R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-03-2007, 02:12 AM   #5626
Tech Elite
 
LOSI123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Gold Coast-Australia
Posts: 2,616
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)
Default

what about for a 5.5 ?
LOSI123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:18 AM   #5627
Tech Adept
 
c0sie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 237
Default

Hi Steve,

Do you have anymore information on the Mongoose?

Any idea on motor KV ratings, and a potential release date?

Many thanks

Cris

PS: And motor weight if possible?
__________________
:: Carisma : Phat Bodies : Custom Blitz Paint : RCbearings : CML Distribution : UK-MicroRC ::

Last edited by c0sie; 12-03-2007 at 05:18 AM.
c0sie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:00 AM   #5628
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 4,142
Default

Um...that's what I said... about an 8.5 Final Drive ratio. With a 5.5R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSI123 View Post
what about for a 5.5 ?
__________________
Steve Weiss
TEAM ASSOCIATED -- REEDY -- SANWA -- PROTOFORM -- 1UP Racing -- ActivRC -- P1 BRAND -- TEAM KINWALD -- TEAM STEVE INTERNATIONAL
Steve Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:02 AM   #5629
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 4,142
Default

Hey COsie,

We haven't really finalized the KV's yet...those are going to be dependant on what factors we finalize on... sorry

I'm really not sure on the release date yet though... they are talking in terms of a few months though... so relatively soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0sie View Post
Hi Steve,

Do you have anymore information on the Mongoose?

Any idea on motor KV ratings, and a potential release date?

Many thanks

Cris

PS: And motor weight if possible?
__________________
Steve Weiss
TEAM ASSOCIATED -- REEDY -- SANWA -- PROTOFORM -- 1UP Racing -- ActivRC -- P1 BRAND -- TEAM KINWALD -- TEAM STEVE INTERNATIONAL
Steve Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:19 AM   #5630
Tech Adept
 
c0sie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 237
Default

Thanks for the reply man
__________________
:: Carisma : Phat Bodies : Custom Blitz Paint : RCbearings : CML Distribution : UK-MicroRC ::
c0sie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:57 AM   #5631
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,052
Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Default

Steve, when replacing a Normal Sintered rotor with a 13mm Tuning rotor, what kind of gearing changes will someone need to make? Also, what kind power/driving changes will someone experience?

Currently on my T2 '007, I'm running a Novak 13.5 SS on a GTB, gearing between 4.185 to 4.411 FDR. The track at Mike's is currently setup like the Novak Race layout. Temps after 5-minutes were 175F at 4.185 FDR, and 155F at 4.411.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if asked before.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:11 AM   #5632
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 4,142
Default

KN,

Usually with the 13.0 mm rotor we gear up two teeth on the pinion gear and that seems to get us into the ballpark for where we need to be.

The motor should have more of a naturual drag brake to it... more consistant brakes... they shouldn't fade nearly as much through a run... the motor temp should come down as well.

Some people feel that it has too much drag brake and need to chance their drag brake settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
Steve, when replacing a Normal Sintered rotor with a 13mm Tuning rotor, what kind of gearing changes will someone need to make? Also, what kind power/driving changes will someone experience?

Currently on my T2 '007, I'm running a Novak 13.5 SS on a GTB, gearing between 4.185 to 4.411 FDR. The track at Mike's is currently setup like the Novak Race layout. Temps after 5-minutes were 175F at 4.185 FDR, and 155F at 4.411.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if asked before.
__________________
Steve Weiss
TEAM ASSOCIATED -- REEDY -- SANWA -- PROTOFORM -- 1UP Racing -- ActivRC -- P1 BRAND -- TEAM KINWALD -- TEAM STEVE INTERNATIONAL
Steve Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:43 AM   #5633
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 65
Default

Hi Steve,

Do you guys by chance have a 12.7mm or some other 'tweener tuning rotor on the drawing board?

I ran the 13.5SS with the 13.0mm rotor for the first time in a 12th scale this weekend. It seems like the stock sintered rotor has too little drag and the 13.0 has way too much.

I was loving the torque even with the tallest gears i could fit in the car installed.

Thanks,
Chris
ckearns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:25 PM   #5634
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 4,142
Default

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the input!

We are always working on new things around here and something "in-between" doesn't sound like too much to ask for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckearns View Post
Hi Steve,

Do you guys by chance have a 12.7mm or some other 'tweener tuning rotor on the drawing board?

I ran the 13.5SS with the 13.0mm rotor for the first time in a 12th scale this weekend. It seems like the stock sintered rotor has too little drag and the 13.0 has way too much.

