problems

Hi Steve,
I am new to brushless, but not new to RC. I have been racing OFFROAD since 1990 off and on. An RC friend of mine told me to ask you about my problem (even though this is an onroad string).

About two weeks ago, I purchased a new Novak GTB 13.5 SS Pro system for my Losi truck. The track where I race is small and the highest pinion they allow for stock brushless is 19T. I run a Losi MF1 truck with 88 tooth spur.

I installed the brushless system a couple of nights ago (everthing is presoldered) and took it out to practice at the off road track tonight. I also have the Spectrum radio and receiver and adjusted the radio accordingly with what adjustments it allows (no expotential). I first did the one touch programming for the ESC. I then changed the profile to #2, as I wanted to use reverse while practicing. I then also dialed in about 21% drag brake.

The unit did not perform as I expected it to and had been told by others. The throttle was extremely soft and the motor had no punch at all. I have friends that have the very same system who tell me theirs have a lot of punch. One friend says that his motor spins "like crazy" when you handturn it with a pinion on it (not with power, just by hand). Mine spins just a little more than a brushed stock motor - not very freely - which did surprise me. Can you tell me what is the standard for this, or if there might be a potential problem with mine? Any help you can give me would be hugely appreciated!

Diane
Old 12-06-2007, 09:42 PM   #5654
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey Steve, they didn't come in. I was hoping to use your motors for the Stockton race but I'm not sure if you guys sent them out. I was hoping Charlie would tell you...

RC America/ X-ray/ SRG www.superradgraphics.com/ Hudy/ R1wurks/ TeamBocaBearings
GTRtuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:26 PM   #5655
The Evicerator

Sorry Walter

I guess charlie was just too busy to get everyone's stuff out in time

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRtuned View Post
Hey Steve, they didn't come in. I was hoping to use your motors for the Stockton race but I'm not sure if you guys sent them out. I was hoping Charlie would tell you...