I was loving the torque even with the tallest gears i could fit in the car installed.

Thanks,
Chris
__________________
Steve Weiss
TEAM ASSOCIATED -- REEDY -- SANWA -- PROTOFORM -- 1UP Racing -- ActivRC -- P1 BRAND -- TEAM KINWALD -- TEAM STEVE INTERNATIONAL
Steve Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:17 AM   #5635
Tech Apprentice
 
Broady Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Brisbane, Aus
Posts: 94
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Broady Racing
Default EX PROBLEM

Hi Steve , We have just fitted a velociti heat sink sleve to one of our ex motors and when putting the motor back together the 4-40 cap head screws will not fully tighten . They reach the end of the motor and spin but will not tighten further . Thanks in advance
Broady Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:53 AM   #5636
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 4,142
Default

Hey Broady,

Thats sounds pretty strange... are you sure that the heatsink sleeve is fully seated agains the back end bell... if not the long 4-40 screws may not have enough threads to grab into properly.

Also double check the screws themselves... make sure the threads haven't worn or broken off at the very ends.

If there's something wrong with the screws I can have some sent out to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broady Racing View Post
Hi Steve , We have just fitted a velociti heat sink sleve to one of our ex motors and when putting the motor back together the 4-40 cap head screws will not fully tighten . They reach the end of the motor and spin but will not tighten further . Thanks in advance
__________________
Steve Weiss
TEAM ASSOCIATED -- REEDY -- SANWA -- PROTOFORM -- 1UP Racing -- ActivRC -- P1 BRAND -- TEAM KINWALD -- TEAM STEVE INTERNATIONAL
Steve Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:28 PM   #5637
Tech Elite
 
OSherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: o0O In the FishBowl O0o
Posts: 3,273
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default 10.5 Gearing..

Steve.. NUB question...

What gearing should I start at for the 10.5 SS (new setup with SINTERED rotor).. For say a LaMirada/Tamiya size track.. I frequently wander around the mid 5's (5.5-5.7) with CHECKPOINT and REEDY 19t. Can I treat this Brushless thing the same way??..

Also, is there a BLACK fan option for the GTB??...

thanks
-O
OSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:46 PM   #5638
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 4,142
Default

Hey Orlando!

I usually tell people to start out around 5.5 and go up if they can from there temperatures permitting... I think some guys get them up in the 4.8 range.

The only black fan that we offer is the 25x25x10 fan... alot of guys have been running it


Quote:
Originally Posted by OSherman View Post
Steve.. NUB question...

What gearing should I start at for the 10.5 SS (new setup with SINTERED rotor).. For say a LaMirada/Tamiya size track.. I frequently wander around the mid 5's (5.5-5.7) with CHECKPOINT and REEDY 19t. Can I treat this Brushless thing the same way??..

Also, is there a BLACK fan option for the GTB??...

thanks
-O
__________________
Steve Weiss
TEAM ASSOCIATED -- REEDY -- SANWA -- PROTOFORM -- 1UP Racing -- ActivRC -- P1 BRAND -- TEAM KINWALD -- TEAM STEVE INTERNATIONAL
Steve Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:05 PM   #5639
Tech Elite
 
OSherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: o0O In the FishBowl O0o
Posts: 3,273
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss View Post
Hey Orlando!

I usually tell people to start out around 5.5 and go up if they can from there temperatures permitting... I think some guys get them up in the 4.8 range.

The only black fan that we offer is the 25x25x10 fan... alot of guys have been running it
cool... thanks...
OSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:34 PM   #5640
Tech Fanatic
 
trailranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 946
Default

Steve in reading on the NOVAK website, it says to use a 47uf capacitor bridged between the positive and negitive motor tabs for low frequency ESC's. I have also heard that based upon the motor rpm you can size a capacitor to help eliminate the ripple current that can damage an ESC and improve motor performace by 1~2%.

Has novak considered making a TransCap/Diode module for brushed motors. I understand there are EMF filtering caps of .1uf but all they do really is block some of the noise, not improve on the motor.
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
STUFF FOR SALE """"LQQK """" EZRC R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 03-13-2007 07:20 PM
"""NEW""" Collari .21 3 port buggy motor lc21-b3 goneRVing R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 7 12-20-2006 06:25 PM
STUFF FOR SALE """"LQQK """" EZRC R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 11 10-22-2006 09:49 PM
""" XRAY FK05 """ excellent cond/super clean/stock evostyle R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 9 06-29-2006 10:04 PM
Let's send Steve Weiss (Evicerator) to Cleveland!!! TeamButter Electric On-Road 8 11-02-2004 11:32 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:00 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net